Prayers for test Today

ejpritz

Today my mother is having a Pet Scan.

We are very nervous because she has not seemed herself the past few weeks and her old terrible cough is back.

She is very secretive about tests and Dr. appointments, so I was wondering if Pet Scans are just normal tests that are done every so often or if they are usually done if there is suspicion that something is wrong.

I know she gets CAT scans frequently, but I cannot remeber her having Pet Scans except prior to both surgeries. She had an appointment with her Onc last week and the PET Scan was scheduled at that appointment.

At our cancer center, PET scans are done only if the CT or CXR shows something that needs further evaluation.

In our case, the exceptions to this were 1.) To determine stage suitability for lobectomy. 2.) To determine if there were other areas of metastatic spread prior to surgical removal of a brain met.

Very best of luck.

Mary Colleen

My info probably won't help you much, Erin. I get a PET at every checkup.....BUT I am treated at the National Institutes of Health (National Cancer Institute) and they operate much differently than public medicine. I beleive PETs are only given if there appears to be reason in most institutions, as Mary Colleen has indicated.

You know I'll be hoping for the best for you and mom. I hope she discloses what is going on. If she does, let us know, okay? Sorry to see you report in with news like this. Darn it!

Kasey

Hi There...

If you look at my profile..I have had quite a few Pet/scan's for various reason's...so I think there are different reason's for Pet's...prayer's for your Mom with good test results...Incidently all of my Pet test have came back negative...Praise God...so it doesn't mean that something has to be wrong...just precautionary sometime....

hugs...nonni

I have only had one PET scan ever, but from looking at other's profiles, it seems some have had more. Wonder if its just a doctors preference??? Even when they "suspected" something going on, my doc didn't order another PET.......????

I will send out prayers for you and your mom - please keep us updated.

Hugs - Patti B.

My husband had PET & CT scans every three months throughout his treatment. That was simply the way our oncologist operated. He also was on Medicare w/supplemental insurance and they will cover multiple PET scans when written up the right way.

Wishing your Mother the best of luck.

Welthy

As you see there is different reasons. With Joel, if they see something and it is small the keep using the CT. If it starts to grow, the will do a PET to see if there is any uptake from the sugar injection. Hopefully it will not light up.

Maryanne

My oncologist had me take a PET scan every 3 months for a year following treatment. After the first year she switched to every 6 months and wouldn't you know it something somewhere lit up. Has your mother signed papers authorizing you to get information from her doctors? I did that for my son when all this first started.