No more chemo for Harry

Nova

Harry had an appt. with his Oncologist this morning.

The doctor said he has to stop chemo.

If Harry tries to get thru 2 more sessions of it- (for the total 6), that it could "do him in", in other words... His body is too worn down, he's lost too much weight, his blood counts aren't coming up very quickly, etc.

He's going to have brain radiation around the 23rd of July, as a precaution.

They have a cat scan ordered for the 30th of July. If the cancer has grown, I don't know what they'll do. The doctor said if Harry can gain back a lot of the weight he's lost, and get his blood counts up to a nearer normal level, they "might" try a second round of chemo , but with something other then Cisplatin or Carboplatin.

Harry thinks they're giving up on him, but I told him they weren't..... I won't LET them!

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He's still getting dizzy and passing out when he stands up. He looks totally beat up, complete with a black eye, the poor guy. :(

Thanks everyone,

Nova

Get him that rest, fatten him up and then they'll start on the second line chemo after the WBR. This rollercoaster ride sure has ups and downs. You are due for an up, and I believe there's one just out of view.

Do your best to roll with it and keep you and your dear husbands' spirits up.

My very best thoughts and expectations to you and Harry.

My mom got all 6 rounds and to be honest they

didn't think the last 2 did much of anything for her. If you ever truly think they are giving up on him go somewhere else. I already told my Mom we will do whatever it takes to get her the gamme/cyber knife if the met is still in her brain after the WBR. Wishing you and your husband strength and comfort during this time.

Dar

Nova,

You may want to get a second opinion. My first choice would be M. D. Anderson in Houston. Since you are in Florida and the trip to Houston may not be practicable, you might want to try their affiliate in Orlando. I have a friend that has gone there for years and thinks they are good. I do think Houston would be best.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

It seems like I read somewhere too, that the 1st 4 chemo rounds are really the only ones deemed necessary. He will continue to gain his strength back. Make him drink chocolate milk shakes and all the ice cream he can handle. My sister weighed 105 lbs. before chemo..dropped to 100lbs. during chemo and now she weighs almost 123lbs. She is trying to lose that now. I told her to enjoy her chocolate milk shakes and ice cream. Weight looks good on her.

You keep your hope alive and I will pray hard for you both. Prayer does work. All you have to do is believe.

Love,

Bobby

Nova, I'm so sorry. Both of you have been in my prayers and will continue to be.

I know how hard it is when you feel like the doctors are giving up, but there not. They are just doing what is best for him at this time.

Stay stong, re-group and get ready to fight somemore!

Hang in there.

Patty

"BOBBY777" It seems like I read somewhere too, that the 1st 4 chemo rounds are really the only ones deemed necessary.

Dr. West has some information about that on his website. Here's one item and discussion (there are probably others):

http://onctalk.com/2007/01/17/duration- ... ng-cancer/

Much of that reference deals with NSCLC, but Dr. West points out that the guidelines (still informal) generally apply to SCLC too. With each successive cycle of chemo, the effectiveness against the cancer tends to decrease, but the toxic effect on normal tissues tends to build. At some point the chemo starts to do more harm than good, and that's generally 4 to 6 cycles for most patients. When that happens the body needs a break.

Wishing you guys the best and sending lots of Aloha your way,

Ned

Nova,

You and Harry are in my thoughts and prayers. Mom had a two week break from her chemo and felt alot better--even though she didn't gain any weight. Hopefully this break for Harry will let him bounce back!

Is he on anything for his appetite? The Megace has seemed to help Mom. And she got Aloxi for nausea and it has worked really well.

Hang in there

Nova, I am so sorry that you and Harry are going through all of this right now. The information that Ned mentioned from Dr. West is something I had heard from my oncologist as well. Fatten him up with anything he will eat and let his body rest. He will be ready for more chemo when the time comes.

Nina

Thank you everyone! The prayers and good thoughts keep my spirits up.

"I" didn't really think they were telling Harry that they were giving up on him, but I think he mis-understood them, and thought that other then the brain radiation, they weren't going to do anything else.

I told him about all the folks here that had been given a "break" too, just to regain some strength, so I think it made him feel a little better.

I like the cancer center we go to. I truly think they're doing everything they can for him.

Being a research hospital, they're "up" on all of the new treatments and studies, so that helps.

It's just a rough spot right now... Have to pull up our "big girl undies" :) and get on with it!

Thanks again, I appreciate you al!

Nova

Does WBR stand for "Whole Brain Radiation"? I couldn't find it in the glossary!

Also, Thanks for the article by the doctor. It DOES look like 4 rounds of chemo tend to make about the same amount of difference as the 6 do, so that was good to read. At least Harry made it thru the 4 . (I realize they were speaking about non-small cell, but I would imagine it's about the same).

Thanks!

He needs that to regroup himself. They are not giving up just giving him a much needed break to let his counts come up and hopefully you can fatten him up.

Keep us posted.

He will get throught this.

WBR- your right Whole Brain Radiaion.

Maryanne

Nova,

If he's having such an awful time with it, it does make sense to give his body a break. If you feel at all uneasy about the decision, I would certainly agree with Ernie to get a second opinion. With all he's gone through and is still going through, it's hard to imagine giving him more of the chemo that's causing him such difficulties.

Read through Deb's profile (dchurchi) and you'll see that her Alan couldn't tolerate chemo either and had a terrible time, but still achieved remission. That might give Harry some comfort to know about.

I know this must be terribly difficult on you both. Please know I'm thinking of you and keeping you both in my prayers.

Hugs,

Nova,

There will be good days again. Like the others have said, fatten him up, get him through the WBR, and see how he does. I'm sorry this is happening. I know how frightening it is to be on a break. Tony did one once and he wished they had moved faster into the next regimen. The body does get tired though. Milk shakes worked wonders for Tony to regain his lost weight. It is good you have confidence in the Doctors -- I'm sure they are continuing to help Harry fight too!

Take care of yourself,

Welthy