What's that stuff?

icbn

Only 2 weeks into radiation and my throat already feels like I'm trying to swallow cactus wrapped in sandpaper. I don't know if it's the rad or a sore throat, it is high up in my throat. I figured it would be more under the breastbone.

What is that Magic Mouthwash stuff called. Any other treatments for the throat?

Thanks,

Bill

:lol: I've been looking for you and missing you, Bill!!! Good to see you! There are many here with lots of different remedies. Unfortunately I am NOT one of them. I just wanted to say hi! Other than the throat - which is a very big thing, I know - hope all is going along well. Give us more update when you can.

Kasey

Bill,

Those of us going through cancer treatments, whether chemo or radiation or both simultaneously, are prone to developing Thrush, a fungal. In addition to trying to the Magic Mouthwash preparations (druggists can mix up a batch for you), you should have your physician check your mouth and back of your throat for white patches. Worst sore throat I ever had came from Thrush.

Did you ever ask about the Amifostine Injections?

Hi!

From my oncologist:

I hope this helps. It helped me an AWFUL lot, because also on and off I had thrush, which made for really bad mouth sores.

My oncologist prescribed this for me when I had difficulty eating post

chemo and radiation:

Directions: swish and spit about 1 spoonful (fifteen mls) every 30 minutes as needed, esp before

eating. (you can swallow a little bit or a little more...)

Mouth rinse: (pharmacist has to make it up)

25 cc of liquid Benadryl, 25 mg/cc stock solution

25 cc of Maalox

25 cc of lidocaine, viscous, 2% solution

25 cc of nystatin liquid. (stock solution)

-----------------------------------------

There is also a premix similar to the above available in the Wash DC

area by prescription called Gel-claire, but the nurse had no firsthand

knowledge of it.

Hope this helps!

XOXOX

MaryAnn

You guys rule. I love this place.

I didn't know if Magic Mouthwash was a generic term or specific. IT is apparently specific. My Rad Onc gave me a prescription for it today. She ( BTW the rumors were true, she is cute) gave a list of ingredients and the pharmacists mixed it. Fortunately he had the Bats ears and Newt eyes in stock.

I also remembered someone mentioning Carafate before and could not bring up in my Chemo Brain memory banks what it was. Thanks for being there with the answer.

Luvmydog, what is the GI Cocktail?

Yesterday it felt like I was ripping my throat apart when I swallowed, after the Magic mouthwash it just feels like I'm rubbing it raw. Is that level of improvement about what everyone else experienced?

Again, thanks to all for your kind replies. It's good to be home with all of you.

Bill

BTW

My wife and I traveled to Madisonville, Ky to see my new Grandson this last weekend. I am one happy camper. Life is good.

My dads docs also suggested having some yogurt every day to prevent yeast. Dad eats tons of popsicles, he refuse to do the mouthwash, then again he refuse lots of things! :D

Anyway he also finds that hard candy helps and like others have said sipping water thru the day. Hang in there and hope you are able to find some relief.

Shannon

Welcome back Bill, it is good to see you posting again and we know that you are alright.

I know your throat will get better and better as you use that magic stuff :D

You grandson is adorable, your avitor is precious.

Maryanne

Hello Bill,

My husband (also a Bill) went through the radiation last year, and had the throat swallowing problem, as well. He was given the "Magic" thing, and had it on hand, just in case.

Most of the time, sipping his tea (room temperature - couldn't take hot or cold) helped a great deal.

Softer foods became the norm, and he arrived at the other end of the chemo/radiation regimen looking and feeling fine.

As with your attention to your care, he knew that he had to stay nourished to help with the treatments. If he had needed to take the magic throat thing, he would have taken it, without question.

Improvement was seen when the radiation ended. He returned to more regular eating as time elapsed after the regimen. He has felt so much better in the ensuing months.

Barbara

Bill...glad you got such great advice! You can always leave it up to these guys around here to be full of it...lol! So glad you are enjoying that new grandbaby. I hear there's nothing lile being a grandparent. I can't wait for my turn to roll around. Oh...also good news for you that your radiation oncologist is a looker! I can just imagine how you must look forward to appointments???

Glad you're throat is feeling better!!! We'be been missing your posts!

I had the mouthwash - it was mixed by the pharmicist and worked great. My included 4 items - lidocaine, nystatin, benedryl and maalox. I was told to swish and swallow.

Do see a doctor - thrush can be painful and can also spread. It's easy to get rid of - I took a pill once a day for 2 weeks.

Good luck.

Mary

Dear Bill,

Its probably from the radiation. My dad had a hard time with that...he was prescribed Magic mouthwash, that was actually on the prescription. It was never filled for my dad, but it had a lot of coating medicines in it. My dad's doctor said it helped a lot of people. When my dad refused the medicines the doctor said they could shoot it in a different angle, but it might not help the pain. It decided to stick it out and did.

Hope this helps...Beth