Feeling kinda down today...

Jerrye

Hi everyone,

On Monday, I am going to a new onc for a 2nd opinion(my thanks to Cheryl for the recommendation). At first I felt a lttle silly changing drs after 4 months of treatment until I started reading copies of the reports that I am sending to the new onc. All of her reports start out as "unfortunate 44 yo female..." Sorry, but that really hit me the wrong way! Unfortunate is breaking a fingernail, not lung cancer.

I also found out from the path report that no testing was ordered to determine if this is a primary or secondary tumor. (does this mean that it could be a met from some other kind of cancer?)

I got more information from the path and CT scan reports than I ever received from the onc. My onc never seemd to answer any of my questions directly. I guess in her mind, I am "NSCLC Stage IV" not a person named Jerrye. Come to think of it, I do not recall her ever calling me by name. Also, a cash cow, since she wants me to continue to receive the chemo that is not working since it is the textbook chemo for LSCLC.

I had a good cry about this and have almost recovered from an afternoon of the "blues".

It is tough enough fighting this disease with emotional support. The last thing I need is an onc that treats "by the textbook".

Thanks for hearing me out. I was having a down day and needed someone to listen. My husband is very supportive, but after he read the "unfortunate female" he lost it and was madder that I have ever seen him.

Thanks for listening.

Jerrye

Jerrye,

The first oncologist we saw was also a putz. He had a very hard time looking John in the eye or talking to John. He would direct all his questions to me as if John wasn't there. On top of that the man looked just like Captain Kangaroo, hair cut and all, and I had a hard time taking him seriously. Anyway, we switched to another doctor and liked him somewhat better but when he was gone one day we were referred to a different oncologist that we just loved. We have stuck with him ever since. So keep trying, you'll find someone that fits. :P

Rochelle

Don and Ry, thanks for the reply.

My old onc is history even if the new onc is an ogre (which I doubt since I got the recommendation from Cheryl and she seems to like him alot)

Also, the new onc is at Baylor where they are doing the GVAX trials.

Jerrye

Ahh Jerrye,

I am sorry you are down. It could be the chemo and radiation getting to you. I wish that I could be there with you on the day you see Dr. Denham. And if you don't like him, it will not hurt my feelings if you fire him. I think you will be satisfied with him though. Don't forget the basement cafateria. I actually looked forward to chemo because of the great food!!!! :lol: I never was much of a breakfast eater, but their hash browns are awsome! A was so limited to what could eat then, but some how I found my appetite for them! Plus I love to shop at Ross for bargins on the way back to Greenville. Make a day of it. I will be thinkng of you on the 17th right? Please Pm me or call. Keeping you in my prayers,

Cheryl

Jerrye,

You absolutely are doing the right thing...you must have a partner in fighting this disease. When I read Dr. Groopman's "The Anatomy of Hope," I realized that even good oncologists struggle with the way to approach patients with such serious disease. However, his growth through the process and his conclusions as to the importance of hope definitely validated my decisions about finding a different doctor. It's your life and the most important part of this process...no matter how your future treatments progress, you'll feel more in control and more confident of what is happening.

Blessings,

Margaret

Jerrye,

Maybe you should send a note to your UNFORTUNATE ex-doctor and explain how FORTUNATE you were to be able to switch horses in the race...because, FORTUNATELY, you are a human being and your brain is STILL functioning, because FORTUNATELY, LC doesn't eat away at your smarts like Alzheimer's... The only UNFORTUNATE thing for you is four months spent in a vacuum of negative pressure...

I'm glad your FORTUNES are turning and you are moving on to someone who just might write "Pleasant female patient seen, excellent humor. Discussion of treatment plan as follows:...."

Oh, my doctor doesn't ALWAYS write that, sometimes she says "VERY pleasant..." lol

Keep going, girl. Take the pissin'/moanin'/kickin' the dawg (figuratively) time you need, hitch up your bra straps, square your shoulders and set your mind to whip this beast! You have my faith!

Becky

PS - Work on "happy", the weekend is almost upon us! (Hope it stops raining SOON!)

Hi Jerry,

I can identify with how words can really STING. I read a report about me one time that said, "Well-nourished 53 year old female . . . ." Grrrrr!! I guess it was better than "overweight" or "fat", but why did he have to put it on there at all? I felt like writing him back and saying, "Double ugly doctor - you're fired!"

Peggy

Jerrye,

Kudos for switching oncologists! And ignore the beside manner of the second one. Drs can be v ery cranky :) Our onc was sooooo ogor like on my mom's first visit and so negative on her, he really scared us, but we heard he was the best, and we stuck with him and now it is like night and day, love him and he himself said we are doing better than he could have expected.

Drs have that g-d like complex :) Also I think they have to use standard forms when they dictate reports and kind of fill in blanks. Don't pay too much attention to that. I once read a report from a neuro which said I was "a pleasant mild mannered 24 year old student". I was like how did he get pleasant from one short visit :)

Jerrye,

Here's a boost for a better day! Don't let this doctor get you down. He works for YOU! If he doesn't then tell him you are sooooo FIRED! They seem to forget who the boss is here. Stand your ground and let him know you are your own advocate and this is your body and you don't appreciate his endearment remarks. You have feelings too. Glad to hear Cheryl referred

you to another doctor...

Blessings and gentle hugs,

Karen

Jerrye

I don't blame you for being offended by that adjective. I hope the new doc is better.

You all know me: I do have one quesion.

Why do Doctors use adjectives in the first place--why not objective facts like gender , age etc.???

I can't imagine NOT being offended by the use of any adjective by someone who has only spent a short time with me. Which makes me want to check my adjectives--cranky, over bearing, patient who asks way to many questions--lol

Elaine

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Wow Jerrye, changing oncs after 4 months takes courage. Bravo for you. Hip Hip Hooray for a CHAMP! :D:D

Cat

Jerrye,

The best for you next week, you did well in changing

oncologist, they learn to cure, not to talk, it should be

both, but too many are short of words or have a very poor

vocabulary.

I have a big badge that I wear the first time I see a new

doctor **To You It's a JOB....

**To Me It's MY LIFE**

and since I do that, I get what I want, good treatment and

doctors that are able to speak to me.

J.C.

Just returned from the appt with the new onc. HUGE difference. I think he is a keeper. Actually discussed treatment options with me! What a novel concept! The man actually chuckled at one of my stupid jokes. Could this be a new medical life form? A human being? And the medical staff... they were actually friendly and smiling! I feel as if I have just emerged from cancer treatment purgatory.

Needless to say, I will not be going back to the old onc. Will call in the morning and cancel all appts. Peggy the old onc is double ugly, she looks alot like the princess ogre in SHREK.

Shelly, if you want to kick some a**, be my guest, I'll be happy to give you directions to my old onc's office.

Elaine, perhaps the new onc will describe me as "exceptionally beautiful 45 yo female who looks awesome bald"

Looks like I will complete my last 3 radiation treatments and wait 3-4 weeks to rescan, then start taxotere. Wow! I have 3 weeks to recover and get some energy back!

Thanks Cheryl for the recommendation, I look forward to trying the hashbrowns!

Thanks to everyone for the support. I am FORTUNATE to receive such good advice from such a caring group of people!

Jerrye