My sisters surgery went ok

shelliemacs

The surgeon was only in there about 45 minutes with her but he said he removed pretty much the size of a mans fist from her left breast. He will not know if they got all the "in-situ" until next tuesday or wednesday. She is "uneven" now up top and she will need some sort of reconstructive surgery one way or the other.

If they did not get it all and there is still more cancer, then next week they will just go ahead and do the mastectomy. They will need to get the surgeon and a plastic surgeon to coordinate a same day surgery so thats what we have to work out.

she cried allot from probably a combination of fear and pain. she is on morphine now and they are sending her home with ultracet.

she was intubated so she is only whispering. She begged us to not let them hurt her anymore and I feel like such a crap head because I can't promise her that. I kept telling her that she has to dig way down deep and fight for her kids, they are young and need there mom. She is all they have and they just lost both grandparents and really need her to take this year of hell (surgery, chemo and radiation) so she can see them grow up and become wonderful adults.

Thank you all for the prayers, well wishes and good vibes.

especially you....well you know who.

shelly

hi shelly,

my prayers are with you and your sister. she certainly has a lot to live for, and your being there is a great big plus. i know that your family has suffered so much during the past few years. i can't even put into words how sorry i am and how much i feel for you. i know that none of us can really empathize fully with what you are going through, but know that you are in my prayers and thoughts. i admire you so much. i know that your sister is so scared right now. i pray for her restored health and happiness, and my well wishes are with you and her children too.

God bless you,

mj

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Shelly, I think she knows you can't promise. She just had to say her fears out loud. Somes people just need to do that even when they know they're asking for the impossible.

I will pray much for both of you. I promise.

Cat

Shelly,

Thanks for the report.....I sure do hope this surgery nightmare ends soon for your sister--she's gone above and beyond the call, that's for sure. You have too, you know, and I am hoping for you and your family that things look up from here on out. I think you are right to tell your sister that she needs to go through this so she can live, for her kids, and for herself and for her too. From one who's been there already with the breast cancer thing, this looks so much different when you're looking at it in the rear view mirror. For me it's 3 plus years now, and every day that goes by gets better. Hang in there with her, you're a great sister, and I wish you both all good things....Keep us posted.

Cindy

So glad your sister's surgery went okay. Hopefully she won't have to have that mastectomy, but if she does, tell her to make the most of it. We have a first cousin who had a double radical mastectomy a few years ago, and she decided to get them to go ahead and do a tummy tuck AND the breast reconstruction while they were in there! So now, she's a few years older, but has bigger boobs, a flatter belly - and best of all - NO CANCER!!

Blessings,

TeeTaa

Shelly

I have been thinking of you and your sister a lot. You have both been in my prayers. I hope and pray that there is no more surgery in her near future. I pray that ALL of the cancer was removed.

You are a great sister Shelly. Your sis is lucky to have you right now.

When I get finished "tarring and feathering" Dad's doctor and get his scans done, I'm going to try to call you.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Dear Shelly,

I am sure your Sister is emotional now but she will be alright. My Sister went through the bc thing too and is a year out now. As everyone has said She has a great Sister!! Always support eachother and love eachother and you two are going to be just fine!! Call it what you will but it is just the feeling I get. In my prayers always.

God Bless You Both,

Jane

That was good advice you gave your sister Shelly. All you can do is stick by her and lend support. You would be a welcomed adition to anyone's bedside in these kind of situations. And your sister appreciates it greatly - that's why she expresses herself to you the way she does -- she knows you're there to help. Hope everything goes well. Take care Shelly.

David p.

I was glued at the hip to my sister after my breast cancers. She even interviewed oncologists for me--I just couldn't do it myself.

I still am quite willing to talk to her. I cannot tell you the strangers who were survivors who helped me.

and let us be there for you. You are holding her up--let us support you.

gail

Shelly,

Thinking of you and your sister. I know that you are an essential ingredient for her recovery. And while I hope that a masectomy isn't necessary, it's good that they can discover everything now and act in time -- not like the bad old days when it was by guess and by gosh. I second the advice to encourage her both to keep on with the pain meds AND get ativan or xanax -- that can make ALL the difference.

Ellen

Shelly,

So glad your sister's surgery went well, and that she has you there to support her. You're a strong woman and hopefully some of your strength will pass to her. She's scared and tired and in pain right now....

I don't mean to be redundant, but I agree with the others regarding her pain meds and some anti-anxiety medication....it DOES help.

Wishing you both all the best,

Mary

Shelly,

Really sorry this is such a late post. Hopefully your sister is feeling a little better both physically and emotionally right now.

I give you both so much credit, to have gone through what you have with your Mom and Dad and now this is way too much to have to handle especially in such a short time.

Shelly, God must have created a very special person when he created you. You must be a strong and nurturing person who loves deeply.

Hope all your sister's news is good.

Love,