May need to join you - alot of questions... Updated

Dina

What an amazing support forum I have stumbled upon. I may be joining you all soon but I am so confused on what to expect next.

My Dad - who is my world, went to the heart Dr. for a follow up this past Friday. Dad was informed that they found a 1.5cm "spot" on his lung. He is going to see a Pulmologist (sp) on Wednessday. Dad is 78 years old - smoked 3 packs a day for 55 years - quit 6 years ago. He also had Prostate Cancer 9 years ago. Treated with removal of the Prostate and that was it.

Dad has also been going to therapy for his back pains which the family Dr. assumed was arthritis. As I sit and think about it - the two may be conected.

I guess what I need to know is what to expect next? Will they send him for a biopsy? Will they just watch it with follup CT scans every three months? Will they give him a PET scan? How long will it take for us to know if it is Cancer?

I am just so lost already. I am his youngest of 7 kids and a true Daddy's Girl. If he is ill, I will be his primary caregiver. My Mom has her own medical issues and will not be able to care for him. How do I be strong for him when I am falling apart already? I just got this news on Friday and I have been a total wreck ever since.

I will be going with him on Wednessday - is there anything I should ask the Dr.?

Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Hi Dina. You might want to post under teh "Introduce Yourself" forum. I know it is easy for me to say and hard for you to do but take a deep breath and try to relax a bit. Make sure when you go with your dad to his appointments that you take a spiral notebook along to take notes of what the various doctors tell you and also to make notes to yourself of things you want to ask them. For now lets hope for the best with the spot because there are many things it could be other than cancer. The order of my process was xray, CT scan, PET scan and then a biopsy. Welcome to this wonderful site and know that there will be many people with good wishes and help if that is what is needed.

My personal insight at this point is to wait and see what happens.

It seems as though scans are showing something. doctors do not know what though. It may just be nodules, which are basically harmless, If I am not mistaken. I could be wrong but nodules are nothing compared to cancer, I think. My experience is Nonsmall Cell lung cancer.

The next step should be a biopsy though. Welcome to B9 Bingo we call it. You want to hope and pray that whatever is found is B9 not malignant.

Right now just stay with folks and be there for them. Take care of yourself also. You have to take care of yourself to take care of them. Stay positive for now. THis may be nothing. No one knows for sure yet what it is to worry about. Think positive and say prayers until biopsy time. then we will know what the next step is, if there is one a all. Praying that there si no next step herefor you and your family. If there is a need to be anywhere thisis the best place in the world for you.

Hi,

I'm glad you fornd the board, but hopefully, you won't need us.

I think you need to wait and see what the diagnosis turns out to be - I know it's hard. I also know it's hard for everyone to deal, especially in the beginning. That's just a part of the process and you allow it and you get through it.

I'm hoping things work out well for your Dad. And I know when and if he needs you, you'll be able toprovide the support.

Mary

Dear Dina,

I can't add much to what has already been said... Katie has provided you with a great list of questions for the doctor. My Dad, who was also my "hero"... had an xray, then CT then Pet Scan... and then finally a biopsy to find out exactly what type of lung cancer we were dealing with. I think it is logical that you could expect at least of few of these things to happen. But... the Docs may do a CT scan and say...nope.... looks like a nodule and lets "watch and wait"... so try not to put the horse before the cart... of course that is real easy for me to say.... I know its hard to watch your Daddy go through this... you will be stronger than you think you can ever be!! This much I can promise you. If you need to talk, PM me.... I am here for you as one Daddys girl to another. Love, Sharon

I want to thank you all for the kind words of wisdom and support. I am trying to be as upbeat and positive as possible. If this does turn out as cancer, I will be with him - fighting with him. I am very thankful that I do not have to work and can dedicate myself to him if need be. I will update everyone once I know more and I will hopefully be able to wish you all the best without me.

Hi Dina, Like many said above, most likely they will follow with a PET and a needle biopsy or a bronchoscopy. They are automatically thinking the worst with his cancer history and smoking history.

If they confirm it is lc, then they will access him for surgery. This would most likely mean a bone scan and brain MRI.

The good part is this still could be just a scar, and even if it is cancer it is still very small spot.

I wish you and your Dad best of luck on followup tests. Please keep us posted.

