lung cancer

Guest marie foley

Marie,

Welcome to the most supportive, caring place for those whose life has been affected by lung cancer.

Only God knows your chances. If you read the profiles of our members, you will find many long term survivors. Tell us more about the type and stage of your disease.

I think you will find lots of information and support here. Welcome again.

Ginny

Welcome Marie. Give us a little more information about yourself. Not that anyone here would know your chances but I am sure there are others here at your same stage etc. that will tell you their experiences. Don't be a mystery woman, tell us where you're from and all about you...

Rochelle

Wecome, I woundn't dwell on what chances are or are not. You are not a Statistic. There are many here who were written off but have beat the so called odds. Check out all the forums here and see that there is always hope and there is always good support here. I'm sorry you have come here but you'll find it is a great place for us to vent, ask questions and get meaningful support.

Marie--

My father was diagnosed with lung cancer when he was 76. He was operated on and deemed "cured" but had a recurrence a year ago. Since then he had 3 rounds of chemo and radiation. He found the chemo rough but for him, the radiation was a "piece of cake". With the exception of the chemo time (about 3 months), his quality of life has been very good. Since being diagnosed with cancer, he has been to Europe, Mexico and has visited me several times. I live 3000 miles away. He goes to lunch with friends, volunteers at his local temple, works on the computer (his hobby) and sees my sister a lot. Feel free to pm me if you'd like.

This is a wonderful and supportive group you've found.

Gail P-M

:D Hi Marie and welcome. As others have said...No One Can give Your the answer to "What are my Chances". You and the rest of us are NOT statistics (lord I love that statement). Anyway, the one who has the biggest part in your success is "YOU". Keep positive and don't give up. Upon my diagnosis, I was told I had a year, well I'm just about there and I'm still working full time and fishing every chance I get. Every night when I go to bed I know I'm going to see another sun rise. We're here for ya!!!!

jim

Hi Marie,

Just wanted to say hello & let you know this is a wonderful group of helpful and supportive people. You can learn many things here that you might not otherwise find out.

I think you will have to post a little more information for others to answer some of your questions.

Right now, I am trying to learn all I can as I'm dealing with a 79 year old, stage IV person. I find that just having a place to turn is a great benefit to me.

I certainly wish you luck, come back again.

Vennie

Marie,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I know it's scary and can feel overwhelming. You're doing the right thing by connecting with this group. You'll be able to ask questions and learn about options.

As the others have said, your situation is unique to you. No matter what stage the cancer is in, someone at that stage has survived well beyond expectations. You could be one of the ones that beat the statistics!

My Dad is 77 with Stage IV. He has almost died twice -- and the doctors gave up on him. But he's still with us and doing pretty well!

My prayers are with you. Be good to yourself.

Pam

Thank you so much for the support you have given my mother. She is the sweetest person is the world. And it sounds like she found the perfect forum.

It's funny, she always wanted to belong to a forum and as things turned out this one found her.

Her cancer is stage 3a. She had aggressive lung surgery 5/7 to remove the top third of her left lung which contained a 5 by 8 cm mass. 6 out of 6 lymphnodes in that area were malignant. And I believe 14 out of 20 in a different area were malignant.

Her first oncologist was not very optimistic but her second opinion oncologist was wonderful. She is going to pursue the treatment suggested.

Marie is a "fighter" one of her favorite songs is "I ain't down yet" from the

"Unsinkable Molly Brown".

She has non small cell adenocarcinoma and is a survivor of breast cancer (adenocarcinoma). She is also a non-smoker.

She is also having a little trouble navigating the forum. But she is very smart and I am sure you will see her back here shortly.

Thanks again for giving her something we can't. Knowledge = Power.

Best wishes,

Elaine

PS....I am one of her 6 children who adore her along with her husband of 55 years and 14 grandchildren.

Mom, just keep swimmin!......Finding Nemo

Welcome to you too Elaine. My 5 year old goes around chanting the "just keep swimming" line from Nemo all the time. Hopefully your mom will become accustomed to navigating the board soon.

Rochelle

Welcome, Marie and Elaine.

Your chances are very good, Marie! With all of US on your side, the scale is bound to tip in your favor!

Keep a positive mental attitude and surround yourself with love. Whether you live another year or a hundred years, it will NEVER be enough. There's always another reason to get up in the morning....don't let someone limit you with your "sentence". Dance....

I Hope You Dance

Lee Ann Womack

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder

You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger

May you never take one single breath for granted

And God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean

Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens

Promise me that you'll give faith the fighting chance

And if you get the chance to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance, I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance

And never settle for the path of least resistance

Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking

Loving might be a mistake but it's worth making

Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter

When you come close to selling out reconsider

Give the heavens above more than just a pasing glance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean

Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens

promise me that you'll give fate the fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

Dance, I hope you dance

I hope you dance, I hope you dance.

