Another newbie..unfortuately..

dihen

On January 31, my mom (63 y/o) was diagnosed with lung cancer and since then, life for me and my family feels like it has not stopped spinning. This horrible disease consumes you like nothing else in life - you know that there are no absolutes guarantees and so you struggle to find anything that will cure your love one. I found this site shortly after mom was diagnosed, and though I am only de-lurking today, it has been a sustaining force for me during these very difficult 2 months, and I have benefited from all the stories that have been shared by all of you and also from all of the support and advice that has been offered.

There is strength in numbers...

Thank you!!!!

Diane

welcome, though I hate that you need us. I could have written your opening sentences. there are other similarities between our moms, and mine is doing great today, living her life and kickng a%$. hang in there, and let us support you however we can.

xoxo

amie

Thank you all for the warm welcome and words of encouragement, and good wishes for mom's recovery. I hope to become a more integral/participating member of this wonderful group.

Gail - my mom was originally diagnosed by Lankenau hospital, but then referred to Dr. Larry Kaiser (lung surgeon) down at the Hospital of the University of Penn by an oncologist/cancer treatment center (in Doylestown), where she had gone for a second opinion. She had surgery at Univ. of Pa and now has follow-up care with them (until the air leak closes) but for the other preliminary tests and such before surgery, she went Central Montgomery (formerly North Penn).

In many ways, dealing with mom's cancer has made me appreciate life so much more, and with all the hardships during this time, I have also felt so blessed in a lot of ways too, to have the love of family and friends. And I have never felt closer to my family then I do today...

Hi Diane,

Welcome here, sorry you had to find us but as you can see we are a very supportive and very informative group.

You mom was very lucky she was able to have an operaion. Give your mom time to heal. Just going through that operation is still recent and it is a very tough and painful operation. She needs time to heal. You will see that she will get stronger each day.

Is she going to have Chemo?

We are always here for you 24/7.

Maryanne

This is a very busy highway and well traveled by a lot of wonderful people. Sorry you are here but glad you got us to help with a roadmap. Ask and ye shall recieve info and prayers. (Get prayers w/o asking though).

Is she going to have Chemo?

We are always here for you 24/7.

Maryanne

Thank you Maryanne, and the rest of the gang, who have made me feel so welcome already!

Maryanne, we don't know yet if mom will have chemo. When she had her first checkup with the surgeon last Friday, he said he didn't think she would need it but we should find our more today when she goes back to see him again. My family is new to this process but we all feel like it would be safer if she gets some chemo "just in case" and no matter what the surgeon tells us today, we will have mom followup with an oncologist soon...

dihen:

Sorry you have to be here, but glad you decided to "de-lurk". Wow, you and your mom have been through alot already -- but as you see, we all will help you and your mom walk this journey.

My mom isn't happy with the oxygen thing either. She's currently on 5 liters continuous, but has been from 4-7 liters during this process so far. My understanding from her docs. so far is that at some point she may be able to recover enough to come off of it (and that's alot of O2 my mom is on). There's hope...just take things one step at time.

Hugs,

Linda

Diane,

I am sorry you had to find us, but glad you have joined this amazing group of passionate, supportive people. It's great news that your mom was able to have surgery, and there is a lot of information on the benefits of having chemo post surgery to knock out any miniscule cancer cells that are floating around. I would encourage that path.

Anyway, you will be in my thoughts and prayers for positive results!

Sandra

Linda661, I just read your signature and saw that you are an only child...and man, I can't imagine how you are handling this alone, or do you have other relatives/friends helping you? We're fortunate to have 3 siblings and my father (although it's hard for him because he has Parkinsons) involved in the process with my mom, and to take turns doing this and that!

I'm sorry that your mom has to be on continous oxygen too! My mom is only allowing herself to use no more than 2 liters continous oxygen because she is determined not to be dependent on it. Mom really labors just to move from her chair to the bathroom (about 15 feet) and the oxygen rep told her that she really should turn up the oxygen to 3 or 4 when she is moving around, but she refuses to do so. Bless her heart though - her determination and fight is what she will need to beat this thing!

I also can relate to when you said your mom was being "mean" to you at some point. My mom was like that on and off for the past two weeks but seems to be leveling out now. She would get snappy and then feel so bad and apologize, but we told her that she had every right to be angry. We want her to express her emotions because she oftens keeps everything inside.

Thanks again..and all the best to you and your mom!

Diane

Diane,

Sorry to find you here, but yes, you are in

the best place to get information and support.

Your Mom already had the operation, now waiting

for what is next.....those waiting periods

are hard, but soon the answer will be there.

Wishing your Mom and you only the best.

Jackie

Hi Diane.

Welcome out of the shadows and into the light.

Pulmonary Rehab has helped so many of us.

I am going through it now, but wish I would've done it (wasn't offered) very early on. I think my lung function would be better now if I had.

It sounds as if your mom could use this valuable program. It has been very educational for me.

I think your Mom might feel a whole lot better afterwards.

Cindi o'h

Welcome Diane,

It is always nice to see those reading in the shadows to join in.

(And it feels so good to share with others who know what we are going through too!!!)

You have found a great place for support, experience and advice.

I look forward to hearing how both you AND your Mom are doing.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Welcome Diane: I am sure your mom will continue to improve and evetually shed the oxygen. I had to use it for a month after my last surgery and now I can walk a mile in 16 minutes without an oxygen tank. I blew into my spirometer and went for a lot of walks. At first I would cart the oxygen with me as I walked around the block. I am 61 years old. It is encouraging that your surgeon thinks your mom won't need chemo, but go see the oncologist and let him decide. If it were me, I would ask for chemo.

Don M

I certainly hope that your mother continues to improve. Be sure to talk with your doctor about adjuvant chemo. It is usually a good thing, even when the doctors feel like they have "gotten it all".

Prayers

Diane:

Nope, I am IT -- no other family/relatives to help. This site is literally my only support to get through this and it does a wonderful job at it.

Re: the meanness issue -- in my mom's case, this is occuring due to her disease (blood chemistry mess on and off) and the meds mix she is on rather than simply an emotional issue for her. She doesn't know she's doing it when she does it and that makes it really hard. At first, it hurt bad, but now I at least know why it's happening -- and it took awhile for me to find that out (research, research, research!). I am sure her emotions are in the mix there somewhere too.

Kudos to your mom's grit and determination to beat this disease and not be dependent on oxygen. My mom is determined not to be tethered to oxygen too -- it really does cramp the lifestyle and activities she is used to. It is important, however, that your mom be sure that her oxygen saturation is good -- is that being monitored on her? Oxygen saturations can be below healthy levels and the patient won't necessarily feel it (at least my mom hasn't felt anything when hers were way too low). Hopefully her doctor has set some guidelines there.

Hugs,

Linda