Humor

I want to make a general comment on humor, especially our humor, and direct these comments to those who may new to Lung Cancer Survivors for Change and moreso new to Lung Cancer.

You will find that most of us who frequent "Just for Laughs" have been around for awhile and are, on the most part, long term survivors.

As one journeys through lung cancer, many things will probably happen, and things will be said to you, or about you, which, later on may suddenly appear to be humorous. Not one of us will ever diminish the seriousness of lung cancer and especially the mortality rate. We may make fun of each other here, but please understand, we have known each other for a long time now. In lung cancer terms, one year, as I am sure you are well aware of, is a long term survivor.

When this group ever and finaly gets together face to face, which it will, most likely within the next year, those of us who have been "rattling" someone else's cage, will be in one big group hug, and will be driving up the value of stock in Kleenex.

So, please, those are new here, don't let our humor offend you, as humor is one of the big ways we have of dealing with this very devastating disease we all share.

I'll cosign this with DaveG, as he and I poke fun at each other quite often, believe me it is all in fun, and to keep his ribs tickled and also mine

I have the upmost respect for Dave and all the rest of battling lung cancer and the caregivers. we are warriors in the true sense of the word.

Just don't let DaveG see this he will never get his head back out the door!

Praying for us all(even Dave G and Ry!)

Guest It's Fay A.

I am a mess. I have always been a mess. Laughter has been my number one coping method my entire life. Being able to find the humor under very serious conditions has been HOW I have been able to cope. I hope that my last act will be to help another to laugh with me.

There is no "rule" that says you have to laugh along with me. I hope that you will allow me and my antics to ease the stress levels and lighten your heart, but I don't expect everyone to do so. Neither do I expect to be made to take a more somber posture.

Dave G. and David A. (and Bobmc, and Beckyg, Snowflake-Becky, and Teresag. and Okie Debi, and Ry and too many others to list here) appear ALSO to be messes. It's why we tease one another.

I know Lung Cancer is serious. I know having Lung Cancer is serious. And I know that if I take it all seriously every second of every day I shall go out of my mind. So the antics of some of our members are as important to my mental health as a good antidepressant is to someone else.

And yes...I'd hug Dave G. if I ever saw him in person.

Fay A.

I for one would hug Dave G AND his dog, and I don't even really like dogs. (I am firmly in the cat camp. Give me a rough scratchy tongue licking my hand over a wet smelly one any day.) I have refrained from adding to the insanity between the Davids, but I haven't missed out on laughing at it. Keep it up.

Becky

Guest It's Fay A.

Okay, Beckyg.... You're a better person than I, because I'm only going to hug Dave G. if his pet is at least 10 feet away.

Sorry, Dave G., but I just can't make myself like chihuahuas...

Very well said Dave G. OH GEEEEE YOUR GOOD!!! :roll::roll:

I would like to add that we are ALL on this board for one thing and that is coping with lung cancer, be it patient/caregiver. We are all in the same boat, but some of us are in different waves. It's not a cake walk by no means, and sometimes we need a chuckle now and then, and I know I have been guilty of trying to make someone chuckle, when in fact they really didn't want to. :( I UNDERSTAND!!! Just because I might be in a silly or good mood, doesn't always mean other will be. We have to remember, that we are only reading words here, and not seeing the body language that goes along with a post or message. We all have our sensitive days, and we just have to keep that in the back of our minds.

I know there isn't anyone on this board that would intentionally want to hurt someone for any reason, and that INCLUDES me! But, if you want to laugh or joke around then I say this is the FORUM do it in. Bring on the LAUGHS!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, to put in my five cents, I would NOT hug Dave G because I fear he is made from the same cloth as my husband - and hubby's hugs contain "extras"! So, if the dog were elsewhere (in case he's a leg hound) and someone were to duct-tape the dawg's hands, I MIGHT hug Dave G...

(David A is probably clipped from the same cloth, as well, just the other end of the bolt!)

