New To This Board

Guest Nicoletta8

Guest Nicoletta8

My name is Nikki and this past Friday (first oncologist appointment) we found out my dad has stage iv lung cancer which has already metastasized to the bones (ribs, femur, spine & pelvis). He is 77 years old and has decided against chemo. We support whatever decisions he makes. I'm an only child, my husband and I live in the same town as my parents and I am extremely close to them. I don't even know what I'm feeling right now - guess I'm still in shock. We knew he had cancer when we went for this first appointment but had no idea how advanced or aggressive it was. The doctor said chemo would only buy him 2-3 months and that we should call hospice right away. I scoured the Internet looking for a site that would help with questions and had support. Thanks for "listening".

Welcome Nikki. Wow he has mets ! I am glad you found us. What took him to the doctor? Was he having symtoms? Pain? Sometimes treatment can help make a person more comfortable even if it may not cure them. Sometimes chemo, sometimes just radiation to the mets.

What ever I know when you hear the diagnosis it really puts you in shock. Your Dad is so fortunate to have you near to lend support. Please let us know how things are going. Donna G

Welcome, Nikki. Glad you found this place. It is a good place for info and support on lung cancer. No one, not even the doctors, can say for certain how long anyone has with LC. A second opinion might help your dad look at the whole picture.

My wife was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC, with multiple metastases to the bones all over, and given up to 9 months. She chose chemo and radiation and has survived 3 years so far, with 3 chemo protocols and multiple radiations. Of course, the patient has to be willing to go through all this. Your dad has to decide for himself what he wants to do or not, but he should get all the information he can befure making decisions. Best to you. Don

Hi Nikki,

So sorry to hear about your dad's dx. I'm a lung cancer survivor, but my dad was dx'd with bladder cancer when he was 82. He also refused chemo, and lived three more years rather well. After going through chemo myself at 45, I can say that I don't think my dad would have survived it. Continue being a supportive daughter to both your parents, and I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Betty

Nikki,

What a shock. I'm sure it is hard to even know what you feel right now.

This place has been so helpful for me on this journey. I hope you can find some help and comfort here as well.

Take care of yourself while you are taking care of your father. Many of us have learned that we are no good to anyone else if we don't take care of ourselves along the way.

You'll be in my prayers. Keep us updated.

:) , Kelly

Hi Nikki, so glad you found this board but sorry there is a need...

Many prayers for your dad, Nikki. Remember to also take *care* of you.

Come here anytime, someone is always ready with a shoulder to lean on or for just about anything you need to help you as you walk this road with your dad.

Gentle hugs,

Libby

Hi Nikki,

I'm so glad you found this site. It is full of information and a great place to come for support and questions.

I know exactly how you feel about the initial shock of this disease. I'll never forget the devastation when finding out my mother had lung cancer.

My Moms doctor told us she had 3-6 months. She just passed her one year anniversary. So, stay optimistic...the doctors don't know how much time each of us has left.

I hope your Dad will consider what other options are available. This website would be a great place to start researching and learning.

Good luck to you both and please keep us posted as to how you and your family are doing.

Melinda

(((Nikki)))

It really is like having the rug pulled out from under you suddenly. I'm so sorry you're going through this worry and confusion and shock. It's all a part of loving, unfortunately.

I hope you and your dad will be able to spend lots of good time together and I know your closeness will be one of things that brings him joy.

Leslie

Hi Nikki

I am so sorry. I know how shocked and frightened you are. Just know that there are a lot of caring and knowledgeable people here to help you. Like Don said no one knows for sure how long anyone has to live no matter how bleak the prognosis is.

We had a very special man here. He too chose to have no treatment. He outlived his prognosis by a very long time. His name was Dean Carl. We lost Dean a month ago but his knowledge is still there for you to read. Go to The Path Less Traveled. You may find some peace of mind there reading some of Dean's posts. You may also find more hope than you think there is.

You and your family will all be in my prayers.

Nikki, although I am sorry that you needed to find us, I want you to know this is the best place to come for information and support. Everyone here has, in some way, had their lives touched by cancer. I know that your mind is probably spinning in a million different directions right now. Please know that we are here to offer any support possible. I'm sending hugs your way and saying a special prayer for you and your dad.

Hello Nikki and welcome. I hope you find comfort here. I don't know what is up with these doctors who play God and tell their patients that they only have a couple of months to live. I think it's just unfair for them to do so. Because nobody knows for sure how much time we all have here.

Hi Nikki,

So sorry about the news of your dad. That is devestating. You may want to get another opinion just to make sure.

We are always here for you. Feel free to ask questions ot to vent.

Keep us informed of his progress.

Prayers sent to him.

Maryanne

Hi Nikki,

Sorry to hear of your dad's dx, hope you get the support here that I found invaluable when I first joined not that long ago. My mum (age 64) was dx with nsclc with mets to bones in March of this year. She was told that she only had 3-6 months without chemo and maybe a year with chemo. She has just finished her chemo and her ct scan showed that her lung cancer is now in remission and her bone scan showed that her bone cancer is stable....there is still hope...wishinng you all the best.