Hi folks, I'm a newcomer too..

Yep, I'm one of you guys 8) I am 73 y/o female in excellent health, no symptoms, even ran in senior games last year, the 1500 meter in 8 min 9 sec, no training for it, I just like to walk. I had a nose job for a basal cell skin cancer on 10/1/05 and the pre-op xray showed lesion in left lung. Follow up xrays, ct scan, FNA biopsy showed NSCLC squamous.

CT scans brain, abd-pelvis negative for mets. Bone scan neg. PET scan showed mets to lymphnode in lung.

My Pulmonary Function Tests were good. Oh yes, would like to add that I have smoked for 52 years and still smoke. Just cant stop it folks, I'm addicted.

My pulmonologist, oncologist and thoracic surgeon think I am a "great" candidate for RadioFrequency Ablation, RFA, minimally invasive thoracic surgery. I know there have been great results w/RFA liver cancer, not so much work has been done w/lung surgery. My surgeon is the only one in SA and Texas that does it I am told.

My problem is: I just feel so good I don't want to do anything. Anybody else feel like that? I think that once I start on this therapy train, it just keeps on going. I've had a great life, am not looking for cure or extended life. If, I was 30 years younger, I would fight like hell, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the quality of life I have now.

Anyway, the doc called me this afternoon and has the surgery scheduled for Jan 4, 2006. Has anyone had this surgery, can you give me some input? Would sure appreciate it. Thanks, and God Bless you all in your journey. :D

Welcome Barbara.

You sound very much like my MIL who is older than you. She looked into RFA but her insurance wouldn't cover it so she elected for radiation and no chemo. She handled it very well and feels great. She decided not to go for any follow up scans, says she's lived long enough and if the cancer is back she doesn't want to do more treatment anyway. I hope the RFA works for you. Good luck, keep us posted and once again welcome to the family.

Rochelle

Hi Barbara,

I just want to welcome you here. I do not know about the treatment you are having but I wish you luck.

I do not think that 73 is old. Certainly not this day and age. You still have quite a bit of years left. You are never to old to fight. This diseased can be put under control but you have to let the doctors help you because they know best.

You should first know all your options before you jump into any conclusions. LC is not a death sentence as many many here have beaten the odds.

I hope you fight. You probably would be a good candidate as you are active and strong for your age.

It is your decision.

We are always here for you no matter what. I am sure you will get many answers to your question.

Good Luck

Maryanne

Barbara,

I'm so sorry you have to be here, but I'm glad you chose to share with us. There is a wealth of information, support and help available at this site. I'm not familiar with your type of cancer, but it sounds like you are early stage and that is the very good news. I think you owe it to yourself to weigh all your options before you make a decision. As for the smoking, if you want to quit there is a wonderful site that helped me... whyquit.com .I smoked 38 years and quit 2 years 8 months ago. You have a lot of choices to make and we are here to support you. God Bless.

Sue

Welcome. I just had my anniversary of diagnosis. It has been 8 years and I am still cancer free. It took 5 months to finish my treatment, it was well worth it. RFA doesn't sound would take near that long to get over. Let us know what you decide. Donna G

Welcome Barbara,

You sound very strong and practical. It's my understanding that RFA is minimally invasive and should be a quick recovery. I read somewhere recently that it has been shown to be effective in a case like yours where it is relatively early and where traditional surgery is not an option.

Welcome and praying for your decisions. BTW, my mom smoked until she was 80...she finally quit cold turkey when her emphesema got so bad she had to go on oxygen. She is now 83, off the oxygen and doing well. Good luck and take care.

Hey Barbara - welcome! I moved to Nashville from San Antonio in 1984. I sure do miss that beautiful city, and the entire beautiful state of Texas!

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found this place. We're all fighting the same battle in one way or another. The more scrappy Texans, the better!

Di

hi Barbara, and welcome. sorry you had a reason to be here, though. I have no experience with RFA but I know you sound like a woman with the what it takes to beat this.

my mom struggles with the fact that she never felt sick with LC but now has a few limitations due to complications with treatment. in the end, she is working towards getting back to feeling great and living a longer, HAPPY life.

whatever you decide, hope you'll stick with us and let us support you.

xoxo

amie

Hi Barbara.

Welcome to our little group. Can't help you with your decision making. Did the doc say the stage you are?

Sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders. I have confidence that the decision you make will be the right one for you.

There is a forum here called ask the expert. Dr. Cunningham has been very helpful to so many of our members when we get stumped. You may want to give him a try.

Path less traveled is a good forum.

Cindi o'h

Wow. Sure hope I am as active as you when I reach 73 (and I will).

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but wanted to say welcome to our little family. You will find loads of info here. Whatever you are feeling at the time, someone here has traveled in your shoes. Stay with us and keep us informed of your progress while we travel this road together. We will cry with you or laugh with you. Just let us know what your needs are. The best advice I can offer you is to take it one day at a time and don't read between the lines. No need to borrow trouble. Again, Welcome.

I admire and pray for each of you on your journey. I had to laugh at Tina: her mom was 80 when she quit smoking (and is now 83) wow!!

Well, slight change of plans. Saw my oncologist today and he says I am not a candidate for RFA (yes, I'll let HIM tell the thoracic surgeon :roll: ). He did not see the PET scan before he referred me, and because I have mets to hilar lymphnode, he says more important to treat mets at this time. I am stage IIIB so he wants to start me on chemo: Carbo/Gemzar.

I have to wait until after 1st of year so Medicare RX will kick in. That's just the way it is. I am reading you guys and following your chemo logs and get a lot of encouragement. It will be a short term treatment, 2 rounds, and then we will go from there.

Maybe go fishin' :lol:

Love from San Antonio

barbara

Hi Barbara from a fellow Texan (Tyler), as everyone has said so sorry you had to find us, but so glad you did, I can promise you that this web site will come to be a very important part of your life in the days to come. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have found exactly what I need on here, wether it be encouragment, a shoulder to cry on, information, even a place to express my anger, its has it all.

Im sorry though to hear about the RFA, but glad they still have a plan of action for you. You look to have the same or very similar dx as my Mom did. She did excellent on chemo and radiation and today is cancer free and has been for a year this month. I pray that you are able to achieve the same results.

I can also understand about not being able to quit smoking, my Mom had quit about 5 yrs prior to her dx, but I have been unable to do so, even knowing that it breaks my moms heart to see me smoke. I just have not able to find what ever it is that enables one to put them down. Its hard, one of the toughest things ever. I do know though that with your current diagnosis that you certainly have a good chance to beat this and to put them down will certainly increase those odds, but I'm sure you already know this. But wether you continue to smoke or you are able to quit, we welcome you here and you will soon find that there are others who are still smoking.

Again welcome and please feel free to post and ask any questions you may have, even the ones you are afraid to ask, someone here has the answer or can guide you in that right direction.

God bless

Kim