I've noticed in life that when I'm just stuck and don't know whether to laugh or cry, laughing feels SOOO much better (and doesn't stain silk unless I'm eating).

Virtual cookies and milk for all (still on that stinkin' diet - bread and water for me, minus the bread...)

xxoo

Becky

Dear amateur comedians (you know who you are),

It has been extremely difficult for me to find a reason to laugh these past few weeks. However, one reason I believe there is hope for me is when I read some of the posts here. Yes indeed, I laugh and I am not talking about just a little chuckle. Thanks to you for your humor and I agree with prichie and beckyg, please keep those jokes coming. It is one of the higlights of my day is to read the posts so, I urge you comedians to continue. Humor is therapeutic for all of us having and dealing with cancer and just dealing with every day life in general.

God bless us all,

Sam'swifeShirley

Dave G

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes my family thinks I am finally losing it when they hear laughter coming from my office and me in here laughing at the screen! I think they are asking each other when's the last time Mom had a brain MRI? But then I usually call them in to share the jokes. I love the bantering about the poor little dog, and I am sorry I think he is adorable and Dave I will stick up for him any day of the week even though my cat Jack could make mincemeat of him in a New York minute.

Bess B

I for one have not met a member of this board I WOULDN'T hug, and that goes for the little dog (aka Tijuana sewer rat), The little dog with the tin pot on her head, the big dog that looks like I'd make one bite, AND all the people too. Duct tape not withstanding.

Laughter is a marvelous distraction as well as a soul-bonding experience, and I love you all the more for the ribald goofiness.

Note I said HUG not BUBBLEBATH. The group hot tub/bubble bath is for the ladies (Norme included, a hot tub is deep and there's help getting in and out...), but the dog polls/hugs are for all.

May I suggest a BBQ simultaneously so we may all enjoy our together goofiness?

Love you all.

I mean that.

Even the little dog.

No offense, Dave. :lol:

MaryAnn

Oh boy, do I agree with you all, especially Fay.

Laughter is so very important, I believe it heals the soul and the heart. It sends good endorphins out to the far ends of the old bod.

A day without laughter is like a day without ice cream (Ben & Jerrys Brownie Batter, yum yum)

And thank you Dave G., that 'darling' pet of yours has created hours of laughter here.

Ginny

Hye Fay, I, and many others, wish you would turn around, 180 degrees, and post your picture. We are waiting anxiously to see the real Fay. In the meantime, as you say, I'm a mess, until I laugh, and I have laughed already today, so I am no longer a mess. Keep smiling, because I can tell, even though we can't see your face, you are smiling. :D:D:D:D

Add me to the mess list cause I got that nickname in the delivery room I think.I feel so sorry for those who cannot find a way to laugh during this ordeal.Laughter is the best medicine at times.When I get depressed I can come here or find another funny page somewhere and drag myself back up again.When I first signed on to this board and read the posts about the wakes I almost died from laughing I think.I knew right away that I was in the right place.Keep those jokes coming.And the next time you are down in the dumps.Pick me up a tire.TBone.

I am definitely a mess this week. My dissertation defense is Friday. After Friday (assuming all goes well), you may call me Dr. Teresa , the mess.

If you are inclined to send positive vibes toward Portland this Friday around 2 p.m. Pacific time, I can assure you they won't go to waste. :D

Oh, T-Bone....I just KNEW you are a mess, too. Why else would you need all those sisters looking out for you, as well as your wife. We messes are what is known as high maintenance people. :wink:

Teresag,

Wow....you're going to be a bona fide DTG (Dr. Teresa G). You know we former military folks.....just LOVE those abbreviations. I'll be sending good wishes your way this coming Friday. You're intelligent, articulate, educated, compassionate, funny and you're going to do well.

And Dave G., I'm not sure when I'll turn around. I'm still waiting for Bobmc to post his "bald headed happy face and arranging the cards at the fireplace mantle" photo. His head is WAYYYYYYY nicer than mine. For that matter so is his fireplace mantle.