Bringing everyone up to date on mom... SEPT 15th UPDATE...

shineladysue

As many of you know from my previous posts, my mom hopes to have cyberknife on the recurrence of cancer in her right lung. This has been a long drawn out process to decide if she is a candidate and a process that has gone along not without some hitches and hurdles. We still hold out hope that she will get to have that procedure.

She had a PET scan that had showed something in her lower spine and in the lymph nodes around the trachea. That scan ,not being conclusive , has had to be followed up with more tests.

At present, she got some GOOD news on her spine. She had a follow up MRI which showed everything was fine with her spine.. no sign of cancer... that in itself is wonderful news...

Next hurdle and the one that we could use lots of prayers for is biopsies on those paratracheal(sp) lymph nodes. I'm not familiar with the procedure, except for what I have read here, but Mom will be put under and the doctor will do a 1" incision below the trachea and go in with her scope and do the biopsy.... PLEASE PLEASE PRAY THAT BIOPSIES ARE BENIGN... because if they are... she will then proceed with cyberknife prepartions. My mom is overall pretty strong for her nearly 81 years and is doing well.

I just want to thank everyone for your prayers up to this point and if you could spare a few more, we could use them.. My sister.. Bonnie joneslady56 and I pass on all the well wishes and prayers from this wonderful group and I want you to know that it means so much to us all.

Love,

Sue

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for all your prayers and well wishes. You have no idea how much they mean to my mom and our family. I just wanted to drop in here and add the date for her upcoming Mediastinoscopy. We have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am on Monday, Aug. 31st and the surgery to biopsy the lymph nodes will be done about 7:30 am. She said it's about 1 1/2 hrs . Please pray that everything they find is benign so she can then proceed with the final prep for cyberknife on the tumor in her lung. I will update as we get more information. Again, thank you for all your prayers.

Hugs,

Sue

UPDATE FOR AUGUST 28TH...

There has been another change of plans for my mom. She was due to go on Monday for the biopsy on her lymph nodes, but after reviewing her case it has been decided that they prefer to use another approach. Considering her age, breathing and current condition, the doctors have decided that testing without General anesthesia is a much safer option. They really don't want to have to put her on vent and they think she is high risk... sooo.. the new plan is... two procedures done under local anesthesia and twilight sleep .. the first will be done by a doctor who will go down to take pictures and the second will be done by her surgeon who will do a needle biopsy using those pictures as a guide. This is all second hand information and I don't know technical names or details , but this is the information I have been given. We don't yet know what day or days this will all be done, but it most certainly should be this week because she has already gone off her coumadin . As a family we are relieved that she won't be put under. My mom was fearful of it this time because she knows she has become shorter of breath and is in a more weakened condition. Anyhow, that's the news as I have it.. Will update as soon as we get times and dates.

To all of you who have been following her case , sending prayers and positive vibes etc... thank you so very much and please keep them coming .. Mom still has a lot to get through. We are still praying for the lymph nodes to be cancer free so they can proceed for cyberknife. Again, thank you..

Love,

Sue