Rib Mets?

Tom K

About a week ago, I noticed a slight bulge along my left rib cage (opposite side of where my cancer was). There is no pain to the bulge. I saw my oncologist today and he could not rule out mets to the rib. But he said, in his experience, mets to the ribs are symptomatic with noticeable pain that interferes with breathing. He may have been trying to reassure me, but he said it is not uncommon for our rib cages to shift a little as we age and this bulge could be a result of that process. He ordered a PET and a CT for Friday. So by Monday I will know what it is or at least what it isn’t. Has anybody experienced a shifting of the rib cage? Is there anybody in the group who has had experience with mets to the ribs and was there always pain associated with it?

No bulging here, Tom, but pain issues for quite some time. NO mets though :lol: .........so keep positive until you hear otherwise. I will be very anxious awaiting resluts. Miss you when you aren't here, BTW! Just try to relax ~ more than likely something else, ya know?

Kasey

Oh Tom, I would just sit tight and wait for the answers. Someone may say something that could cause you unnecessary worry. The anxiety of waiting is sheer torture isn't it? I will be saying prayers that there is nothing serious attached to the bulge. Try to relax and go over to Kasey's Pub for the beverage of your choice.

Sue

I agree that while you can't rule it out for not being painful, rib metastases often do hurt, especially one that would cause a bulge. Good that you'll get scans to clarify, but I would expect a bulging rib met to hurt, especially if pressed on.

-Dr. West

Hi Tom,

I have a slight bulge between my lungs just above my abdomen. I asked the doctor about it and he said that it was nothing to be concerned about. It has been there since not too long after my surgery. It does not show up on my scans. Nor does it hurt. It just looks wierd. I think it is from the movement of organs in the space where my upper lobe was removed. I also had a rib bone removed, but they have some kind of surgical clips holding my ribs together. I think it is going to be okay.

Carol

I did not go for the scans that were scheduled for last Friday. Last Thursday evening, I was awakened at 1:30AM to every parent’s nightmare. My daughter Tracy had apparently had a heat stroke and been taken to the hospital. When she arrived at the hospital, her fever was 107. While the medical staff was attempting to cool her down, she had a seizure from which she did not recover. My wife and I buried our little girl today. Even with all that my wonderful wife has endured this week, she is still concerned about me. So, I will be going in for scans this Friday and I expect to have results by Monday. Thank you for your concern and I would appreciate your prayers.

http://www.legacy.com/TimesUnion/DeathN ... D=92505904

Oh my goodness Tom I am so sorry for you loss. There are no words to express it when one loses a child. You and your wife are certainly in my prayers it is times like this I wish some of us were closer physically that we are. Know you are being thought of and many prayers are being said. Judy

(((((((((Tom and Macrina))))))))))) It breaks my heart to read your post. I am so very, very sorry. Praying for you both. I also signed the guest book for your daughter.

Carol

Tom & Macrina,

I am so sorry for your loss. I am keeping you in my prayers right now, and asking the Lord to wrap you both in his arms and give you peace and comfort in this very difficult time.

Tom I have rib mets that were seen on a bone scan, they did hurt but with continued chemo the pain is gone. So are the mets I hope. I hope and pray that your scan comes out clean.

God Bless,

Sharon