Hello-I'm new

Purplemom

I've been on this site for awhile and it has been extremely helpful. So happy to have found it. Unfortunately, I'm computer illiterate and have had a hard time getting on. Not sure if this is right but here goes.

In Agust last year my mom mentioned she was having post-menopausal bleeding. It took some convincing to get her to see a doctor, then her appointment was postponed another month due to hurricane Wilma. We saw the GYN and he wanted to schedule a D&C for the end of Dec. We put it off a couple of weeks because my 16 yr old son was having surgery then, to remove a testicular mass. Fortunately, it was benign-Yeah.

Anyway, the day of the surgery, her anesthesiologist said they may want to do spinal anesthesia instead of local. Then her GYN asked if her GP had called us the night before. Well, no. So he said her pre-op chest x-ray had come back funny, but they felt it was important to do the D&C.

I spoke with the GP later and there were 2 masses, 7cm and 5cm. Everything since then has been a whirlwind. The D&C results were uterine cancer but they would not do a hysterectomy until chest was diagnosed. After, PET scans, CT scans, bronchoscopy, mediastinoscopy, she was told SCLC, the end of Feb.

It seemed like it took forever to get things rolling. Finally started mid March, and the end of May she finished 4 rounds of chemo, carbo and etopocide. And 30 radiation treatments. The f/u PET scan looked 80% better so the onc. wanted another one in 6 weeks, which she had thursday. We get the results in 2 days.

Of course, I'm hoping for the best and being cautiously optimistic, but my mom just doesn't ever feel well. She has never looked on the bright side of anything and has always complained about something, but now I can't let any complaint go because it could be something. I try to tell her attitude is everything etc., but so far that hasn't helped.

I'm so glad I can take care of her, I really am, but we have no other family members that can help, my sister lives in another state and they had a falling out years ago, so it is just me. At this point she won't leave the house except to see the doctor. She stopped driving when all this started, she still lives in her own home, 10 mins away. I do all her grocery shopping, her bills, make all her appts and take her to them, all with my 3 yr old son in tow. He knows the chemo doctor and the radiation place very well. (I just put him in pre school to give us both a break) My husband is very understanding but he is out of town alot and my other son who 17 now helps as much as he possibly can ,but he IS 17.

Most days I'm fine, on occasion I lose it for a minute and then it's back to business. I don't really have any questions, just had to get all of this out of my head. Prayers for everyone out there.

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Lisa

Lisa, sorry you have such a full plate right now! Welcome aboard adn You can vent, Ramble, Rage or whatever, whenever you want here. Lots of great info and compassion here. MAny in your shoes caring for a parent. is there anyone nearby that can help with errands, Housework or yardwork occasionally? Churchmembers or neighbors perhaps? Take care if yourself too! YOu have to stay well to help your Mom gat through this. Ask around and do not be ashamed. This is a tough Battle. Sending Prayers For you and Your Family.

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry you are faced with so much. Feel free to use the board to vent, talk yell or whatever. You should also see what community resources might be available. Church? Is there a social worker affiliated with your insurance carrier or hospital?

Getting some respite is needed!

Best wishes.

Mary

Welcome Lisa,

Vent away! We sooo understand! You will find this a very good place to be! I know about all this hitting you like a ton of bricks. Your mom sounds like she may be depressed, cancer is so overwhelming. If you can go to her appointments and speak to her dr. about it, they will be able to help her.

Please remember to take care of yourself in all of this. Your mom is very fortunate to have you taking care of her!

Grace

Lisa,

Welcome to LCSC...while I am so glad you found us, I am so sorry that you needed to. You and your family have my prayers.

Wow. You have so much on your plate right now...two kids, a teenager and a toddler...I can't imagine which is more work, really...plus everything with your mom.

I am glad to see they got the ball rolling with your mom and SCLC...this is a scary disease. You might need to have a heart to heart with mom, and determine the line with which you know it is more than just complaining...as that is so much to have on your shoulders. Cancer is an emotionally draining ride, and I encourage you and your mom to not be afraid of antidepressants (oddly, as I read what I write here, I am baffled, because honestly I rarely even take tylenol for a headache...but instead drink lots of water, and wait it out!!! - but I do know what antidepressants have done for our family, and for my dad as well.)

