The PET scan results stink

stand4hope

Well, we have one out of 3 test results in - the PET scan. You've probably seen my questions about part of it, so I'll give you the results and then let you know how the echocardiogram, CT and onc visit go next week when we get a plan of attack.

In the spine, there are 7 lesions, one at T12, T10, T8 (2 separate lesions in T8 ), T2, L5 and S1; the largest is 3 x 2 cm, and the others are all about 1.5 to 2 cm. The right side has a large lesion in the iliac crest, a 2 cm lesion in the femur, and a 1 cm lesion in the pubic bone. The left side has a very large 6 cm. lesion in the iliac crest, extensive uptake in the entire acetabullum, and 2 large lesions in the femur (about 4 cm each). He has three 2 to 3 cm. lesions in the sacrum.

There is a 3 cm lesion in the right chest wall, one small one in the "right chest" (whatever that means). There is a 2 cm lesion in the manibrium, and 1 cm. in the left axilla lymph node.

The most upsetting is a 4 cm. lesion in the liver that is a new finding. He did have a teeny tiny met there, but it was so tiny 2 mos. ago that it didn't even show uptake on the PET scan, but it did show up on the CT and was probably only about 5 mm. in March.

Even with all of that, he still only has mild discomfort in the left hip, the area of the iliac lesion. So, I don't know if they will radiate or wait until it gets worse. In any case, because of the 4 cm liver lesion, we're pretty sure it will mean no more Tarceva, and he will be offered Alimta, which is the only other option available.

Like I said, we get the other two tests next week, but he doesn't get his brain scan until July. I don't even want to know what that one has to say. Actually, I don't want to know what any of them have to say anymore.

I know you will all get on my back about saying this, but I wasn't going to give you any results. I know that his story has been an inspiration to so many of you, and I just can't even believe that I am now having to come here and tell you that he is having all this progression, going on medical leave, etc. I'm used to telling you all how good things are going and how active he's been, and encouraging you with his good reports. It just breaks my heart to the core to think that this news will discourage ANY OF YOU!!!

But, nevertheless, I know we all have to learn to take the good with the bad, so there it is. I wish I could continue to use him as the "good example" to give you all hope, but I'm afraid that hope for him has faded a bit and there's no sense in me trying to hide it.

Don't worry - I'm not giving up hope. I really do "stand4hope", so I've got hope. But you want to know what really ticks me off? There is no trace of any cancer at all in his entire left lung, and that's where this whole thing started. They were able to wipe out a 7 cm. tumor and 4 brain mets, but because this sh*@ had gotten into his blood stream . . . oh well. I quit. I've said enough.

Good night and love to you all,

Peggy

Hi Peggy

So sorry to read this news....as you know, we are going through a similar situation here, so know just how you are feeling.

Don't know what else to say....if hubby is done with Tarceva, then I hope that Alimta is able to keep the mets at bay.

Thinking of you and your family - hang in there!!

Love Karen

Peggy, I am so sorry to read the test results. I can only imagine how disheartened you must both have felt with them. I don't know what else to say, as I am not doing a great job of things myself at the moment, but know that I am thinking of you. Everything about this disease sucks.

Jana

xxx

Peggy,

Sorry to hear the Tarceva isn't doing the trick. I recall back a few weeks they were considering Alimta if Tarceva didn't work. Any thoughts along those lines? I don't know that it is the answer, but many have been having reasonable shrinkage and improvement with it so far.

Praying for some sort of success soon. Good luck and keep that chin up as you usually do. You are one of the strongest on this site. Hang tough. Take care and God Bless.

CharlieD

Peggy,

This news just plain stinks and I bet you feel so frustrated and angry that there is nothing YOU can do to stop this progression and protect your sweetheart. Earl only had one lung tumor which was surgically removed. Never had another tumor there. Liver and brain were where his lc met.

I never gave up hope. There are too many stories of people that have overcome unbelievable odds, so I always felt Earl had a chance.

I hope Don takes the medical leave and you two get to spend some wonderful time together. Glad your son is on the mend, this should take some of the load off your shoulders.

Peggy, I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family daily. Keep us posted and come here for support.

Love,

Dear Peggy,

Please don't ever feel you don't want to come here because of the news you have to share. We want to be able to buoy you up and we can't if we don't know. We want to step up the prayers and we can't if you hide bad results.

You are only so strong, Peggy. Please allow us the HONOR of helping you carry the load as best we can cyber-wise. You have to know we ALL are thinking, hoping, and praying for your whole family.

I am not familiar with the drugs sppoken of here, but some of our "experts" feel therein may lie one answer, at least. Please know we all Stand with you - Stand 4 Hope. May you be granted the strength and courage to see you through this lates storm.

Kasey

Aw, crap, Peggy. :( I'm sorry the news was such a downer...but don't you ever apologize for sharing it here...because that's what this place is about. And you and DH are STILL an inspiration because you keep on keepin' on and never lose hope!

