Could you spare a prayer, please?

Sam'swifeShirley

Hi everyone,

It is less than 24 hours before the start of the Cancer For Life Relay and I am feeling uneasy and I am not sure why. Maybe I am not ready for the crowds yet.

While there have only been a few minor complications, things seem to be falling into place. Tomorrow morning my friend, Sherrill and I will take two trucks loaded with our tent decorations to the fair and others will be over throughout the day with more. I could not have done this in such a short period of time without Sherrill and another friend, Cathy. Their creativity and energy have made my participation possible.

KatieB sent me her LCSC banner and it will be proudly hung in the tent. There will also be two easels with the lc members pictures displayed on foam boards. One will be in honor of and one will be in memory of. I printed the mission statement from the lchelp.com site and plan to have "something" there for LCSC donations. I had several facts enlarged such as the amount of funding lung cancer gets compared to others and the recent Jama article regarding lung cancer as the leading cause of death in women. We decided to put this on black foam board since they are such morbid facts. I have some just general facts for the American Cancer Society for hand outs, also. I will take pictures of everything and maybe Rick can put them up on the board.

Thank to each of you for being such an inspiration for me these past months. You and Sam are the reason I want to participate in and will be able to get through the event. There are some songs scheduled to be performed that I am sure will bring a tear and I think how wonderful it would have been if Sam and all of you could have been in the survivor walk.

Would you please say a little or what the heck, a big prayer for me for tomorow tonight?

By the way, I am hoping for a total donation count of close to $2000 for the American Cancer Society. I guess that is okay for collecting for just over a week.

May God Bless Us All.

Sam'swifeShirley

Dear Shirley,

I will definately say a prayer or two for you.. You are doing a wonderful thing and Sam will be there with you every step of the way.. I know God will give you the emotional strength to do this, just ask...Cant wait to see the pictures..

It looks like you're going to have great weather here in Atlanta for your Relay - hooray!! I'll be sure to say a prayer for you, if you'll say one for us next weekend when our family participates in the Relay down in our hometown in middle Georgia.

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Shirly!!! Good job! $2,000 in one week! That's terrific! I know you will do well. When I went to the Relay last year, I didn't anticipate the emotion that comes with it. It hurst because you are faced with talking about cancer but it feels good because there is such a warmth and support there. You are surrounded by so many people that understand. It's wierd, I can hold myself together pretty much right now in front of other people, but when I went to the American Cancer Society yesterday to get brochures etc for the Relay, I met with this woman who was a breast cancer survivor. When I told her about my mom, she just put her hand on my shoulder and I could see the understanding of the pain cancer causes in her eyes and my tears just flowed and I let all the pain and hurt I feel come out. She welcomed it and told me to keep crying and get it out. She just sat there and kept her hand on my shoulder as she talked. There I was trying to be professional as my work is sponsering the lumanaria ceremony, but there I am so uncomposed...but I felt the comfort of being with someone who understands cancer and I didn't care because she wasn't judging me. There's something just so great about that.

Dear Shirley,

Thank you for doing so much for lung cancer, and this group.

I want to especially thank you for sticking with us. It tells me the bonds we forge don't dissolve when da**ned beast wins. And to me that means an awful lot.

Prayers for success and good weather.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn