My uncle..

rogfam

My uncle chose to end his lc battle, which was drawing very near the end, himself today. I came here to vent a bit.

I loved him, did all he would let me do for him, as did my parents and his sister that lived near by.

He was retired air force, never married or had kids. He was a very different man, while very thoughtful in some ways, very hard in others. His opinion was the right one. Up until the end he still griped at my dad if he got Bounty paper towels instead of Brawny, or whatever.. Why be so hard and cold, especially to the ones who are trying their best to take care of you. Hospice had approached my uncle a cpl days ago with the question of "what are you going to do when you're not able to care for yourslef?" With the VA home being brought up, my uncle refused to speak of it. My daddy assured him he would take care of him at home as long as he could! This man had controled every aspect of his life, how on earth could he give it up now??? And he didn't. He chose to end his own life, shot himself in the chest, either last night or this mornng, not sure yet. But one thing I do know is this. HE KNEW MY DADDY WOULD FIND HIM!! Damnit, why not take all them pills sitting on the counter??? I know he was suffering, and I don't blame him one bit, but why did he have to shoot himself?? My poor dad will forever have that image in his mind now!!! He had a notebook, with things like, 'my funeral suit is in the closet, it's marked.' He told which casket he wanted. I wish he coulda left a note, saying anything, but how bout I'm SORRY, or thank you for all you've done, but..., Or I love you bro, but I have to do this!

I'm heartbroken, and yet I'm angry! I'm hurting, but just in shock that he ended this way!

Thanks for letting me vent.

I love and pray for you all even though I don't hang out here much these days.

Christy

Ohh Christy, this is such sad ,tragic news. I am so very sorry for the pain and heartache this has caused your family, but I can only imagine your uncle must have been suffering too, mentally and physically, to have done such an awful thing. May God be with you and your family during this painful and difficult time .

Hugs,

Sue

Christy:

I am so sorry for you and your family--not just for the loss of your uncle, but for the way he chose to go.

I have no compunctions or moral/ethical issues about lung cancer patients who choose to end their lives early, but what a dreadful shame for all of you that he chose anything other than pills, injections, patches, etc.

Unfortunately, he probably saw his choice of weapon as SOP ("standard operating policy") due to his military service. :cry:

Carole

I just can't thank you all enough. Your words are so comforting, at a time like this, not much is, and you've made me feel a little peace. It's still so unreal. We've been to his house, doing things that need to be done.. so weird.. Where's Robert?? He should be sitting in that chair!! :( My daddy is dealing best he can, I know he cries when he gets down time, who wouldn't.. We'll be ok, life goes on.. I'm not sure how it does, but I know it does..

He had a beautiful service on Monday with the Air Force Honor Guard. He had many medals and awards. I think TAPS is the saddest song on earth. He would've loved it.

My grandpa has lost two sons and a wife in the last three years..:(

I know I can come here and express myself anytime, and that helps so much.

Again, you're all a blessing to me.

Love and prayers for us all,

Christy

Christy sweetie this is just horrible news. Your Uncle had obviously felt he had no other choice but to end his life, but, like you said, he could have done it more "peacefully". Your father will unfortunately carry that image with him forever. I am praying for you all.

(((Christy)))

I don't know what to say - sorry seems like such a small word. I can only hope that your dad and you can find some peace.

I hate this disease and what it does to people and their families.

I will remember you and yours in my prayers. Please come here whenever you need to.

Wishing you strength and peace - Patti B.

So sorry to hear this ... although I can't say I blame people in situations for doing this, in a way it's selfish not to think of those you're leaving behind and even the legacy you leave with the family.

My best friend that I grew up with, her dad was dying from prostrate/colon cancer. He was NOT going to get well or beat the disease and his time left was limited. However, his family thought they had some time left with him. He couldn't walk unassisted, but one night he somehow got himself down to the basement and did the same thing. No note left, nothing.

My friend alternates between sadness and anger, and any and all happy memories of her life will constantly be clouded by the situation. When I bring up happy memories of our childhood with her dad (he was such a funny, fun-loving man who was like a second father to me) she can't enjoy them and I can see it in her eyes.

She misses him at time, but at other times, thinks "how DARE you do that to me, MY kids and generations to come".

It's a tough thing and I'm so sorry to hear your family has to go through it as well. Prayers for your father especially.