The crib

Nick C

Every event in preparation for baby has been rough...and I dreaded two more than any, one was the shower, which I would enter at the end and Mom wouldn't be there but the second...the crib. Because when I was done there would be a painted, furnished, appointed baby's room...complete...with a crib. And no mom to see the face of as she walked into the room and saw it all together for the first time. As long as I hadn't assembled the crib, I wouldn't be accutely aware of the fact that there is noone who would be so excited to see this room as mom would have been. Mom upon seeing the room would have been so excited that here it is...her grandchild is almost here.

I walked in house two weekends ago, it was quiet, and I said, I'm going to do the crib. And so I walked up the stairs, 6 trips with the parts, two flights of stairs.

Laid it all out...silent...and I became aware of the silence...and I didn't turn on a radio or a tv...I assembled the crib in silence...moving slow, to actually minimize noise...thinking of mom as I did it...missing her...thinking of her. Being scared about how I will do this without her.

And then it was done. And with a step back to look at the crib in its setting I pictured her approving smile and her excited squinty smile over her grandchild's crib.

Nick

So Sad......

Your Mom is watching over you and your family.....

You have a new life coming into the world. There is nothing like it. You can't even explain it until it happens.....your Mom would be so proud. I am so sorry she is not there with you....

Dar

You did it! None of this is easy, but you keep doing it. You were blessed to learn so many lessons from your mom, and you will pass those on to your little one as well.

I had a very hard time at the baby shower for my brother's first little one. Fortunately, a couple of Mom's best friends came. It helped me so much to see a part of her represented there...someone I could hug who would hug us back.

You are doing a great job. She is proud of you.

Kelly

(((Nick)))

I pray that when you look in your beautiful baby's eyes, you will see a part of your mom. She would want you to be excited. She would want you to feel all the joy a new baby brings. And she will know that the love she gave you will help you be a wonderful father.

She's so proud already!

Nick

Your mother's strength and wisdom show through in every post you make. I am constantly in awe of how strong you are and how well you articulate your feelings. I don't post much in response as I never know really what to say and usually I try to reply and it sounds all wrong so I delete it.

This post however struck a chord with me and I had to say, I am proud of you.. Your mother is, too and I am sure she is with you every moment of every day and smiling down on you.

It is not easy, but Nick you are doing a wonderful job navigating this grief journey.... (((Nick)))

Warmly

Christine

Thanks all, I'm glad you all got it.

I've never taken a lot of comfort in the "words" 'she's here in spirit'.

And it's because that isn't a comfort for me, that I found this particular time to be so profound.

I really kind of felt not alone in the silence. So for anyone who feels like me, and many of you do, I really did feel her with me. So maybe just maybe, we really aren't as far from them as we feel.

And that's exactly why I wanted to share.

Your mom was so fortunate to have such a loving son as you have been!!

You were not alone in your silence, she watch you and was smiling down upon you.

She is with you, remember the blue flower?

Maryanne :wink:

Wow, Nick, I had to wipe away some tears after reading that....

You did it, though. You laid another stone in the path leading to parenthood, to bringing this beautiful baby into the world. And you did with your mom there. Because after reading your story, I believe she WAS there.

I just don't know what else to say. I was so moved by your post...

Nick,

Your beautiful mother did a wonderful job raising and molding you into such a thoughtful and loving young man. I have no doubts that your mother was/is with you and your wife every step of the way in this process. I know that the pain of not having her here in person to shine in the happiness and blessings of this occassion might diminish the joy, but I do believe that your mother is with you in spirit and looking down with great pride. I think you are going to make an incredible father.