I find it nothing short of amazing that DH seems to have so little ill effects or pain from the number of lesions found. He's a testament to the strength of one's will and positive attitude....and so are you, hon!

Go ahead and get mad at the disease....curse it....rail at it....and then I know you'll get back on your positive track and try to enjoy every moment.

Just know that we're all here WHENEVER you need us...not just for the good reports, okay?

Thinking of you both...sending strength.

Peggy,

You and your dh have us all behind you, so you share whatever you need to share, discouragement, hope, rage, outrage, fury....

Will be watching for new news as they decide how to proceed...and keeping everything crossed that something will make a dent into this. But you're right: this dreadful disease, with its ability to spread so quickly once it's on its way, is a horror -- and we've all got to band together to find some way of defeating, or at least immobilizing, it. Keep on standing for hope, even when you feel virtually hope-less. We'll stand behind you!

Ellen

Peggy--

I'm so so sorry to hear this rotten news. Please don't worry about sharing the truth and discouraging any of us. You've been such an inspiration and encourager, now it's our turn to try to help you out. It's good to get the emotions and worries "out" as you have done. You have my unending prayers that Alimta is the "magic bullet" for your husband. And I hope now that hubby is on medical leave, you two can go and do some "fun" things together when hubby is feeling well enough to do so.

Gail p-m

Peggy,

Thank you for your bravery. I know you struggled with the decision to post all this.

We love you and your hubby and your son.

You guys will always be an inspiration. ALWAYS

Much much much love and many many hugs.

Peggy, we care so much.

Brian and Pat

Fairly new here, but wanted to send our love and prayers to you, too! I know, for me, sometimes it's hard to get hopes up only to feel like they're dashed when things look the brightest...hold on for the next day and then the next, etc. I've found that the GREAT things come when you're feeling down in the dumps.

Many many prayers and tons of love!!!

peggy, I do feel your pain. And I like you always felt Mike had some encouraging news every few months and did well. It is very hard to cope with this crappy news. Hang in there. Don't give up. God will take care of you and your family. AND miracles do happen. Take a deep breathe and then move on---and pray.

Love,NancyC

I am so heartbroken that you are now having to deal with this - but you both always are an inspiration and that hasn't changed one bit. I remember when things were so bad for Steve last July; his reports sounded just like that. His doctor said "more tumor than liver," but things did turn around and that is exactly what I pray will happen for you. Keep your eyes on the crest of the hill that is just ahead and soon you will be cruising down the other side. I bet taking time from work to focus on his health will probably be a big boost. You will be constantly in my thoughts and I will be trying to sign in much more often to see your updates.

(((Peggy))),

Bless your heart, here you are worrying about discouraging us. That's so like you. Peggy, it's time to lean on people here a bit. You've been a tower of strength for everyone else. You weren't put here to take care of us. You are going through the same battle we are. Just give yourself and your hubby time to let the new findings sink in .Don't you be giving up hope, just wait until all the info is in. Just maybe they can give him the Alimta . Alimta is helping others . It was doing well for my hubby until he developed the pneumonitis. Now we are at a standstill until he is better. This journey is rough, but let all of us be there for you. Glad to hear your son is home. I know you must still be very busy helping him, but at least you aren't traveling to the hospital. Take care of yourself Peggy. Know that we all care very much for you.

Love and Prayers,

Sue

What icky news to get. I'm sorry you both had to hear it. You know we are here to fight with you.

Now we get the chance to LIFT YOU UP. See... that's the best thing about friends. They can take turn being the encouragers and shoulders and ears. Besides, some of the most beautiful inspiration comes from those who are honest about their struggles, but help people see hope even in the midst of them. I've no doubt that you and your husband will still encourage us greatly.

Know that we're praying for you both. That includes Carolyn, and I'm pretty sure the Big Guy listens pretty closer to her. ;)

(((((hugs)))))

I'm so very sorry Peggy. I know you still have your hope, but this is such a let down, I know. God is still at work in our lives, even when they look like such a mess to us. You'll always be an inspiration to us.

((hugs)) and many prayers for you and your family.

Christy

Thank you to the best friends in the world!! I can still encourage all of you, though, because he is still doing well in spite of all that. He's just amazing!

He had a very good day today. He worked in the yard for more than 4 hours this morning. He did admit that he overdid it a bit, though, and took it easy the rest of the day. He's eating well and three of us devoured a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner.

We'll be ok, and so will all of you. One day at a time. We will have a fighting plan by the end of next week. I had my two days of "getting over the shock", so now I/we can focus on getting on with the fix.

Love,

Peggy

I had my two days of "getting over the shock", so now I/we can focus on getting on with the fix.

and that shock is just like a big ol kick in the stomach, isn't it? knocking ya flat on your back, leaving ya gasping for air. :shock: Then, ya pick yourself up, get your focus on the Lord and the next plan of attack. (at least that's how I remember feeling;))

and Yes, you are still very much an inspiration!

and thank you for the encouragement!