I want to let you know that each of your replies has been so thoughtful and helpful. Thank you Ginny, Rochelle, BRM, Gail, Jim, Vennie, Pam, Paddy and Snowflake.

Rochelle, do you go by the name Ry? That is what we call my daughter. I also love your quote from the Titanic. And Snowflake, who could not love your dragonslayer.

Each of your stories and pictures is so heartwarming. Thank you for sharing them.

Elaine

Mom, Courage is fear that has said its prayers.....I love you....Muah!

Hi Marie and Elaine and WELCOME! I was off the board most of last week so I missed this post. You have come to the right place for answers to questions, support and caring. Marie, it sounds like you are surrounded by a loving family and Elaine mentioned at least TWENTY-ONE reasons for you to fight this beast with everything you've got. :D:D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D That's 21 smiles for your husband, your 6 children and 14 grandchildren. Your six children and everyone on this board will hold you up when you think you're falling down, and cheer you up when you think there's no hope. There is ALWAYS hope. Keep us posted please. ($10 fine payable on demand to Ry for everyone that counted the smiles :lol: )

God bless you,

Peggy

Elaine,

I have a question--was your mother's breast cancer on the same side of her body as this lung tumor? Just curious because I had breast cancer in 2001 and then in 2003 popped up with a lung tumor on the same side.

I am always told that one had nothing to do with the other, but it seems really strange to me--I have heard of several other women who have had the same thing happen to them--breast cancer with radiation and then a couple of years later, lung cancer.

Just interested, if you don't mind letting me know......

Hi Chloesmom,

One of the bad things about both chemo and radiation is that their mechanism of action plants the seeds of future cancers. The way they work is to try to damage the DNA so severely that the cancer cells can't reproduce. That's why they don't actually kill the existing cancer cells, instead they try to keep them from generating more cancer cells in the future.

That's fine for the cancer cells themselves, but they also inflict this same DNA damage on the poor innocent normal cells who happen to "catch" their ill effects too. Not surprisingly this sows the seeds of future cancers.

Cancer patients are the only place I know where this degree of risk is openly taken by the medical community. I think the degree of damage inflicted by both radiation and chemo towers over the "normal" environmental risk factors we all cringe thinking about. I guess the reason this is not talked about more is due to the underlying assumption is that the patient is short term terminal without the treatment so the potential good outweighs the bad.

All of this is the reason why I have decided not to take any more chemo or radiation unless I absolutely have to (which I may). In fact if I knew then what I know now I would have taken less treatment in the earlier stages of my disease.

The patient information for both chemo and radiation tends to focus on short term side-effects rather than long term risk factors. That's probably doing a disservice to patients. Just my opinion.

Best Wishes, Dave S

Dear Peggy,

Thank you for such an uplifting post and response for my Mom. I just love your photo from your house and your screenname. If you think about it we probably need another 6 smilies for our spouses....Then one big one for Mom. :)

Dear Chloesmom,

I found your question very interesting about the sides of the cancers. My Mom's lung cancer is on a different side than her breast cancer. Both are primary sites. She had tamoxefen (sp?) to treat her breast cancer but I am not sure about radiation. I am pretty sure she will be by soon and will explain herself.

Dear Dave,

Wow!!! What an interesting spin. I never thought of chemo and radiation that way. But I guess you are right, you do what you have to do. My Mother is at a good point mentally and physically to make this decision and we are all behind whatever decision she chooses. She is absolutely amazing.

Thanks again for the faith, support and valuable information.

Elaine

Mom.....this is for you

I AIN'T DOWN YET

I'm goan' to learn to read and write,

I'm goan' to see what there is to see,

So if you go from nowhere

On the road to somewhere

And you meet anyone

You know it's me.

You'll see me carried shoulder high,

By famous people I've never met,

But till I leave the rear,

It's from the rear you'll hear,

"I ain't down yet."

To show that you know,

You got to show you know you know!

I'm goan' to move

From place to place

To find a house

With a goldn stair

And if that house is red

And has a big brass bed

I'm livin' there.

You'll see me carried shoulder high,

By famous people I've never met,

But till I leave the rear,

It's from the rear you'll hear,

"I ain't down yet."

I love you ~ muah!!!

Marie,

It sounds like you have a wonderful support group with your family. However, if you need more we are always here. Welcome to the group no one wants to join and the best of luck on your upcoming treatments. I am sure you will make good decisions and it sounds like you have a great attitude. Come often.

Nina,

aka Nushka

Hello there Marie and Elaine.

