Peter Jennings died of LC

Maryanne

I've never read any actual details about what type of lung cancer he had. Perhaps his family will share that info now.

Here is the news report I just read:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Peter Jennings, prime-time anchorman for ABC News for more than two decades, died of lung cancer on Sunday at his home in New York, the network said. He was 67.

The Canadian-born Jennings, host of ABC's "World News Tonight" since 1983, announced in April that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer.

"Peter died with his family around him, without pain and in peace. He knew he'd lived a good life," his family said in a statement released by the network.

Jennings was the last of a generation of long-serving lead anchors for major U.S. broadcasters.

He is survived by his wife Kayce Freed, his two children Elizabeth, 25 and Christopher, 23 and his sister, Sarah Jennings.

My God, this news is so, so sad. My best friend was recently diagnosed with LC in her left lung after losing part of her right lung and undergoing treatment last year. She's already feeling pessimistic and the news about Peter Jennings isn't going to help. She did visit this site, at my suggestion, but only saw the loss and not the hope.

Hate this disease. Hate it, hate it, hate.

Mary Lou

Massachusetts

I had great hopes for Peter and believed that he would be back. I truly believed he would return.

Between David C and now Peter (and others here on the board), and me feeling horrible, I'm trying not to slip further into my depression hole.

Thank God he didn't suffer too long! He will be greatly missed!

I was so disappointed to hear this this morning. He was a great newsman. Apparently, he had been participating behind the scenes (in London) but I, too, suspected his lack of visibility was due to rapid progression.

So much loss. You are all my heros.

xoxo

amie

I have been watching the news all morning.... They did report that Peter had a very aggressive form of the disease.

You know, in the midst of all this sadness, I found myself thanking God this morning. Peter was diagnosed in April and fought for 4 1/2 months ... my dad was dianosed in 2001 and fought until one month shy of 2005... almost 4 years... That time was truly was a gift from God, a gift that I don't think I ever really thanked God for... and this morning I have and I do...

I understand Sharon. When I woke up this morning and heard it on the news, I went in to tell Bill and the first thing he said was that we have been very lucky to have been able to beat it as long as we have. Again, it is all about perspective. I was very sorry to hear that Mr. Jennings didn't have the same blessings. My sympathies to his family.

I got up at 6:15 (remember, teacher on summer break) cause of the doggie and a thunderstorm. Turned on the TV to check about the space shuttle and heard this lousy news. Haven't moved from the TV since.

They have said his cancer was directly linked to smoking.

And yes, I am feeling very lucky with my life.

gail

I too was shocked by the news this morning and left feeling very, very sad. I grew up watching Peter Jennings -- he reported my nightly news to me for most of my adult life. In some ways, he felt like a father figure to me and his diagnoses solidified my connection to him. This is such a loss.

It was very sad to hear this news. I know that sometimes we feel that if we had more fame, notarity or money, we might be saved from this terrible disease. Peter Jennings death proves that we are all equal in fighting this monster. His death will be a huge loss to many of us that enjoyed his newscasts. I really loved the personality he added to his reports but especially loved the twinkle in his eyes!

I also woke up, flipped on the TV and was shocked. I have been watching the ABC morning show for the last 2 hours. So sad. He was a good person. We loose so many really good people to this disease. I pray that something happens, some discovery, some exceptable devise that will diagnose this disease early and make a difference. Donna G