Update on my Buddy

norme

Buddy had his first chemo onc visit today since the colon operation. He is to weak right now to go through any treatments. When one is so weak, the chemo can do more harm then good per the doctor, so I will try and get him a little stronger to be able to start treatments hopefully in two weeks. If by then he is not any stronger, we talked about Iressa and the dr said that would be a good possibility. We will just have to wait and see. He said if he starts chemo, it will have to be light doses at the beginning to see if he can tolorate it again.

Buddy seems to be sleeping most of the day anymore. Yesterday I know he was only awake about 2 hours. I am sure some of it is the pain meds that he started taking but the onc said that some of the sleeping was also the cancer for he has active cancer in his body in the liver and the colon. Per the chemo onc, one needs to be awake and somewhat active for at lest 50% of the day for chemo to do good for that person.

Another thing of interest which is not good for Buddy but is for most others, is that, per the chemo onc, Buddy's body is not reacting to the scans or pet tests because they are not picking up the cancer in him. He said that it will be hard to try and figure out if any chemo is working on him because of the past tests not showing cancer in some areas of his body such as the liver, bone, colon, etc and it was there all along. He said that this only happens in about 10% of people and they have no idea of why.. So giving him more chemo and not knowing what it is doing will be a BIG problem as evidently it had been without us knowing it in the past. Remember how some scans showed liver mets and others did not and the same for bone and colon. This is really a horrible problem for my Buddy. They won't be able to track the chemo to the cancer as to whether it is working or not if he is able to take anymore.

Oh my, that roller coaster is back....

Norme,

My heart goes out toyou and Buddy. I am so sorry he is too weak for the chemo and if he takes it you won't know the results by scanning. Norme, if he will take it, check with the onc or local chapter of Am. Cancer Society about getting Boost for him. It comes in several flavors and you can partially freeze it and make it like a slush. It is free from ACS.

You know you have been in my prayers and certainly will stay there. May God Bless you both and your family. This is such a hard time of year.

God Bless

BLT

Hello, Norme,

It's good to see you posting again. I wanted to let you know that some forms of Adenocarcinoma are very slow growing (Bronchioloalveolar Carcinoma AKA BAC is usuallylike that), and because those tumors are metabolically "slow" sometimes they don't show up very well on PET Scanning. Another choice for testing tumors that are not picked up well using PET technology is a nuclear med procedure called NEOTECT scanning. The injection is radioactive, but doesn't involve glucose, and the machine they use to do the scan is the same one they use for VQ scanning, so they're pretty common machines in most large hospitals.

I am sending you and Buddy my prayers, and hoping that Buddy is able to build up his strength over the next few weeks, and most of all that the two of you have a good Christmas together.

Much Affection to two of my heroes...

Fay A.

Norme,

My prayers are with you and Buddy not only now but have been for months. I do hope you are able to spend the time you need with Buddy and that he is able to respond in a positive manner to both you and the treatments.

You are in my thoughts. And like Fay stated.... you are hero's to so many.

I wish you enough,

Much love,

Shirley

Oh Norme, big hugs to you! I am on that horrible horrible roller coaster ride right now too. I pray that Buddy regains some strength and is able to resume treatment or hopefully the Iressa brings him much success. I will be thinking of you both. Blessings to you both during the holiday season.

Norme;

I'll be praying for you and buddy, Enjoy the holiday!, your also one of my hero's.

I do like BLT's suggestion of the boost for him and the walk that you were talking about. Gotta get the strength back.

be praying for ya!

God bless!!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Norme-

Your strength and common sense always amaze me, even in the face of the most dire situations. I'll be praying for the very best possible outcome for Buddy and that you two have a blessed Christmas together. Your love, warmth, and down-to-earth outlook are inspirations to the rest of us. Blessings.

Norme, I'm sorry to hear that your Buddy is not doing too well. Tim is in the same boat, too weak to have regular chemo and was spending all his time in bed. He started on Iressa about 6 weeks ago and within a week I could tell it was doing him some good. We were able to go on a weeks vacation in Southern California to see the kids and our granddaughter.

So don't give up hope. Know that we are all praying for you and Buddy all the time with the hope that he can get stronger. Also praying for you to have a good holiday and enjoy each other.

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful support you are showing to Buddy and me. You are all my hero's.

I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.

Remember that little Guy's birthday is tomorrow. That is what is so great about Christmas for all of us.

Much Love to all.

Norme I am so sorry!! I don't know what else to say, except my prayers are with you guys constantly!!! I haven't been on here for a while, but when I saw your post I had to tell you I'm thinking of you.

Love Always!

Christy

(((((((((((Norme)))))))))

Sorry to hear Buddy is feeling pretty wiped out. I hope he starts to perk up soon.

The neat thing about this community is when we can, we give, and when we need, the strength is there from loving community members to prop us up and keep us going. You have given so much to so many, Norme....

I hope there is someway somehow to keep on top of the chemo's efficacy, and that Buddy is soon well enough to take whatever he needs to take.

I pray that you both enjoy the blessings of this holiday season, and please know that our prayers and love are with you both.

XOXOX

MaryAnn