Joanie - Daggiesmom - Sunday 18-Dec Update

daggiesmom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

A little late to this post, but I'm so happy to hear that Joannie is doing well.

Continued prayers that her transition off the machines will be smooth and she'll be back at home to spend a wonderful holiday with your family.

Hugs,

Melinda

The mild sedative that I mentioned above didn't do the trick & her vitals started going all over the place Monday night as she gained consciousness. They put her back on the vent w/anesthesia & paralytic drug and left it that way on Tuesday.

The plan now is to slowly wean her off everything, rather than just stopping them as they did on Monday. They should start today. This will hopefully make for a smoother transition to consciousness.

I'll update when there is more news.

Brian

21-Dec Update: They did a bronchoscopy this morning & everything looks to be healing very well -- sutures holding, tissue healing, no blood, etc. She is still on the vent but they have stopped the paralytic drug and are cutting back on the sedation. Barring any complications, we hope for her to become conscious and for the docs to extubate tomorrow.

Brian

Brian,

Things are improving! So glad to read that! So VERY glad!

When I was first dx'd, I was on the vent, paralyzed and unconscious for 11 days in a row. I missed all the drama, all the hassle, all the discomfort, all the bad stuff and just had a long, lovely sleep. Everyone who loved me and sat by the bedside went through He**, but I never had a single inkling of anything going on at all. Not a bad dream - nothing. I was very glad I missed it! Woke up in time to get better and go home three days later!

Leslie

They were planning to extubate today but they are going to wait until the morning. She is borderline for needing the vent so the likely course is that they will do a trach in the morning & a peg for direct stomach feeding. In that way, they can eliminate the tubes that are going down her throat and improve her comfort.

They repeated a bronchoscopy this evening and everything still looks to be healing very well. She was also coming out of the sedation well today, vitals stable etc, and she squeezed my hand when I asked her to do so. However, they resedated her for today's bronchoscopy and are going to keep her that way until the trac &/or extubation in the morning.

If things go well, they hope to have her up & moving around by the middle of next week.

Brian