It's all in how you look at it...

Fay A.

The good news is the subcarinal lymph node and soft tissue mass on the bronchial stump (it's official....they are not the same mass) have not grown any larger. The good news is that the new soft tissue mass on the outside of the left lung is very close to the mediastinum, as is the new paratracheal nodes, so when I start radiation to those spots they can all be zapped together. The good news is I can have radiation treatment and still qualify for the ABT 751 Clinical Trial. Won't have radiation sensitizing chemotherapy, though. Seems that another chemo at this time may preclude me participating in a clinical trial.

There are facts that can be twisted and turned into what ever you want them to be. I choose to have it be good news more often than not. I'm not trying to kid myself. The disease is progressing, but it hasn't killed me yet, so if it's all the same to others I think I shall just keep on living until it-or something else-does. This isn't about being inspirational. It's about being given a gift....LIFE.....and not wasting what I have now by spending it in sadness over what I may or may not have tomorrow.

Fay,

I feel like there are multiple layers here that I can't scratch my way through, so I won't even try. But, what I can see is that you have a great attitude about life, you attempt to live it well, and you are grateful for each and every day that God gives you. Whatever all of our test results say or mean, that is the most important thing. Here's one friend that holds you in the highest regard.

God bless you, Fay,

Peggy

That's our FAY, just being positive and going on with life as she has learned to live with it. YOU ROCK GIRL! :wink: It all makes perfect sense to me! So, we move on to chapter ?????? Hey, what chapter are you ON?

Well, happy day! It's a GOOD DAY TO BE ALIVE! And it's a GOOD DAY for FAY!! We still have options! I like that!

(((((((((FAY)))))))))))

Fay

I recently attended a seminar given by a long-term cancer survivor, who talked a great deal about the importance of 'living in the moment'. I have found this to be easier to achieve than 'thinking positive' or 'being optomistic' all the time. I get the feeling that this is what you are talking about. Simply enjoying the moments as they come, because that is all any of us really have. Easier said than done sometimes, but in reality, it's the only way to live.

Thank you for the wisdom you always bring to this board.

Wishing you many happy moments, one after the other.

Karen

Dear Fay:

I think I'm trying to be YOU when I finish growing up!! :wink::D

Seriously, your attitude really is an inspiration for how to live....with or without cancer. There is some wise adage about how, if we spend too much time living either in the past OR the future.....we miss the NOW....which is called "the present" because it IS a GIFT!!

I kind of butchered that quote...but I know you know exactly what I mean.

Sometimes what comes our way, appears,on the surface, to be negative or an obstacle of sorts. But that needn't mean it will "ruin" the rest of our days....including THIS one!!

Life, if one cares to look at it this way, is a series of challenges, tests, problems to solve, obstacles to overcome. The "trick" is in finding ways to laugh, enjoy and smile our way through it all....keeping in mind that this ain't no rehearsal...this is "the show"!

Having said this....I just reached up to scratch my head and guess what I came away with? A handful of hair!!! :shock: In dog terms....I guess I'm starting to blow coat....ie: shed! 8) This is the 16th day from the start of my first chemo...so I'm right about on time.

Okay...next challenge for me....getting everyone together who will be part of the the "Shearing of the Lamb" party we're going to have where everyone gets a turn at shaving my head and taking pictures!

Hey...if I gotta go bald, might as well make it a party, huh? :wink:

Thanks Fay....for reminding me to smile and be positive every day...no matter whether my hair is falling into my keyboard!! :roll:

Fay,

I am in total agreement with you. It does not do you or anyone around you any good to focus on the negative. It is an attitude like yours that keeps you enjoying life. It makes the battle well worth it.

Keep it up. John

Hey Fay! I agree with you, if there is a positive way to look at any of this then DO IT!

If we believed the neg, most of us would have been dead 6 months after our diagnosis. (I think that is what most Dr say???) Glad we did not listen to them

Love ya! Keep smiling, Cindy

Hello Fay!

You are a real trooper. You've been fighting this for five years and still going strong. Your positive attitude has probably helped alot. I admire you. I try not to dwell on things that might go wrong in the future and enjoy the day! God bless you and I hope they can keep helping you!

Hugs and prayers!

Sharon

Fay,

Yes, the gift of life in which we can all participate and cherish. When I was first diagnosed, my feeling was that I probably wouldn't live to actually get back home (a 5 minute trip). So my attitude is that these two years plus have been found time...time I never thought I would have. And in that time, I have been blessed with people like you on this board...people who touch me every day. Thank you for sharing your feelings for us all to be glad about. I pray your radiation goes well and the clinical trial's result is what we all hope for you.

Peace,

Margaret

Dear Fay,

Wow! You have the best attitude about everything I have ever seen. I admire you and know in my heart that what you say and feel are the blue prints of life I need to follow. I do better now than I did when dx'd but I still dread the test times etc. You encourage me to live for the moment and not worry about the future as much as I did. Don't get me wrong, I still plan things and look forward to things...but I know that today it really all I can count on. This moment is all we have. Thanks for sharing your "good" news and the best of luck with the radiation. I think of you often and as usual, you are in my prayers.

Nina

Fay,

I was having similar thoughts tonight. Tommorrow is my first chemotherapy session. I spent the day running around at work and watching my son play baseball. All day I kept wondering how I could feel so good yet need to take this medicine that may change the quality of my life over the next couple weeks and longer. Obviously, the anxiety level was increasing.

Tonight, I found the good news also. The good news is that I had two wonderful school years with my son where I volunteer, run and play. The good news is that I have a doctor that values the quality of life and health as much as I do. The good news is tomorrow I will start a medicine that is harsh but is not as bad as the disease is that is lurking around.

Thank you for your post. We need to be remind of the silver linings that life has for us.

Maureen