Latest MDA Visit

jaminkw

This is the update no one wants to write. They took another 6 1/2 lbs of fluid out of my abdomen on Wednesday. Two abdominal effusions four weeks apart constitute progression. And progression after third line chemo is the dreaded one. The official word is that there is no treatment recommendation when you reach fourth line. I remember her saying the recommendation is pallative care and/or....I went deaf after that. Of course, I knew all of this but did not allow it into my consciousness til I had to.

Although I tried to stop her, my onc who I love dearly, felt it necessary to say I should get my affairs in order within the next 3 to 6 mos and then live every day after that like a gift. She said she just feels so badly if she doesn't prepare people. Of course, I elected to go on to a fourth line. It will be Gemzar with the hope it will stop the continued fluid build-up. The current expectation is that it will continue to build and they have, in fact, made an appointment for another perio when I go back for my scan in April based on that expectation. Of course, contrary as I am, I told her "yes and maybe I'll call and say I don't need it."

Sorry folks. You've had good news here the past few days and I hate to burst that bubble but it is what it is. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Judy In KW

Oh Judy........I, too, would opt for another line of treatment. It's what we do, ya know.......do whatever we feel we need to do that is best for us. I'd keep trying too. I am just sorry you had to hear the words none of us want to hear. No matter how prepared we think we may be, we cannot never be ready to hear it said outloud. I know you will continue as you have in the past - putting one foot in front of the other with the best attitude that you can. Hard to do. I'm hurting with you hearing this news. I'll be rooting from the sidelines that this Gemzar can do some serious damage to this beast. If anyone can, you are surely the one capable of kicking some serious butt and moving forward.

Kasey

Judy I am so sorry that you had to hear that result. But as in poker, as long as you have an out you are still in the game and we will all be praying that Gemzar is your out.

Your positive attitude is going to help you battle this beast.

Thinking of you and Stan during these difficult days. With your fighting spirit, I know that you will soon be picking up the gloves and getting back in the ring for the next round.

Take care sweetie.

(((Judy))),

You've been in my thoughts so much lately and tonight something told me I needed to check in here before going to bed. I'm just so sorry to read this latest news... :( I knew you were having a rough time lately , but had hoped it was just the chemo. Hope the Gemzar will do it's magic.. I will be saying a lot of extra prayers for you girlfriend.. Love you..

Hugs,

Sue

Thank you friends. I whined so much Dr T said I could take 3 wks off. I'm shortening that and hopefully starting Gemzar early next week. I hope I'm ready for the fight--infusion every week for three weeks then off one. When I heard others doing this, I was always grateful I had always been on a one every three week schedule. I do want to get going now before this fluid gets me in a bad place again. That's my incentive, the hope that it will halt the fluid build-up. So far, with the exception of Tarceva, I've gotten a year or close to from each chemo. I'll keep you all posted.

Judy in KW

(((((((((((((KW Judy))))))))))))))

If there is any one person that I would bet on to beat this monster, it would be YOU!!! You're the one person that always hangs tough and helps all of us do the same!!! Go for the Gemzar and fight like hell!!! I love you and will be keeping you in my prayers. You have always been there for us and we will be here for you!!!

Hi Judy,

Its been a full day now since I read your post,hoping by now I could respond with something insightful and worthwhile reading,I guess my brain is still numbed.

Dawn,Annette and Stephanie,no enough,we have already lost too many friends here,to even contemplate any more premature departures.I dont want to read any more eulogies,obituaries,tributes, what have you,you have to stay girl,I need you -we need you here.

Since arriving here,I have learned so much about American culture,thanks to everyone ,one expression comes to mind,which I thought appropriate "Get your big girl panties on".We are here to support you in this fight all the way,so keep up that smile,you are going nowhere,well other than the Hope Summit, please.

Everyone else has been so eloquent, I'm not sure there is anything I can add or anything I could say better than what Katie said:

Simple as this...

we love you.

We are here for you...

and I am praying for and cheering you on with everything I have.

Diane

Judy,

First of all you KNOW I hate this news.

You also know that we are ALL here, praying for you, sending good thoughts your way and hoping beyond hope that the Gezmar works. We are a pretty big, strong, and optimistic bunch of cheerleaders and we are here for you always.

You are Judy in KW. You are a powerhouse (in a little body!) and a beacon of warmth and "air" in all of our days.

We need you, selfishly, we all need you.

So, the Gezmar will work, and by the time it doesn't, something wonderful and new will come down the pike.

Like Eric said. We have lost too many. Enough is enough. We are not losing you.

So, I HOPE to see you at the HOPE Summit. We made a deal girl. Don't make me come all the way to Key West to meet you - I don't fly, and that is a looooong drive.

I love you Judy in KW and I have never even met you. That shows what an amazing person you are.

Prayers, Hugs, and Peace -

Janet

So sorry to read this update, Judy. But you're case has been far from the norm for lung cancer cases all along, and I'm sending positive thoughts that you will fool them all once again, and do well with your upcoming treatment.

The doctor's advice to get your affairs in order is wise, no doubt. Even with my stage 2 diagnosis, I did that in short order. But nothing says you can't end up hanging around for a long time after your affairs are in order, and I'm going to be a big cheerleader for that happening.

Hi Judy from here in Pa., There's not much to say that hasn't been said by all your fan's already. I am also a big fan of yours and wish you nothing but the best. I know you'll give it your best effort. I hope your Drs. do too. You deserve their best effort. I have faith that you'll do great and be around for a long time. My thoughts are always with everyone who is in this fight. God bless all of us.

Judy you and everyone here know me well enough to know that I am never at a loss for words. I am now. The others have all said it so well I will just add my hugs and prayers to theirs. Fight with all you have and we will pray with all we are. Love you and want you here for a very long time.

There's nothing Tee and I could say that could even come close to matching all the love, compassion, and HOPE present in the numerous replies to your post. Just in the short time we've known you, there's no doubt in my mind that you're up to the challenge.

Don't forget our lunch date next January.

Our prayers are with you and Stan and we ask that God will give both of you the strength and courage for the battle!

Love,

Tom and Tee

Judy, I have been sitting her with my hands on the keyboard, not knowing what to say to you. This is so unfair and I feel that you being the incredible fighter that you are that you can beat this. This is so unfair and there is no way I can put in my mind that you should put things in order.

I can't even express my feelings so all I am going all I can say right now is that I will continue to pray for you and that somehow, someway that this is all wrong and that you will survive this. This just can't be true. Praying this Gemzar works...

Continued prayers to a remarkable beautiful woman.

My heart to yours always,

Maryanne

As all the others are, I'm so sorry to read your update. As long as I've been reading your posts I've always thought you have been grace personified in your handling of all the uncertainties and changes in plans and progressions. And even with this update, still showing tremendous fortitude and grace. I'm going to count on Gemzar to help you kick this thing back yet again.