Better luck next time

TracyD

Well, it wasn't the news we were hoping for. Slight progression in most areas, tumor and pleura, and a new 2mm nodule in the left lung :(

So, off of Tarceva (goodbye rash!) and hello Carbo/Taxol/Avastin (hello baldness!) We had suspected this might be the case due to the increased aches and pains in my side, probably caused by the tumor growth. I can't say we were prepared to hear it, but we had tried.

I am having an MRI of my brain on monday, and if it comes up empty, I start chemo next friday. In the meantime I have my whole family here with me this weekend (except for Kasey, whom I would love to hug right now) so I am surrounded with people I love.

Quick story. I saw a new doc today as my guy is on vacation, and I also have a new fellow. The fellow comes in, tells me bad news (really badly too), and then offers me watch and wait as a possible treatment, even with the progression! I tell her "I'm 39 years old, I was diagnosed 4 months ago, this was my first treatment, why would I choose to forego treatment?" She tells me that some people need a break, that for some, slow progression is okay. OMG! We said thanks, but no thanks. She also kept saying dumb things and then saying "that came out wrong didn't it?" I feel bad, she's nice, but she's new and she shouldn't have seen me alone. The doc covering for mine came in after and I loved her, she never mentioned anything so crazy.

Sorry for the vent, but really! Thanks for all the support folks. I'm off to recenter myself (have some wine) and gear up for the next round.

Tracy

Tracy,

Stay strong! Just think of this as "Next!"....and don't you luv the young drs!!! :o, I forgot, are u at a teaching hospital?.....because it sure does sound like it......

I'm glad that you are with family at this crazy time. you know we are here for you.....I'm sending my good, positive thoughts your way for an "empty head" on Monday......

Grace

Hi Tracy, I am so sorry the news was not better.

About the 2mm nodule in left lung, I wonder how certain that is. So many of us have had nodules show up on one scan and then disappear on the next scan. You might consider that this new nodule is not 100% "for certain".

You are young, strong and a non-smoker, so I don't think the statistics apply in your case. Your doc's should understand that.

I wish you the best of luck with the new chemo Tracy.

Barb.

Tracy~

I am sure that somewhere in the country there must be a wine trial for lung cancer -- I mean it's good for the heart, why not lung cancer. So drink up, have a good pity party and get back to fight mode. Carbo/taxol worked well for John and the Avastin is currently holding things in check.

Rochelle

(((Tracy))),

Recentering yourself sounds like a good idea. I wish the results had been better, but Tracy please try to put the bad experience with the "new fellow" out of you mind. I so remember one of Mike's doctor assistants or nurse practitioners doing the exact same thing. One of them actually came in one time and said , "well would you like to try a new chemo or are you considering hospice". I could not believe my ears. That happened long long before Mike was ready to give up. If they had any idea just how devastating the wrong words can be for the patient. Try to remember the hope and encouragement that the doctor left you with. My prayers continue and I will be watching for your MRI results. We will take it from there. I'm a bit out of the loop as far as cancer treatments now , but I'm seeing new drugs coming along and I'm praying that one of them has your name on it with the word "CURE".

Love and Prayers,

Sue

Tracy - I am so sorry that you did not get better news, and I'm sorry the person delivering the news did it poorly. We all know that doc has alot to learn and we all know that you've got the spunk to kick this cancer to the curb! Praying your next scan will show NED! Enjoy your wine and the company of your loved ones!

Karen

Ok, that settles it. I'm opening a bottle right now, and I'm joining you in that wine.

Oh Tracy, I'm so sorry this news sucked. Also sorry you had to endure that fellow. I remember Keith's first doctor actually told him after his first chemo that he thought he should just wait and watch too. When we questioned it he said "well I did tell you you were terminal". Well we fired him, and it turned out the second line chemo is the one that showed us shrinkage.

Tracy I am praying for you. I will pray for you every morning when I wake, every evening when I go to bed and throughout the day too.

I'm sending you so much love right now, I hope you can feel it coming across the line.

Tracy,

Well, crapola!

I'm raising a glass in your honor and wishing you well. Kick some ***!

Karen

PS My mom loved her first onc until he told her, after her 4th line of chemo, "are you ready for comfort care?" She grabbed him by the tie and said through clenched teeth, "So I look ready for comfort care?" Then she fired him.

Hi Tracy,

Sorry the news was not what you wanted to hear. I haven't tried the Tarceva yet - I didn't want to deal with the rash. I tried Alimta and it was not effective. Now I'm on Taxotere and hoping this will prove better. My doctor gives it to me weekly for 3 weeks, then a week off. He says that will eliminate the side effects - including losing my hair. I'v only had one infusion which presented no problems and hopefully I'll be getting another Monday.

Good luck.

Mary

Tracy, this news stinks and the news breaker stinks even more, BUT, if you read the profiles here, women, nonsmokers do the best beating this disease. Sometimes it just takes finding the right chemo for your body chemistry.

By the way, skip the wine and just but a straw in a bottle of vodka for a day, then put your kick as- clothes on go into attack mode.

too early for a bottle but who cares anymore 6 am here. If i can help in any waty let me know. Will do research for any thing ya'll need. can't see the screen barely righ now thru tears sorry bout that but . Sending a prayer for ya'll right now.

Tracy,

This just stinks. I'm just so sorry to hear this, but I have such faith in you and your strength. I was on the same protocol of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin since May of 05. It is certainly doable and there are really great wigs out there. My husband thought I never looked so good.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me any time.

Joan

Oh I am so glad that you are smart and knowledgeable about cancer. I am so proud of you for getting educated about lc and can spot a line of crap when you hear it. Thank God for lcsc.

It's almost time for rice krispies and vodka! Yumm.

Pub's staying open all weekend.

Cindi o'h

Aggresive, Aggresive, Aggresive! If they don't understand this, then I guess it's up to you to teach them! ((((((TRACY))))))))

Not the news I had hoped to hear for you, but we all know there are options!

Stay strong and put on your boxing gloves and come out swinging. Puch this cancer right off the map!

I hope the wine helped ease your mind and you were able to regroup.

Hearing that news really sucks, Tracy.

I'm very sorry that the Tarceva didn't work as planned. BUT, they realized it quickly so time to find something that will work!!!

Praying that the Avastin will work it's magic like it has done for so many here.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Hey there Tracy ~

I was hoping that you would have good news to share with us, darn it!!! :evil:

Carbo/Taxol worked well for me and it is doable. Yeah, it is "Good-bye hair", but it is also "Good-bye to bad hair days" too.

I'm with you on the recentering and I'm cheering you on!!

::::shaking my pom-poms::::

Pam in FL