Update on my sister Kelly

cat127

Well unfortunately today did not go as we had hoped. I knew the minute I saw the surgeon at the waiting room door, it was too soon. When he launched into a short dissertation on the anatomy of the left lung, I was certain. The tumor was not able to be removed with just the upper lobe, there was some invasion into the lower lobe. And he would not do a pneumonectomy. Difficult news to hear for sure, especially given how difficult the decision was for Kelly to come to. But we had to try and get the tumor. I hope she doesn't regret having tried, because it was just something we had to try and do. Now, back to the oncologist and time for plan B. This is one of the many things I hate about cancer. The way it throws things in the road that make you have to stop and change direction. But change direction we will and we will keep on fighting. Still several drugs in the arsenal to try!

Thank you all for all the kind thoughts, prayers, encouragement and support you are giving Kelly! She's a bit new at the message board concept and it was a big step for her to come on and talk to folks. Maybe she'll talk more once she's home.

Oh Cat - I am so sorry to hear this news. I know how difficult this decision was for her and I am sorry that the surgery couldn't proceed.

She is so very lucky to have you on her side - you are optimistic and yet balanced in your approach.

The prayers will continue that Plan B is the magic bullet!

Linda

Sorry the surgery was a no-go. Hopefully now the docs have enough first hand info to know how to approach this better. I know you all must so very disappointed. I think you just had to go for this though. And now there will be no second guessing that MAYBE surgery should have been the route to go. Hope Kelly is feeling better soon. Tell her we're all asking about her and hoping for the best.

Kasey

So sorry Cat, this is very depressing news but at least she is still a candidate for surgery and that way they can try to get it all.

Let her know that many people on here would trade places with her in a heartbeat if they could have surgery even if it meant losing a whole lung.

They thought Joel would lose his lung and we accepted that but when they went in they were actually able to just do a lobe. We were so relieved by that. Unfortunately, they had to operate the following year on his good lung to do a wedge section. There was no hesitation on his part he just wanted it out. PERIOD!

So what I am saying is there is always that uncertainty how much will be lost but it is what it is and we have to do what we have to do. Understand?

There are so many one lungers here who are doing just fine.

You are such a wonderful brother and such a positive influence on her. Tell her to NEVER GIVE UP!! Keep a fighting spirit that is the only way to win.

Have faith....It doesn't get you around trouble.. it gets you through it.

Maryanne

Kim~

Remember, I too was "on the table" when they said surgery was no longer an option. You lose it, then you press on! See my Happy Dance Post, 6 mo. later I am in remission! Pleaseeeeeeee send Kelly my best and I hope she can get home soon to get back here so we can tell her how proud we are of her. PS you too!

Mary~

Thank you all! I spent nearly all day in the hospital with Kelly. Her mood was actually pretty good. I heard her tell a friend, well I'll just have to be one of those people that wows them with how well I do on one of these drugs. Her oncologist came by, and we do really love him. But he sat on her bed while she was in the chair and just said "well this was a little disappointing". Kelly said to him "oh it's way more than a little disappointing". He just smiled. The king of the understatement, I called him. He looked at me and said "so he wasn't willing to just go for it?". I told him no, and explained exactly why and he was OK with that. He and I talked a bit about the possible options and then he said to Kel, well you have a few weeks to think about it, take time to heal, then you can come in and we can make plans.

It's just so hard to see her in so much pain for what really is nothing. Though you are right Katie, we all just said "you had to try Kel, you had to give it a try or you would always have wondered what if". And she totally feels that way too. Though I think she'll feel it more when the chest tube, catheter and epidural come out. :)

I told her how many folks were passing on their well wishes and good thoughts and she asked me to thank you all!

We have not talked to the cyberknife folks but I asked Kelly if she would like to at least go and talk to them and she said yes. So once she is out of the hospital and healing a bit more, I'm going to set up an appt as there is one in town. Not sure if she won't be very close to the max radiation that the field can take, but can't hurt to talk to them.

Just found out that our niece, who is a nurse at the hospital where Kelly is, managed to get her moved to a private room. :) Good to have some connections.

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment. I am also IIIB and just posted today asking for some info on surgery. So just by doing that you and your sister should know that you helped someone. I've got an appt booked with a surgeon to explore any options I may or may not have. And am awaiting results from post treatment CT scans.

I wanted to tell you that I have been offered a clinical trial assuming radiation and chemotherapy have had some positive impact. It's called the liposome vaccine. Very little risk and if I need to stop to go on something else then that can be done at any time.

The trial has been in Canada with a small sample size (a little over 200) and is now being done worldwide. If you would like some more information on this trial let me know and I can send it to you.

My prayers for a speedy recovery for your sister. You must be an awesome brother.

Hi Cat; I think the cyberknife people will be able to help your sister. If the tumor is less than 4 cm and there is no lymph node activity, she should be ok. I had a 7 cm tumor with my ck and they could not give me the full strength dose. We were hoping to just get stability or shrinkage and not get collateral damage. I got pneumonitis anyway. It is still unclear if the ck is affecting my tumor, but it probably did not stop it. My tumor is an unusual one in that it resists treatment at every step. I am sure you sister would have very good results.

Don M

Hey there. She's home and recovering slowly. Sort of bites that she's going through all the pain and recovery but without the actual lobectomy. But her spirits are good and she's ready for the next step. Which reminds me I should call the oncologist and make an appt with him for the same day that she has a follow-up with the radiation oncologist. The med onc was in several times at the hospital so he and I have already talked a bit about what the next move should be. The rad onc stopped in specifically on his day off to see her because my niece and I ran into him at a pub and told him she was in there. He is such a nice guy and just wanted to stop and tell Kelly to keep fighting and that he felt confident she'd respond well to whatever treatment we started.

Thanks for asking! :)