Just got PET/CT report

Sam'swifeShirley

Hi guys,

I don't think I've posted an update in a while. I swore that I would not post on the "good news" forum again but I think this is good news.

To remind you, after improving steadily thru April and May, except for my radiation pneumonitis and 24/7 oxygen requirement, I was optimistic. Then my oncologist found a right supraclavicular node that turned out to be metastatic large cell neuroendocrine cancer from who knows where. I was treated for LS-SCLC with six cycles of cisplatin-CPT11 and chest radiation from May-November of 2002.

Had the node excised on June 20, 03 and started chemo again, carboplatin and taxotere. I've had three cycles at three-week intervals with pretty nasty side effects including the fact that my radiation pneumonitis has apparently been reactivated. My cough was almost gone and has come back with a vengeance and my pulse ox is getting worse. I also convinced myself that the node in my neck is growing back.

The PET/CT showed NO CANCER. There was activity in both lungs consistent with radiation pneumonitis (no surprise).

I'm not sure what's next, radiation to the right supraclavicular area, more and maybe different chemo, maybe both. Might have to increase the steroids (arrrrgh). There's hope guys, hang with me.

Sam

Sam,

I think I'm addicted to this Board now, ha! I've been wondering how you're doing. I'm so glad to hear the cancer seems to be gone, but darn sorry the radiation pneumonitis is still sticking around.

Question: how long can that darn radiation pneumonia last, anyway?

My Dave has it now, at least they think (no one can seem to say FOR SURE that the mass on his CT scan and x ray is pneumonia and not another tumor, but all the docs are pretty sure that it is). He is feeling better after a big round of antibiotics but the mass is still there (after a follow up x ray after the antibiotics). I'm just wondering - until his lung scans are CLEAN I will be uneasy.

Take care, and it was great to hear from you.

God Bless us all, for sure!

Karen C.

Wow! That sounds like fantastic news to me. I'm so happy for you. I'll be curious to hear what they do next, keep us posted. I had to go to Emory for my PET scan, but now we are getting our very own top of the line PET/CT this week. Keep fighting, it seems to be working and the longer we hang in there, the more options we have.

Jenny

Sam,

Just read your note after having been off the Board for a few days. The news is FANTASTIC!!! For sure we are hanging in there with you and prayers continue for ongoing improvement!!!

Sam, Sam,

He's our man.

If Sam can do it,

Then we ALL can!

Love and Hugs,

Sam -

Sounds good! Just gotta get past this radiation pneumonitis and the problems you had previously with the steriods.............but remember, these are all just side effects! You've been the monster, now you just have to clean up his mess!

Hugs and prayers,

Sandy