FIRST PLACE !!!

David P

Hi everybody.

I didn't ever think in my wildest dreams (and I've had some pretty wild ones) that I would be saying this... I placed first in my age category in the 24hr World Solo Championship mountain bike race on the weekend!! It was a very difficult ride, and one where I spent most of the time thinking about all of you - dealing with this crummy disease, especially young Drew and his rare case, and all those who have past away since I began on this message board. I decided at the start line to dedicate my race this year to all of you, past and present, and even had a short conversation with Jesse just before the gun went off. My new photo shows me wearing the coveted winner's white jersey I received at the awards banquet. I have one cancer related story steming from the banquet to share with you -- the president and founder of The 24hrs of Adrenalin races was making his welcome and introduction speech at the start of the banquet and was talking about the wonderful stories that come from such an epic marathon event like the 24hrs race. Well, he told everyone about a guy that almost didn't make it to last year's race because his qualifying race was cancelled, and when he did race, his profile said his goal was just to finish the race... and this year he came first in his category riding 10 laps... then he made me stand up, and told everyone I did it with only one lung... but that's just the lead up to my story; the fellow sitting next to me was from Bute Montana (Lance Armstrong's good friend and riding partner, Levi Leipheimer is from Bute), and he leaned over and asked,"do you know what this is?" pointing to a yellow band on his wrist. I recognized it as being a "Livestrong" band that is purchased and worn as a symbol of hope, courage, and perseverance, in support of cancer research and the Lance Armstrong Foundation. He then removed it from his wrist and put it on my wrist saying, "wear yellow, live strong." He then told me it was given to him by Levi Leipheimer's brother who owns a bike shop in Bute. I almost started to cry. The Livestrong bands can be purchased from http://www.lancearmstrong.com

Now that the race is over for another year, I should have more time for the message board, but this year, I'm going to have to maintain some training over the winter so I can successfully defend my title next year. Thanks for all of your support everyone. Take care.

World Champ (45-49 yr age group)

David,

You look wonderful in the white jersey. Since I joined this board, you have been an inspiration to me. I admire your perserverance and upbeat attitude. Thank you for the dedication...it means a great deal to me. Congratulations! I expect you to keep your title for many years to come.

Nina

David , How wonderful! Great job! Love the picture and I see your yellow band on your wrist. Wish all with lung cancer victums could meet you like we have . Enjoy your triumph. Donna G

I am SO impressed --- and so thrilled for you. I know everyone else has said it but I have to repeat it -- you are an inspiration to us all, even to the caretakers like me who are out of shape and out of spirit. Now I'm going to get off the board and get over to Curves and work out. See what you've done!

Ellen

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

I know my role on this board is mainly a cheerleader for all of you out there struggling to make something positive happen. If I can help with some happy thoughts of what future possibilities may hold... then, as Cathy said, I am very proud of that. David C I hope everything goes well for you, and no, I'm not going to wear my white jersey -- I think I will frame it instead. And Don, I did receive your email last week, thanks for the thoughts. And everybody else too. I'm off to work. Take care. (PS sorry my photo is so large - this is the first time I've figured out how to post a photo without sending it to Rick)

David

David, this is just so cool! What an inspiration you are. I was planning my 3rd half-marathon in October but had to cancel when I got hit with cancer again, but I am not giving up. Especially after reading your story. I will start training again as soon as radiation is finished. I am more determined now than ever - thank you David P.

Love and hugs to you and many more FIRST PLACES!

Nancy B

David, you are a great inspiration and just what we needed here to boost moral. I am truly amazed and filled with new hope that this thing can be beaten back and life can still be rewarding in spite of our challenges. Thanks David for you encouragement by what you have overcome and continue to be a light in this dark battle.