one month followup after ck

Don M

I had my follow-up appointment yesterday. I reported to my radiation oncologist that I seem to be less symptomatic. I told her I have less wheezing and my cough is getting better. She said that is a good sign.

I found out that the main reason that they did not give me a tumor-killing dose was that there is a peripheral area of healthy tissue around the tumor that gets 30% of the level of dose that the tumor gets. In my case, the tumor is so large, that the peripheral area extends out to the entire upper lobe. So, in an attempt to preserve my lung function, they lowered the tumor dose to a level that 30% of it would not kill my healthy tissue and it will recover. I may still get a good response with significant shrinkage. If my tumor is much smaller say a year from now, and it is still viable, they will consider wiping it out with a few more doses. She said that if my tumor had been say half the size it was at the time of my ck treatment, they would have delivered 5 doses instead of 3 with the object of killing the tumor and would not be so concerned about my healthy lung function because I would have much of the lobe unaffected by the ck.

She now thinks that my original tumor actually died because it did not grow for 3 months after treatment a year ago. She thinks that the new growth is stuff at the periphery of the original tumor that avoided radiation. That seems like a reasonable explanation to me since I had really high focused radiation last year and it was really hard to believe that it did not affect the tumor much. My next scan will be in the first week of September.

Don M

Way to go once again, Don!!! This sounds like better than pretty good news to me......right? You continue to amaze me, you sure do! Hope you continue to feel better and better and enjoy the summer. Can't wait for that Sept. scan to see further reduction/improvement!

Kasey

WA-HOO to you! I think it is great that you are having less wheezing and coughing. That makes it more fun, I'm sure. What an interesting explanation on the 'growth'--never thought of that.

I really feel confident that Sept. will bring more good news. Glad you kept us posted. You are such a hero for so many of us!

:) Kelly