Update on Lucie

Don Wood

I wanted to keep you all updated. Lucie finished her radiation on the sacrum Monday and it seems to have worked -- the pain has subsided. Now she hurts on the other side! We see the oncologist tomorrow and I am afraid he'll want a new round of scans.

We finally got to see the pulmonologist (we are both impressed with him) on Tuesday. He went over her medications and pointed out that a medicine she has recently been taking, prescribed by the cardiologist, is a beta blocker and has aggravated her asthma. Well, we were floored, because we know beta blockers aggravate her asthma, we just didn't recognize this new medicine was one. Well, that medicine went in the trash immediately when we got home.

He also told her to go back on her nebulizer and that has helped a great deal. He had her get an X-ray of the chest yesterday and we will know the result of that probably tomorrow. He just wanted to be sure there was nothing in the lungs. We went to him yesterday afternoon, and he wanted us to go across the street to the hospital right away for the x-ray. We knew that would be a couple of hours, and it was. Lucie was fine waiting for the x-ray, but I had my head in my hands moaning. She started to comfort me, and I thought, "What is wrong with this picture? I'm supposed to be the caregiver!" I decided we both needed for her to reverse roles at that point. We did get through it all.

I cautiously say that things seem to be moving in a positive direction. She is more cheerful and doing more things. I just can't shake the feeling of the next shoe to drop ("centipede feeling"!). Well, I went out today and got a massage! Boy, did I need that! I think I slept through most of it. I got a cold Saturday and it is just now tailing off, and I don't want to give it to Lucie. She says she wants me to get over it fast so I can kiss her again! I have been giving her many hugs, of course. Blessings. Don

Oh, Don, the frailties of the flesh! When we don't feel well it is just harder to handle everything. I'm glad you are on the mend and that you recognized you needed to pamper yourself a little, too. I'm jealous of the massage :wink:.

It sounds like progress in the right direction for your dear Lucie. Your pulmonologist really seems to be on the ball! (mine was pitiful 8)...I haven't been back to him since surgery).

Loved the comments about hugs and kisses...how sweet! [/i]

Don, I am glad that Lucie was able to turn the tables on you and provide you with the support you needed, as you have been doing for her. It shows that she must be feeling strong...What is that old saying, one of the ways to make a marriage work is that only one person gets to be crazy (or in this case, down) at a time...thats what its all about, a complimentery relationship wherein one persons strength makes up for the other persons weakness-even if it is just momentary.

I am also VERY GLAD that the pulmonologist caught the medication problem!!! What a good thing!! Whew.

I hope that soon you will be able to "throw" caution to the wind and say, in no uncertain or fearful terms that things ARE moving in a positive direction.

Get over that cold, take care of youself-and remember that hugs are good for the soul!! Take care, and here is a hug for you and Lucie ((((((((((Don and Lucie)))))))))). Deb

Hey Don,

Glad to hear Lucie's OK and her spirits are up! :D:D , Now shake off that " centipede feeling" and ditch the cold. Enjoy your 4th :lol::lol:

God bless and get well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today"

Don----hope Lucie continues to improve----I know, very trying, one test after another----it is endless----

glad you got a massage best thing when you are stressed out----

hope you feel better soon so you can kiss Lucie again

Eileen

nsclc stage 1A lobectomy 6/00

Don,

I think it is a good sign that Lucie had the strength and energy to comfort you. I think she must be feeling more energy if she was able to do that. That, to me is a sign that she is beating the cancer.

Just the fact that she could stand the wait for an X-Ray shows she is more strong now too.

I am saying my St. Jude Novena 18 times a day for everyone on this board. He is going to be so sick of hearing me that he will just cure everyone just to shut me up.

Don,

Thanks for the update on Lucie..It's great to hear that she's improving...

Thank god for the new doc pointing out the medication/asthma connection!!

I hope you have a great fourth...and forget about the other shoe.. :D

Laura

:lol: Hi Don,

Glad to hear that lucy is feeling better. Keep your spirits up, you are

the one that always gives us hope and inspiration. What we think, isn't

always the diagnosis. Have a Happy 4th and continued good health.

Marsha

dx 12/01 Stage11 Adenocarcinoma nsclc, 1/02 right lung removed,

4/02 spread to lymph nodes, chemo taxol/carboplatin, 6 treatments

beginning 5/02 ending 8/28/02- restaged 1V, been in remission since

and glad of it

We went to the onc today for the regular check-up. He says he is pleased with where we are. Lucie is on Zometa and he is looking into putting her on Iressa as well, as a maintenance program. He prescribed some physical therapy to help the upper and lower backs and also ordered an MRI (I feel oike that is our middle name) of her left thigh region since she is now experiencing some pain there. I think I have mentioned this before, but the big weight gain she had due to water retention is all gone! Everyone have a great fourth! Don

Don,

Glad that Lucie is feeling better and is able to give you some comfort when you need it. When I start feeling down Bill does the same for me and I think to myself.....wait a minute....he is the one with the cancer!!!

Another MRI?? Bill hates those too. Hopefully results will be good.

Continued prayers for the loving couple,

Peg

Glad Lucie is doing so well, and I hope that the pain in her upper leg turns out to be non cancer related and easy to treat. Don, I just wanted to take a moment to tell you and Lucie how much enjoyment I receive 'knowing' the two of you, and being allowed to be a small part of your world. My children are all young adults, and when I talk with them about the kinds of people they may meet as potential future husbands and wives, I tell them to read a little of the things you've written about your wife. I tell them to look for someone who will love them the way you two love one another. :o) And it makes me truly happy that out of all of the people in the world you two actually found one another. One of those every day miracles...that's what you two are.

Fay A.

Don and Lucie,

Glad to hear Lucie is doing better. I hear ya every once in a while we need support from others. The massage sounds great. I got a certificate for one for mother's day-now you made me think about using it.

Have a good 4th.

Rosanne

Don - I'm glad Lucie is on Zometa - my sister had lots of bone mets but was on Zometa since it was approved last December & never had a whit of problem with the bone mets causing any pain. I'm also glad that her doctor is trying Iressa as maintenance - a research nurse told me a few weeks ago that there is some indication that the EGF inhibitor drugs may take up to three months to stabilize cancer!

Have a great holiday!