Not impressed with stable.

-Cheryl-

Well folks, got my CT scans just now. I spoke to a nurse, who had a doctor review them. I wish that I could talk to the doctor, but its 4:00 p.m. Friday, and Monday is memorial day. The results showed that my plueral effusions are all gone now, but a small soft tissue mass is present, along with the nodules. I need to have one of the doctors compare the scans to the ones taken before this trial. The attending physician said he doesn't think that the mass is new, only visible since the effusions have gone away. The kidney mets are smaller. So all in all, mostlty stable is the key word here. I have my third dose of carboplatin and paclitaxol next Thursday. My blood count is low, with my white blood cell count only being 431. I can't go out in public. I am feeling a bit defeated, and no doubt plain tired. Please, anybody experience more change in continued chemo and scans. I am trying hard to stay optimistic. Plus my period is spotting. I didn't stop that or lose hair with this chemo so far. I pray it works.

Cheryl

These weekend situations waiting for reliable results are just horrible. I read your post a couple times and sort of highlighted on the stable and even improving conditions you noted and less on the questionable. Hopefully you can change your focus to the good stuff for the time you have to wait for your regular doctor to get back.

You noted that your white blood counts are 431. We must be using different scales. I'm anemic too and my whites were running around 3.2 - 3.6 against a scale where "normal" is 4.0 - 10.5. I've got them pumped back up to over 4.0 after a long series of Epogen injections. Not a whole lot of ambition heading into a three day weekend , huh? It actually looks like a good time to get rested up. I know I did last year and I won't be doing a whole bunch this year either.

Best wishes on your results and enjoy the long weekend.

Stable is not bad news. Although, we want to hear that this chemo has removed all traces of cancer from your body. Maybe it is just too soon. I'm praying that the next scan will show MUCH improvement. I hate that you are under "house arrest" right now. I think of you often. Better days are ahead.........just wait and see. Love to you!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Hi Guys,

You all are so right. After reading my post, I realized how easily discouraged I can become. Trust me, hearing "you're mostly stable." That took me a little off guard, and it was a nurse, not the doctor reading me the results. The questionable spot in my lung "may or may not be new?" I hate waiting for results. I am quite impatient. I hate scan time !!! Thanks for your encouragement and support. You guys keep me going.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I think everything about this disease can be depressing and even stable knocks us down when we hear it because, after all the treatment and all the prayers, NED is what we really want to hear. I think your reaction today was totally normal, and then to add fuel to the fire, you had to get this "unclear" news on a holiday weekend.

The important thing, of course, is just like everyone else has said, as soon as you realize that stable means life can and will go on, all of a sudden it sounds a lot better and the depression disappears. I see that in you repeatedly. You get knocked on your hiney, but in less than 24 hrs., you are coming back at this horrible disease fighting like a mama bear protecting her cubs.

I do wish there was something I could say to make this weekend go faster for you. The waiting is the hardest for me, and believe it or not, right this minute, in my physical body, I can feel tension just thinking about you having to wait until Tuesday - that's how closely I can relate to the waiting for results. Other than deep breathing and relaxing your shoulders, getting engrossed in good movies or novels or crossword puzzles, or whatever it is that you know will consume your mind, there is just no easy way to get through the waiting period. My husband is as relaxed as wilted lettuce waiting for results, and he's the one with the cancer. He always says, "It's gonna be what it's gonna be, so there's no reason to sweat it." IT MAKES ME CRAZY!! :lol::lol::lol:

Love,

Peggy

Cheryl, I would not focus on the mass now visible in your lung, but on the fact that the pleural effusions are gone.

I hate to say this, but it seems to me that so many of the "younger" LC patients on this board that we've lost, had that problem - the tumors they could defeat o even live with, but the pleural effusions were trouble. so you got rid of those. I think that's not a small victory, but a big one!

hang in there, sounds like you're getting your chin up already.

God Bless,

Karen

Cheryl,

I know its the pits to not have all the answers that you want..especially on a holiday weekend. I have heard from all of these nice folks over and over that stable is good. I think the main thing is none of us likes having this monster in our bodies to start with and want it gone for good. I pray that this new trial will give you those results soon. As for now...stable is GOOD.

Nina

Cheryl, I hope it is that you feel tired from the chemo, stable is good, and you say you are not even finished with the chemo, It will continue to do more good work. Hope you are getting good night sleeps. Donna G

(((Cheryl)))

I know it is hard to be optimistic when you are so darn tired from the toxins they are pumping into you. You dont say what your red blood count is, and that is the one that is involved with all the fatigue. Just rest sweetie, they are feeding you hefty doses of poison. And take my word for it stable is good! Hugs and prayers coming your way sweetie!

And a hug for Jack too he takes such good loving care of you!

Blessings

Betty

Cheryl,

Oh, how I ( and a lot of others) can sympathize with having to wait over long weekends for definitive results!! Scan time is the worst for me, too....impatient doesn't even begin to describe how I feel then (my next is scheduled 9/13 and I'm already obsessing).

"Stable" is a wonderful word in the language of LC....the chemo and resulting low blood counts and fatigue are just contributing to your anxiety re: hearing from your reg doc after this weekend.

Keep the faith....good thoughts going out to you and Jack...

Mary

I don't realize how tired I am till I stop. It is my new norm. Ha! Then I crash and sleep. I catch up on my rest on the weekends. I forgot what my iron is- just low. I took a shot of aranesp to boost it. The doctor called me in a script of Cipro also, to rid any possible germs that may take advantage of my compromised immune system. I am going stir crazy this long weekend! Cheryl

I can imagine Cheryl! You are not only on a new chemo but a trial combination to boot. Add that to the recent hospitalization AND surgery piled on to all of that stress with the news that you recently had to get -- with low blood levels and a stressful schedule and exhastion is not a strong enough word. :cry: Try to give yourself a big break this weekend emotionally and physically. Also please try to visualize the stability as a great big huge brick wall that your body has put up against the cancer so it can no longer attack. You now have the advantage. You and your onc can use it. Rest and gain your strength this weekend. Visualize yourself advancing against that now immobilized and helpless cancer.

Cheryl,

You must hate being stuck at home this weekend!!!! I feel bad for you. But, hey stable is not a bad thing at all. I hope that this chemo does it's trick for you and keeps you that way for a long, long time. Feel better, and eat some good food to try to get that energy level up and the rest of the counts stable. Also, rest while you can. Take care and keep us posted.

Cindy

Hope you're feeling better today.

Had to let you know, Cheryl - when I first saw your post, for some reason "stable" immediately brought to mind the "horse house" kind of stable. I had this image of you taking a trip with your horse and not liking the accomodations. :D

I pray that you WILL have such a problem. Hope that makes you smile today.