Double sadness today

kitkathi

I had to put my cat of 17 years to sleep today. He hasn't been well for awhile but I was in denial. My vet said that it was the kindest thing that I could do. I really hated to do it, I hate it that I had the power to do such a thing. I couldn't even look my cat in the eyes because I felt so guilty. It was my dads favorite pet and now I don't have anything left. I had to put his dog down a few months before Pop's died. Anyway, I know that this is sort of silly to be so sad but I've raised that cat for 17 years (I rescued it from a German human society when he was a kitten). I'm just tired of death. My FIL (who has NSCLC)was told by his oncologist that his cancer is progressing and has a few months left. I just can't take it anymore.....

Kathi

as a former player in the same piece of crap game your in now, somehow your body and mind will go into auto-pilot and get you through this time.

Its odd how our bodies and minds sort of go into survival mode and protect us from the breakdown we want and deserve.

My autopilot mode kept me in it for about 12-14 months. I am just now regaining control of myself and with fear I take the control back.

fear that the breakdown will now come in a huge wave and swallow me whole.

I know somehow you will make it through.

Hi Kathy,

Your cat was also part of your family. Pet owners know that and symphasize with you. Also, it was a reminder of your pop's and now they are both gone. it hurts, I know that.

You have much on your plate. Now you have your FIL to deal with. This is overwhelming.

If I was with you I would give you a big hug that you desparately need.

(((((((KATHY))))))

Hang in there,

Maryanne

Kathi, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Of course this is a very painful thing for you. Anyone who really loves animals knows that they become a member of your family. After 17 years, this cat probably knew more about you than most people do. My cats are so intuitive and can pick up on most of my moods and feelings. When I am sick, they're right there beside me, giving me understanding looks. When I'm sad, they seem to know and start acting silly, as if to cheer me up. You have been through so much and I know your heart is broken. Just remember what a great life you and your dad gave the cat for all those years!

Kathi,

I'm so so sorry. :cry::cry::cry:

Animals are so unconditionally loving...of course it would be hard for you. You are a compassionate sole...it's unselfish to do what you've done. Just think, your Dad now has your cat as a special companion.

I will pray that you will get the strength to get through this.

Thinking of you.

Kathi,

I'm not sure if you remember, but I had to put my 17 year old cat to sleep too about a year ago. The same thing, he had been acting sick for awhile, but I was in a denial about it.

Part of the reason that I was so devastated, other than the fact that he was such a COOL cat, was because he had shared so much of my life with me. He was a living link to my life in NY, the only tie to the life I had left, and (I know this sounds wierd), he knew my dad, my dad had petted him. My dad died in 1991, but 13 years later, driving from the vet sobbing after leaving Casey, I distinctly felt the loss of this "tie" to my dad, to NY, to everything else I had lost or left behind. Casey had been through it all with me and now I was leaving him behind too. I felt so alone.

I hope that you find some peace in the loss of your pet. And I am so sorry to hear about your FIL...

Kathi,

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. Please dont feel silly. My two German shepards are like my family.....I love them dearly. Pets give us unconditional love.......at 17 years old, I know you did the right thing for your cat. Letting them go is the ultimate gift.

Take Care

NancyT

Losing a pet is like losing a family member. There is no shame in the grieving of a pet who leaves us. I have been there many times over the years.

These things seem to come in multiples....the bad news. I've come to almost expect that when one bad thing happens....another one or two is sure to follow. That doesn't, however, make them any easier to cope with.

I'm so sorry about your cat...but your vet is absolutely right...sometimes the decision to let a beloved pet go, is the ultimate gift we can give...the ultimate kindness for their years of devotion.

I have four little tins in my closet that hold the cremains of Jeep, Sadie, Murphey and Bobo. They will go with me when I go. Four of the best dogs ever...and I just couldn't scatter their ashes. Somehow it felt wrong. It feels much more right to have them travel with me when I go.

I'm so sorry Kathi...but I know, after 17 yrs, you have lots of great memories of your cat.

My best wishes to your FIL. Hang in there, honey.

Kathi, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Everyone here has offered such loving words of comfort.

Jim and I had animal-kids instead of human-kids and they were/are always included in the description of our little 'family unit'.

You had to make such a hard decision but your vet led you to the right place where you had to think of your kitty's comfort, even though it has brought you such intense pain. Hang in there, as those memories will surely bring you smiles in the future. We lost Dumbo in 1995 and I can still cry about her, but mostly I am amused and happy when I think about her.

I wish that for you.

Take care,

Lynne

Kathi,

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I am a cat lover too. We are fostering 4 kittens right now that are about 5 weeks old. We have had them for 2 weeks. Do you want to adopt one? :lol: We have been fostering kittens for about a year now. It's always hard to give them up, but we know that we can't keep them all. My daughter was always asking me for a kitten, so we now have two cats of our own. Now when she asks for a kitten, I call the Animal shelter and foster some.

I'm sorry to hear about you FIL too. My thoughts are with you both.