Cry for Hope

asmakis

We met with the Pulmonary Dr. today who confirmed the spread of the cancer in my dad's lungs with a large new growth in the middle of his left lung. He showed us on the computer how his air passageway to his lungs is being constricted, hence the shortness of breath. The ironic thing is that my dad has been feeling reasonably well aside from some minor fatigue and shortness of breath. And then my dad asks the dreaded question "What's the bottom line?" The Dr. responds with "3-4 months, maybe 6." All of our hearts just sank. We didn't think it was going to be such a small number. We've decided to hold out hope that the Tarceva, which he'll be starting in a few weeks, will be the miracle drug. The Dr. did say there was hope, but it was kind of like he wasn't singing its praises. When we left the Dr.'s my dad just kept saying that he was sorry. I hate that he feels responsible, he did nothing wrong. I realize that this is one of my longer posts, and perhaps I am rambling, but I need reasurance or glimmers of hope that Tarceva (at such a late stage) will help prolong my dad's life.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda,

Do not give up hope. I have heard good things about Tarceva for some. Doctor's never really know how long someone has. When my Mom was diagnosed, the first doctor told her that she had about 3 - 4 months with treatment. We got a second opinion and that doctor said he didn't want to put a time frame on her life because you never know. It has been 2 years and 3 months since diagnosis. It has been a roller coaster but we've had so many good days with her. Just never give up. I wish the best for you and your dad.

-Mindy

Amanda,

Don is right -- there are still options. Keep your chin up honey, I know how hard it is at times like these. Give Tarceva a chance and I pray it works for your Dad. It can produce miraculous results.

My husband wasn't one of the lucky ones to respond to Tarceva and he has moved on to other traditional chemotherapy. Don't forget there are alternatives beyond Tarceva. My husband is almost a year ahead of your Dad from diagnosis and has never been NED. As long as there are other treatments and our loved ones keep up their spirits and fighting attitudes, there is always hope. The day may come when that new drug will come down the line that will really whack this cancer out of the park!

This isn't last call by any means! (I know what you mean about your Dad feeling better -- my husband seems to feel better the more his cancer is growing. :? I know, weird.)

Welthy

Amanda,

I was on Tarceva for 16 months and had very good results as well as other chemo treatments As far as how much time who knows so don't dwell on it. I asked and was told 24 months and I'm still here 56 months later in spite of lung cancer and other health issues. Your dad did nothing wrong and has nothing to apologize for. Your dad would benefit greatly from a support group being with people who have been there, done that. Also go for a second opinion if you have not. One needs to stay positive, focused and be pro-active, There is always hope as long as there is life. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

Rich

Amanda,

My pulmonary doctor told me without treatment to go to Hospice and with treatment 16 to 18 months. This is my 18th month. I ran a half marathon missed all the trucks did not get killed and I am still here cancer free.

There is always Hope. I have seen Tarceva do amazing things in a lot of cancer patients. My oncologist did not have the same opinion as my pulmonary doctor. He thought we could succeed.

If I can answer any questions for you let me know.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie