Flights with Lung Cancer

nomadawn

Hi all,

Mum has just finished 6 rounds of chemo. and although very tired she is doing ok. Oncologist said she had major shrinkage and he was very pleased with her.

I am thinking of taking her and my dad on holiday in a few weeks (once she starts to get a bit stronger)but I am a little concerned about flying. Her oncologist said he saw no reason why she couldn't go as long as she felt up to it. I am only looking short flights but would love to hear what you guys think. Have any of you or your loved ones flown with lung cancer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & god bless

Debbie

I personally have not with DEb butI know someone that did. He did not have problems. He contacted teh airlines prior to flight and got a letter from Oncologist. Chemotherapy is a lot of PLATINUM BASED DRUGS. He said he was worried about airport security "Sniffers" and had letter just in case something went off. never told me if it was needed though. Good luck, safe flights and Take care. There should be no Problems as there are Organizations in US that fly patients for treatment for free.

Debbie,

My sister flew from Colorado to VanCouver BC while having lung cancer. Couple of things to consider:

1. (which has already been mentioned) Make arrangements for a wheelchair at the aiport in advance so it's ready upon arrival. That way if a connection is close, you're not in a panic.

2. We also made arrangements for a portible oxygen tank in their room on board the cruise ship. She only used it once or twice, but it was available just in case.

3. Most important...Have a wonderful trip.

Good luck, Ellie

My mom flew several times while undergoing treatment, sometimes alone, sometimes with someone. The flights were all non-stop and 4 hours or less. She requested "handicapped" seating, along with a wheelchair, but the airline did not always have the staff to wheel her to the gate. So she had a lot of anxiety getting through security checkpoint in time for flight because she had to wait for personnel to take her to the gate. This is not a problem if your mom has a traveling companion capable of pushing the wheelchair, of course.

Security will check the wheelchair over with a wand (she will not be sitting in the chair at the time), so it will take a bit longer to get to the gate.

Make sure she stays well hydrated when traveling.

Above all, have fun!!!

~Kaaren

My Dad has flown many times whilst undergoing treatment.Long journeys tire him so we tend to take him on shorter trips but after a good sleep he is ok. The sun gives him a boost he says after the terrible rainy summer we have had in UK ! He doesnt sit directly in the sun as he is on Tarceva and his skin is super-sensitive and burns easily since he has been on it.

If your Mum's Dr has OK'd and your Mum feels up to it then go for it and have a fab time.

Dawn x

Debbie, after my recurrence last September I went to Dallas twice & to spain one, & england. Planing to go to California & argentina (if everything is good).

The docs told me no problem. The only time that my onc did not let me go on a plane was in May because I had Radiation neumonitis & he was scarred of the altitude. But if she feels fine do it. Nothing better that a change of place.Best wishes and hava a great trip.

ugs bucky :D:D:lol:

Debbie,

I have flown a lot with cancer during treatment. When they let me I fly my own plane. I am going on a cruise next week. I will fly to get the ship. I am in the middle of my chemo. I will wear a face mask to cut down the chance of catching somthing. I would advise your mom yo do the same. I flew for the airlilnes for 32 years and I know the air is not that great in an aircraft at 35000 feet. If your mom feels up to it should be no problem.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I flew from NYC to Orlando to take my kids to Disney World in between my chemo treatments (I had 3 weeks in between each treatment). Not only did I fly, but I went on all the upside down roller coasters in the theme parks, and believe me, they seemed to go higher than the plane!

Hi

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you for your responses.

This was just what I was hoping for and feel happier and safer now I have heard your experiences.

Mum has a bad cold right now so as soon as she feels better I am wasting no time and booking that holiday.

God bless

Debbie

x

Have fun and wear support hose. All of us are at risk on a long flight of developing blood clots in our legs and lung cancer seems to put us at greater risk even if not flying.

Donna G

I just flew back from Maui. flight with a stop in Kona was a total of 9 hours and 56 minutes with two hour wait in chicago and two more hours on a plane to Hartford. I won't mention how long it took to get to Maui two weeks ago with all the delays. This was the first flight since lung cancer. I noticed that my back and shoulders hurt alot more and I needed alot more water. Last Chemo was June, I'm currently on Tarceva.

Lily