Want to share but feel guilty

Leslie221

Hi, everyone. First, you'll notice the cross-eyed cat is gone and, in its place, a photo of Mark and I making funny faces at a party a year ago. I just really like the picture because I don't generally like serious pictures of me and this one reminds me of a happy time. So, that's me!

I read your encouraging message to people who are feeling well and feeling guilty sharing it. But, I still avoid telling you how lucky I feel because I haven't had one day of sickness or feeling anything but normal since a week after I got home from the hospital in January. If I hadn't seen the reports and the CT scans with my own eyes, I'd never even know I had something that wasn't cured in the hospital. The meds I have taken only make my face break out and don't bother me in any other way.

I read about the tough times many of you have gone through and I think, "Sheesh, will it make other people feel discouraged if I share my experience?" I know I am an exception to the rule and I just got lucky in a lot of ways. I really feel I have a good chance of lasting on new meds and in clinical trials until they really have something that will make my BAC just a chronic, manageable disease.

At the same time, there's a little voice in the back of my head saying, "Watch out! Someday the other shoe will drop and your luck will run out!" If and when that happens I will need everyone's support and friendship. But, till then, is it REALLY okay with the rest of you that I have joined the group but feel terrific?

I hope I can give some hope to other folks who are newly diagnosed as Stage IV and scared. Especially people with BAC which responds so well to the new targeted treatments.

Thanks for letting me ramble and share my insecurity.

Hi there Leslie,

Your cat looks just like you.. :shock:... You are adorable and cute hubby :wink:

So glad you are doing so well and are C free. You have to let us know this stuff.

We LOVE Good News. You have to share this so all our newbys know there is hope not dispair.

Keep the good news comming...Let us share in your excitement. :mrgreen:

Maryanne

Well, I'm not cancer free. There is a tiny tumor in my right lung and whisps of cancer in my left. The Iressa I took really did a number on the cancer right off the bat and then just kept it stable. I still have mets to bone (they haven't grown and may have shrunk but hard to tell without another bone scan.)

I think my husband's cute, too! 'Though I wish he could lose some weight and quit smoking!!! He gave up drinking last year and doesn't feel ready to go without at least one crutch right now, especially since the thought of losing me really freaks him out. I understand and there's no point nagging him (I mean, if MY getting lung cancer doesn't scare him out of it, what could I possibly SAY that would make him quit?)

From the day I cam home from the hospital he has only smoked outside and is very careful to keep any smoke away from me if I'm anywhere near by. I really appreciate that.

Thanks again for support,

Leslie

Hi

I love to hear your good news and am so happy for you that things are going well for you and I hope they stay that way for a long, long time (forever would be good!!!).

I cannot speak for anyone else, but it always give me hope to read other people's good news.

Jana

xx

Leslie I am really glad that you feel terrific during treatment. I wish everyone felt as good as you do.

I think it is important for people to know all different aspects of lung cancer treatments. I think its a positive sign that you aren't having tons of side effects, it may mean that we are getting closer to the cure that we all want and need.

I appreciate knowing there is hope for better treatments ahead.

I hope you continue to post and that the chemo continues to keep the monster at bay.

Wendy

Hi Leslie,

I can identify with the thoughts you are having. I joined this site in March 04, and my husband was doing really well at that time, even though he had quite advanced disease. He actually had been doing well since about the middle of Nov. 2003, but I didn't find LCSC until March 04. From the time I joined until this March 05, my husband has been basically stable. A few problems here and there, but nothing that slowed him down. He was able to work every day, work in our yard, ride his motorcycle and do everything he has always done. A little less umph, but he really felt good.

During that time, I would also feel guilty sometimes that he was doing so well and others were struggling, but I stayed here and continued to give support where I could.

When he started having some problems this spring, I felt guilty telling the bad news because I was afraid it would shatter hope. :roll: I'm sure the psychologists have some kind of name for this kind of whacko thinking, but I don't know what it is.

Anyway, I've learned you are welcome here - both with good news and bad news. We love to hear the good news, but like Snowflake says "Cancer isn't for sissies", so we're here for the bad news, too. We can take it all. When someone like you and Kasey, and my Don, and Don's Lucie, and Tina's Charlie, and Addie, and Cindi, and just so many others come on here that are fighting this disease like crazy, but doing well - we want to know about it and appreciate knowing about it.

We also need to hear from the ones who are very sick. We need to hear from the ones who are in remission, and the ones who have beat this disease. We need the ones with knowledge and experience, and we need the brand new scared people so we can encourage them, and the ones who have lost their loved ones to this horrible disease. We need the whole mix, and you, Leslie, are very welcome to be here.

Love, hugs and an extra big WELCOME!!

Peggy

Thank you. Helps me feel more like "part of the family." I generally feel pretty confident and positive, but sometimes I need some reassurance.

The caring that I have seen offered here is comforting and strengthening even when it's directed to someone else. I've been in group therapy before and the feeling is very much the same. Even if you're too shy to share, you still benefit from everyone else's experiences and thoughts.

So, if nobody minds, I'd like to share personal "woohoo's" when they happen. I know that every good moment is a gift I can't take for granted. I'm not out of the water yet.

Leslie

Leslie,

You don't have to be sick to be an active member...

...and for the record, Cancer AIN'T for sissies! :wink:

Here's a visual, view cancer as a shipwreck...those who are already on the lifeboat need to pull up the other survivors who can't get in on their own. Someday, those who were on the lifeboat may slip and find themselves in the water - and there will be someone to pull them out.

"When You Reach The End of Your Rope, Tie A Knot In It And Hang On!" Thomas Jefferson.

Leslie,

In my personal little world of Lung Cancer Survivorship I can honestly say that on the days when I don't have any good news coming my way I go out and actively seek good news from others.

When I can't find a smile of my own I am eternally grateful when someone else shares their good news and in effect gives me one of their smiles.

And about those shoes......

I've lost count of the times they've dropped. First the left one...then the right one...then another left one. I've had my butt kicked several times over the past 6 years by those darn shoes dropping. So I've learned to walk barefoot. You will, too.

I relate to the guilt, but understand the appreciation of the wonder of each day that we are accorded, also, even when others are not at fortunate. May you enjoy many more successes and help lead all of us into hopefulness.

Leslie

We are in a similar situation. My husband so far has been stable on iressa which he started in December04. He is due to be scaned tomorrow and we will get the results in 2 weeks (believe it or not the delay is so he can fit a business meeting in!]

He feels fine. The last time we saw the onc. I asked how much cancer is left and he said it was like a bag of glass marbles had been smashed (in other words I don't think they know].

May iressa tarceva hold the thing a bay until a cure is found.

Jennie

Hell, don't stop posting the good stuff! I'm forever quoting from this board to my friend when she gets down. I can't make her admit it but I reckon she's a lurker now. She said something on the phone yesterday which made me suspsicious :wink:

Anyway, it's not just people who have signed up here who read and everyone sharing their good stories (including the I feel well and I have nothing to else to report) is massively uplifting.

Dee

I like your pic, too. good fish face. thanks for the good news. I need to hear it, gives me something to believe in as far as my mom's LC goes. otherwise, good or bad, I know it's out of my hands and I just continue to ask for the strength to roll with the punches. I'm so glad you're hear.

xoxo

amie

Dear Leslie,

Please continue to share any good news you have. You are most welcome here and it is news such as yours that gives people here hope. My prayers that things remain good and you can post in this forum a lot!!

God Bless You,

Jane

PS love the pic of you and hubby!!