Barb

Oh Dina, I am so sorry that you and dad are going through so much. Please know you have come to a wonderful place, and a place full of information. Katie has given you a tremendous list, and for that I am so thankful. Please, keep us informed, and let us know how we can help.

God bless,

Jen

Well - we know less now then we did last week. Went to the Lung Dr. He never went over the CT scan with my Dad - He told him he would look it over and be "right back"....well - he never returned. Sent his nurse in and said they will call him when the schedual some tests for him. They want him to go for a sleep apnea test - no clue why....a PET scan and some other breathing test. Then never told him he was done or anything...sat in there for another 25 minutes till they came in to bring in another patient and they asked him why he was still sitting there.......UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg.......the wait continues......

Dina,

So sorry for all the confusion and frustration regarding your Father. Just try to hold on and make sure someone goes with him to his visits, tests, etc. so there is an extra "ear". I'm chiming in too as the youngest (and only girl) of seven. I'm not so sure about the Daddy's girl part though... :wink:

We are here for you.

Welthy

Well the PET scan was done on Tuesday - they told my Dad the Dr. would have the results in 48 hours. We have a "lung capacity"?? test on the 2nd. They have not called yet the set up the sleep apnea test which is fine by us.

Mom has me totally freaked out....she has the PET scans - she said there are 50 different sheets. She told me she looked through them all and sees the "spot" on the lung - but - in her words "it must not be anything important because there is one on his spine and his other lung too".....uuugggg....did I mention this wait is killing me.

Dina,

If this helps, awhile back I looked at one of Tony's PET scans with the Oncologist and I freaked out when I saw this huge spot in his lung. (This was after we had gotten rid of most of the other huge spots.) The Doctor laughed and told me it was his heart! Whew! Hang in there kiddo!

Welthy

Hi Dina,

I certainly can feel you frustration. ERRRRRRRRRRRRR

I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and really hoping for your dad to have good results. This wait is so frustrating...

Please know that if the results are not good that there is so many different treatments now of days. You dad will get help he will need to fight this battle.

We are here for you to help you through this if necesssary.

Maryanne

It sounds like my first advice would be to find another doctor. Make sure you get copies of all of his scans (the scan itself, not just the interpretation), xrays, blood tests etc. Just get a second opinion to be sure. There doesn't seem to be much communication for you where you are now.

Nina

Dina:

Forget the pulmonologist and the sleep apnea thing. Take all the scans and records and go to a comprehensive cancer center. You will get much better attention there. As far as I know the only reason for your dad to continue with a pulmonologist is to see if he is a candidate for surgery or to have a broncoscopy to get tumor tissue. A PET scan should be the next order of business to see if the cancer has spread. If it is still in the lung then the pulmonologist can do breathing tests to see if he can do surgery. Anyway, your dad had shoddy care there and should go somewhere else.

Don M

• 1 month later...

Well - it has been what seems like forever. My father FINALLY got the results of his PET and CT scans from before Christmas. The idiot Dr. said it was asbestos in his lungs - but due to his age - he will be 80 in July - they did not want to do a biopsy. My Dad hates hospitals and needles so he smiled and walked out of the office. The idiot did state that they want to redo the CT scans every 3 months for 2 years and watch them. Well he goes tomarrow for his first redo. An appointment is set up for March 8th to get the results.

Dad has been declining the last couple of months - short of breath, choking on everything, can't walk 5 feet without having to stop - he actually fell asleep at his computer the other day - something he never does......

From everything I have read - which I need to stop reading- it doesn't look good..... I mean how often does a man who has smoked for 60 years and worked with asbestos for 20 some years - just have deposits on his lungs........

Hope to have good news but still planning for the worst......nothing like 4 months of the unknown....

Dina,

If the PET scans show no uptake it’s a pretty good sign that there is no cancer. PET scans can give false readings. Negative false readings are less likely than positive false readings. If I was unhappy with the results I would consider a second opinion.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Dear Dina, reading your post is listen to my daughter. Worries & more worries. I think you can have a great information here. They know & they care a lot. My english is not so good so I do't write a lot but please be POSITIVE & if you are not happy with yours dad DR get a 2nd opinion. You have all my support.

Best of luck !!!!!& a lot of prayers

bucky