Introduction

twinmom

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this site, and haven't even had a chance to look around yet. I was dx w/adenocarcinoma two days ago. So far they've found it in my lymph nodes, bones, and liver as well and we're waiting for MRI results to see if it's in my brain. I just turned 39, and have almost 2 year old twins. I'm having a hard time digesting all this. Thankfully I'm surrounded by supportive friends and family.

I'm sure I'll be turning to you for advice and support.

Hi,Im so sorry about your news but glad you found this place. You will meet other stage 4 folks who you can relate and share with. I hope and pray for you.I know how you feel about your twins. My biggest concern when I was dxed was my 3 grandkids,which are 1 set of twins that I am helping raise.I know how overwhelmed you are feeling right now and how scarey it is for you.Dont be afraid to ask your doc for med to help you along. Prayers are with you. Mike

Welcome. I am glad you found this board. The beginning is very hard not only on you but the entire family. Find a doctor that will fight aggressively for you and ignore the statistics you will read. As soon as you have a treatment plan, let us know what it is.

Rochelle

Hi Twin Mom,

I'm a young Stage 4 with small kids too. The hardest part so far has been the beginning. Now I'm ignoring the statistics and believing that somehow I'm going to be o.k. Keep posting and we'll try to help however we can.

Raney

Hi Twinmom,

Welcome.....and you couldn't have found a better place for love and support from folks who can understand what you (and we) are all going through. I've only been here for a short time myself and feel the strength from everyone each time I log on. Keep the faith, smile a lot and stay positive....it will definately help.

Rod

Hi Twinmom and welcome!

I'm so glad you found us. You will find lots of support and information here--and hope. We will do our best to help you sort out all the information and the feelings you will be dealing with. Read the stories here and you will understand that there is much that can be done to treat effctively.

Susan

Welcome twinmom ... you have found a wonderful place here with absolutely, positively the MOST fantastic folks to support you on this roller coaster journey. A positive attitude and good laugh will get you farther than you can imagine. Expect a miracle!!!

Welcome to the boards, although I wish so much you had never had to go finding us.

You have come to a wonderful place, filled with amazing people who are so, so helpful.

Keep us informed, and I will most certainly say prayers for you.

Blessings,

Jen

Welcome Twinmom...I am so sorry you need to be here, but please let us help you with support, information and whatever else you may need. Lots of people here LIVING with lung cancer, so as the others said, find a Dr. that you are comfortable with and who will fight for you. Shelley

Welcome Twinmom

I am very glad you are surrounded by supportive people, and you have powerful twin reasons to keep you motivated and encouraged.

This place will keep you informed, you will find people who will offer comfort, understanding, advise and who will share their knowledge and their experiences with you.

I will keep you in my prayers. Please keep us informed!

Hi, TwinMom, and welcome to the LCSC -- the best group I ever joined that nobody ever wanted to join in the first place! Many of us think of it as an extension of our own families and have formed bonds that distance can never diminish.

Though you received your diagnosis only 3 days ago, I imagine you already know more about adenocarcinoma than you ever thought possible. For example, that it's the most common type of lung cancer, accounting for 30 to 35% of primary lung tumors; that it's treatable; that it's not as aggressive and fast growing as some other types; and (here's the down side) that it's frequently symptom-free until it's been around for a good long while. As you read through the symptom/diagnosis/treatment profiles below our messages, you'll notice that a great number of us with adeno were already Stage IIIB or IV at diagnosis. Finding adeno at Stage I or II often involves a stroke of luck (so to speak) and may surprise the physician as much as the patient.

You may be hearing some words like "inoperable," "incurable," or "palliative" which may or may not be upsetting depending on the semantic skills of the person saying them. Please keep a few things in mind as you go through your round of appointments: (1) There have been remarkable advances very recently in lung cancer treatments, and even better treatments are in the pipeline, so what was a death sentence 10 or so years ago no longer is. (2) The prognosis statistics you may hear or read about are historic in nature and represent a large sampling of people who received a particular diagnosis at some point in the past -- they have little relevance to you (or me) looking ahead from 2007. (3) It's becoming possible to think of cancer as a chronic disease which is serious but can be managed over the long term. (4) You may feel out of control right now, but there's one thing you DO control which will be key to your success -- your attitude, which includes your expectations.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Twinmom,

I'm glad you found this site as the support is awesome here but I'm so sorry you are in this position. I also am stage 4 now with three kids at home. I have continued to work throughout and found that having a good oncologist that is fighting for your life is what is important.

Lilly

Hello Twinmom and welcome

I am sorry you had the need to find a site such as this, but glad you have posted.

Please keep us updated on things so we can help you as you get into treatments etc. This is a great group of people who are very willing to answer any and all of your questions and offer advice. Just let us know what you need and you will find it here.

Best to you

Christine

Hello Twinmom,

I am so glad you have supportive friends and family. You will find that you need there help more now then anytime in your life. I have had to learn to ask for help as I have always be very independent, that was hard for me at first but it does get easier. My first piece of advice for you is to make sure you take someone with you to each of your doctor visits. You are still in shock and will forget some of the stuff he may say. Write stuff down and ask questions over and over if you have to. ATTITUDE is everything. Keep strong and learn to ask for help.

Sherry

Thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcomes. I have a treatment questions, but I'll poke around and see if there's a better place to post it.

I really appreciate the advice about ignoring the statistics. Hearing that information can be like a dagger stuck in my heart, but I need to have hope.

Andrea -- I live in Northern CA, in San Jose.