the good, the bad and the ugly

Sam'swifeShirley

Hello everyone,

I can not find the words that adequately describe the American Cancer Relay for Life event. It is inspiring, happy, sad and just an awesome experience. It was well worth the effort to put together a team even with such short notice and I look forward to being there again next year. However, we will start planning much earlier. I am pleased to announce that, in less that two weeks, the BLOWHARDS collected $2101.00 and I am still expecting another check. One of the highlights for me was when my daughter-in-laws' stepdad, Tony, announced on stage that Wal-Mart donated $1000.00 in memory of Sam. How honored and humbled I know Sam would be! Again, I could not have done this without my wonderful friends. If there is a Relay for Life near, I urge everyone to attend and see what it is like. I took pictures and when I get them developed perhaps Rick will post some. This is the good.

This past Sunday evening while I was simply moving a box at my son's new home-to-be, I twisted my left knee. There was pain and swelling immediately and I was unable to bear weight on my left foot. I hobbled home and did the usual, ice and elevate and the pain was not too bad as long as I didn't move my leg. Thankfully, I had crutches at home. On Monday I called our friend and PCP, Dr. Abell and went to see him. He aspirated blood-tinged fluid, which he said meant a tear. He was hoping small and said the pain would improve after the aspiration, which by the way rated right up there with childbirth! The plan was no weight bearing for a week (like I needed to be told that) and hope the inflammation would improve. I have the upmost respect for Dr. Abell and his knowledge but, by the evening the swelling and pain were much worse. On Tuesday, I went to see an orthopaedist. He did an MRI and I have a torn medial meniscus, which is a portion of cartilage between leg bones. The cartilage is just hanging in limbo, thus the pain and swelling. That is the bad. The computer is upstairs in our bonus room and I have been afraid to climb the stairs on crutches. I do not know what is going on with you folks and unfortunately can not sit with my leg unsupported for long. I can not tell you how many times we discussed moving the computer downstairs but, Sam liked his hideaway. Many nights when he couldn't sleep, he would get up and go upstairs and go on line. Moving a box seems like such a boring way to receive this injury. I was thinking of a more interesting cause such as I twisted my knee getting out of Mel Gibson's limo! Please offer suggestions.

Tomorrow morning as an out-patient, I will have the tear repaired. Hopefully, I will be walking around inside the next day and progress afterward. It is doubtful that I will be able to climb the stairs for awhile so, I will continue to be out of touch. Also, I have and will continue to miss my walking. Sam and I used to jog but, switched to walking after some ankle and knee problems. Walking is my Valium. That is the ugly.

Please know that each of you are and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe and healthy.

May God Bless Us All.

Sam'swifeShirley

Shirley,

First, congratulations on the Relay. What a wonderful experience for you.

Second, as a 5 time knee surgery patient, I know that once the surgery is done, you will probably walk out of the OR. It is that fast. Just take it easy on the leg...it does take some time and the swelling and bandages are hugh, but it goes away quiet fast. You will do well, just take the time to let it heal. Maybe now would be a good time to get one of the kids to move the computer for you. Stairs can be a challenge.

I hope you are up and around soon. Take care of yourself. I am glad this happened after the Relay and not before.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Shirley

Shirley,

Congrats on the relay. That was really nice of Wal-Mart to honor Sam. Sorry to hear about your knee. Carolyn had a good idea about scooting up the stairs on the good old bottom. Oh well, just a thought. We'll miss your posts. Get well soon and thinking of you. Look forward to your pictures....

Blessings and hugs,

Karen

Shirley,

Congrats on all your efforts. You are right, Sam would be proud. Hope all goes well with your surgery. Opt for the spinal anesthetic, it works well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Faylene

Gee, Shirley, it was the good, bad and ugly. You did a great job with Relay. You must have worked hard. The bad leg is a real bummer...but I hope the surgery goes well. My computer was in an office basement for years. I had my kids move it up to one of the old bedrooms that is now my office. I didn't like going up and down the stairs and had no excuse what so ever :lol: I wish you well and would hope you feel like posting again soon. Will be looking forward to the good, the sweet and the pretty. :lol:

Nina

Gee, Shirley, it was the good, bad and ugly. You did a great job with Relay. You must have worked hard. The bad leg is a real bummer...but I hope the surgery goes well. My computer was in an office basement for years. I had my kids move it up to one of the old bedrooms that is now my office. I didn't like going up and down the stairs and had no excuse what so ever :lol: I wish you well and would hope you feel like posting again soon. Will be looking forward to the good, the sweet and the pretty. :lol:

Nina