Wanted to let you know I lost my Dad

Kristi

I got a call from Mom last Wednesday night around 8:30 pm saying that Dad's lung had hemorrhaged and was on his way to the hospital. She sounded so calm so but when I asked her how serious that way she said "serious" and her voice cracked a tiny bit. I knew in my gut right then he wouldn't make it. She asked me to call my sisters and tell them to get to the hospital ASAP. Of course I was here in Texas and couldn't make it. Around 10:30 I got the call from my sister that he was gone.

He had been on the front porch getting ready to smoke his pipe (had it loaded and everything) when Mom said he yelled at her to bring him a paper towel so she grabbed one but when she saw how much blood was coming out of his mouth she grabbed the whole roll. He headed into the house and collasped just a few steps in. Mom called 911 and my brother who was just a few minutes away. They live in the country so it took an eternity to get there but my brother did CPR on him until they got there. Bless my brother's heart to have to go through that. Mom said it was just terrible but I truly believe that he passed from their arms right into heaven and didn't suffer. Mom said the loss of blood made him unconscious almost immediately.

My brother rode to the hospital with him. They were all there and able to see him after everything and said he was just so peaceful and looked so relieved. My sisters stayed with Dad until around 2:00 am when the funeral home picked him up. Me, my husband and the kids drove up the next morning to make funeral arrangements. How awful to bury a parent. There is truly nothing like it.

I am just heartbroken over this. He was doing so well. His hair had started to grow back after the chemo and he was so proud of that. I think I'm still in shock. The funeral was just amazing. We put together a slideshow of pictures of him throughout his life. It was beautiful!! My sisters and I each wrote a tribute to Dad and read it at the funeral. We were just all bawling our heads off but we got through it by the grace of God. Hardest thing I've ever had to do!

We buried him in the old cemetary down by the river where he used to fish and took my boys fishing. He always told us he wanted to be buried so that's where he is. We drove back home Tuesday and it was just so hard to leave. Mom is doing okay, so sad but will make it. They would have been married 50 years in January. Bless her heart!!

Please pray for my family to get through this. It's just so hard.

Finally, thank you to those of you here that replied to me so many times when I was worried about Dad. I'll never forget your honesty and compassion. I'll try to check in from time to time to see how you and your loved ones are doing. Take care!

Oh Kristi, I am so very sorry. It sounds like your family gave him a beautiful tribute and that he truly now is at peace and comforted.

I know how hard it is to go through this. I same saying prayers for you, your mom and whole family that God grant you comfort during this difficult times.

Come back if you need to talk, vent, remember and grieve. I found that after losing my husband, one of the things that helped me the most was coming online and sharing with others all the things that made him wonderful, all the funny memories and reasons he was special. It helped me feel like him and his memory was living on. There are many of us here who not only come to support those living with, and surviving cancer, but those of us who need the friendship and support after losing the ones we love to cancer. Please come back and post and tell us more about your wonderful dad.

God Bless you!

My thoughts Prayers and Condolences.. and yes we are a great Grief support group here!!! If Ya need us let us know. I can not imagine losing a parent. I am glad your dad was at peace and is in a wonderful resting place!

Kristi,

Your Dad had his loving family around him, with his son giving him CPR. Please know that you have our deep sympathy and offer our condolences to you and your family.

Years ago, when my husband Bill was just in his twenties, he received a call that his Dad had collapsed at early Mass on New Year's Day. It was his heart.

Bill ran over there on foot, and gave his father mouth-to-mouth. His father's blue eyes told Bill that he was gone. As with your Dad, his passing was painless.

Bill has never forgotten that moment in all of these years.

Please come back, and tell us how you are all doing.

Barbara

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...