Looks like you have found what everyone here has... a ton of support from people you don't even know, but you feel as though you have known them forever. Anyway, that's the way I felt when I found this site two years ago. Marie, I've been around for 27 years since my left pneumonectomy, and still going strong (I'm training for a 12hr mountain bike race on June 20th, which is just a warm up to a 24hr race in Sept.)

There's also many other people you will see on this site who are long term survivors. So, what are your chances? With surgery, and treatment, and the right attitude and support -- I'd say your chances are GREAATT!!!

(think Tony the Tiger). Take Care.

David P.

Yes, I do think it's true that chemo and radiation have their own inherent risks, but you have to treat what is going on at the time.

In my case, when I was diagnosed with the breast cancer, I was told that if I declined the radiation, which is the standard of care with my type of early stage breast cancer, my chances of recurrence were extremely high. With radiation and tamoxifen, I was given a 98% chance at never having it come back.

I was told that it would increase my chances of lung cancer, but only slightly. So, there I was, knowing that chances of getting lung cancer were only about 10%, and a slight increase with radiation, what were the chances that I would be one of them as opposed to neglecting the prudent course of treatment for a problem I already knew I had?

Of course I had the radiation and I am still happy with that choice. But, there is a lot of thought right now about the effects of conventional cancer treatments on long-term survivors. US News and World Report had an article several weeks ago about that and how the medical community was going to have to address it's treatment as it relates to long term survivors because there are a lot of long term cancer survivors today where there weren't not long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that since radiation is a known cause of cancer, albeit in high dosages, radiation is something that they will be looking at, but, you have to treat what's going on at the time, or else there may not be any need to worry about side effects.......

Tomorrow I am going to an integrative medicine clinic for a 3.5 hour consultation and physical...I am hoping and have high expectations that this will be an informative visit and will provide the missing link I have been looking for to keep me free of disease.

I think that the course of action with cancer treatment should be, at least for me,

Number 1--get the very best available medical advice and treatment.

Number 2--get the very best complementary nutritional and supplementation advice to enhance the effects of your medical treatment.

All the good nutrition and supplements in the world will never replace the science of medicine, but I think it's essential to get all the advantages we can on our side and that includes supplements and nutrition and exercise and all that.

Just my thoughts, that's for sure, but I need to feel like I am doing everything I can.......

Dear Marie and Elaine,

I want to add my welcome to those of the others on the board. I too am relatively new to all this -- my husband, who is 75, was diagnosed in late April and, as you can see below, is awaiting the next PET scan and chemo options -- we'll know the 14th of June what lies ahead. He is recovering now from his lobectomy and doing relatively well, all thing considered. The biggest problem now is anxiety and not knowing what we're going to hear on the 14th. The psychological angle is so huge - I'm doing my best to keep him positive but sometimes it's really hard.

As this discussion has demonstrated, deciding on the right options can be confusing, but you just have to forge ahead and do what seems best at that particular time. Which is what we're doing -- and you too, I'm sure. What's nice is having all these wonderful people, who know exactly what you're going through, pulling for you and encouraging you along the way. And sharing their incredible stories. I know I've become dependent upon this board -- in the best possible way -- and I'm sure you will too.

Ellen

What a great group of people! Thank you for the outpouring of support. You have touched us in a way you will never know.

Dear Nina,

You are so lucky to have such beautiful grandchildren. Four year old boys can be so much fun. I am glad you are able to enjoy them.

Dear David P,

When you find a way to bottle your enthusiasm for life, let me know. Congratulations on your fight against cancer and good luck with your race. Keep us posted.

Dear Chloesmom,

I am so impressed with your knowledge and research. Yes my mother did have radiation with her breast cancer but did not have chemo. I did not realize that lung cancer could be a side effect of the radiation. Please let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow. I will be very interested in how you are doing.

Dear Dave S,

I agree.....Chloesmom said it all.

Dear Ellen,

Thanks for your welcome. It sounds like Len and my mom are similar roads. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing Len's progress as well.

Thanks again for all the wonderful replies.

Elaine

For all of you but especially for Mom ~muah!

Please click on the link below....and enjoy!

"What a Wonderful World"

Hey Elaine,

Just saw your question to me. I do not go by Ry as a nickname anymore but I sign my name that way as it's shorter than writing out Rochelle Yvonne. I have a rather long last name so it's just easier to write Ry. I have always liked the name Ry ever since I first heard Ry Cooder. Wishing all the best for you and your mom.

Dear Rochelle Yvonne,

What a beautiful name. My daughter's name is Ryann Elizabeth and we call her Ry. She babysits alot and the little ones call her RyRy. She is the one who loves "Finding Nemo". She would love your 5 year old son. Is your husband still doing well? Thanks for your posts. You are very kind.

Fondly,

Elaine