God bless you and good luck...keep us posted.

Jen

Welcome Lisa,

I'm so sorry for all that you are going through.

You have found a wonderful place filled with wonderful people to help you along the way even if it's just for an ear, or in this case eyes, to vent on. Whatever gets you through each day is all that matters. Try and take things one day at a time.

You are in good company here. These kind folks have gotton me through many a dificult day and night. They have much to share and this joint is open all night long!

Wishing the very best for you and your family,

-Rod

Lisa,

Welcome. I am so sorry for all you are going through. This is a great place to be. I only wish I had found it sooner. It is a great source of support and info.

I had to take care of my mom, but had the support of brothers. My one brother and I had the majority of the responsibilities. While it is draining, I didn't want it any other way. I hope you have the support of family and friends. No matter what happens, they will help you through the tough times.

Meg06

Lisa

Hello and welcome.

I cannot add much to what the others have said already but wanted to welcome you. I think Mary had some good suggestions about seeking out some help with all you have happening there. Perhaps the hospital or doctors office can offer some other options as well. It is very important for YOU to take care of yourself as well as your mom and your own family.

Sending you and your family prayers of strength,

Chris

THANK YOU-THANK YOU-THANK YOU

It literally brought me to tears to read all the kind words from people that I've never met. You guys are amazing!

Thank you for the suggestions. I belong to a great church and have some very good friends and neighbors that pitched in watching my little guy when we were having the inital testing and consultations. But my mom is very private and refuses to have anyone but me help her. Which is OK, I expected that and don't mind.

As for anti-depressants, it as been suggested to her but she is quite admant that she doesn't need them, so unless I hide them in her food (just kidding) it is a no go.

Silly question, but does anyone else refer to themselves as we? I always say "we" instead of "she". Like" we just finished chemo" or" we have an appt. tomorrow". Thanks again everyone!

Welcome Lisa and to answer your last question....

Most definately YES! LOL It has been, from day one, OUR disease, not just Mom's. We travel the road together, riding out the highs and lows along the way as one force against the disease...and we're lucky to have that.

There are days, sure, that I wish for the time when it wasn't a group effort to go from one day to the next...but I am so used to this "normal" now that I find myself wondering what will happen when the "normal" changes again.

Just wait until you find yourself saying "our bloodcounts were a little low today" or "we were in the hosptial for such-n-such"...and even MORE fun when you start talking in acronyms! :shock: The good thing is...we all understand!

Sorry you had to find this site...I wish no one ever had to again...but I'm glad you did! Come in anytime and drop a line...we'll be here!

xoxo

I'm late welcoming you, Lisa. You have been a busy busy girl since all this started. I'm sure you have figured out that there are many folks here to help you along this path. The only thing I would add right now is this..........perhaps if you explained to your Mom that MOST of us here have had the need of some medication (antidepressants)along the way......even short term use. I, like your Mom, felt quite adamant about not taking them. When I finally gave in, I was so sorry I had been so bullheaded for so long. And I am not taking them now. So it does not have to be a permanent thing, you know. Just enough to help over some dips in the road so to speak.

Glad Mom has you helping all you are....just be sure to take care of yourself too!

Kasey

Hi and welcome, Lisa!

Sorry you have to be here but really glad you found us. Your post said your mom had her f/u PET scan a few days ago and that you would have the results soon. Hoping and praying the outcome is a good one.

Please keep us posted.

Blessings,

Libby

Thank you all for your advice. I will speak to my mom again to see if she might be willing to try some type of antidepressant or anti-anxiety meds to get her spirits up a little.

i do have some updates but I guess I'll start a new post in the not so new section.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to say Welcome to our family. We are always here to support you and to listen to you vent.

We have all been in your shoes, maybe not as much as you had to endure with you mom. You are carrying a heavy load there. Just keep a positive attitude and let her know that she is not alone and LC is not a death sentence. So mamy here have beaten the odds and continue to do so for years.

You are a wonderful daughter, you mom is so lucky to have you in her life. As you are to have her.

Sending prayers your way.

Maryanne