5 years

Eileen

It is now five years since my diagnosis of cancer and my operation. I am amazed at where the time went.

On a sad note, my sister has been diagnosed with lung cancer, squamous cell, either stage 2 or 3. Since she has rhematoid arthritis, and most of the tests came up negative, we really thought it was a benign rhematoid nodule. She was operated on last month and it was cancer and had spread to some of the immediate lymph nodes. She could not have her whole lung removed because her breathing is bad. She is either stage 2 or 3 and is debating if she wants treatment at all. She quit smoking over three years ago.

I have also lost two of my cats on the same day. One was my beloved 15 year old cat Bo-Bo---his health had been going down but the vet could not really find anything wrong other than old age. Rather than take him back for more testing, I just let him be and he died two weeks ago in the night. I buried him in my backyard. I miss him so much as he was the one with the personality and always greeted me when I came home---he was more like a dog than a cat.

The other cat I had to have put down--he was about 3, but had leukemia and was sick on and off since I found him as a stray.When he got sick, I would take him to the vet for medicine , and he would be ok for a couple of months. This time he was not coming back and was suffering--I had no choice. The other cats did not catch the leukemia as they were older and it tends not to spread to older cats.

One of my friend's husband passed away suddenly--Her husband was a Sales Rep for my company and they live in Georgia. They were married for 44 years , and worked together and were always together 24/7. She is having a really hard time of it.

So even though I am happy for five years, there seems to be much sadness around---and I just read of Dave's passing and am so sorry.

Best wishes to everyone,

Eileen,

First, congratulations on your five year mark! To people like me, that's quite an inspiration. I hope to be there myself in a few years.

I am also very sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis, and of course, the choice for treatment or not is ultimately her decision, but a lot of people here are doing so well after treatment, I'd have to encourage her to give it her best.

And your beloved pets, I understand. That's such a blow to lose them. In my case, it's my dogs. I had one pass from old age and kidney failure when I was in the midst of breast cancer treatments, and it was so tough. But, once my treatments were over, we made plans to get a new puppy the following spring, and we've found that the best way to honor an old beloved pet is to get a new one and love it too.

Again, congratulations on your five year mark.

Cindy

Eileen,

What a mixed bag of emotions you have to deal with. I sense your joy at being a 5 year survivor being tempered with sickness and death around you.

I do think "we" are affected in a much different way than most people when faced with others' sicknesses and deaths. And then in your case, losing 2 pets!!! Well, from my pic you should be able to tell animals play an important part in my life, so I totally identify with your grief over losing your cats.

This will certainly be a time of reflectin for you, Eileen. I am hopeful that the pleasantries of your life will far outweiigh the tribulations and you go on to celebrate MANY more years with NEW animal friends sharing them with you.

Best wishes,

Kasey

Eileen,

Thank you for sharing your 5h anniversary with us. I understand your feelings of both happiness and sadness today....but isn't that part of living for us all? Even those who are not ill?

I appreciate you letting me be a part of your survivorship. And your good news has brought a smile to me today.

Eileen, congratulations are certainly in order for passing the five year mark! This is such a date to treasure! I know that you have bittersweet feelings about this good news being mixed in with so many bad things going on right now. I am so sorry about your sister. I will certainly remember her in my prayers. I can only imagine the emptiness you must feel from losing two of your "babies" at the same time. I have four cats and would be totally lost without any one of them. I got two of them when they were tiny babies. Jake, was actually my last birthday present from Dennis. Then, two weeks later we adopted Spencer. He was found in a lady's yard when he was just hours old. Apparently, his mom had dropped him while moving the kittens and something happened to her. He lived the first four weeks of his life at the vet's office and then I became his mama. He has never known true life as a cat and truly thinks he's a little grey human with four furry legs. Tose two kittens are the only thing that seemed to hold me together while Dennis was ill. We got them in October. Dennis was diagnosed in February. So, they were at their playful peak when he was so very ill. Sometimes at night, I would sit alone and watch them play. They were the only thing that seemed to be able to take my mind off losing Dennis. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Eileen!

5 years , that is really wonderful. I hope your sister gives chemo a chance so that she also can celebrate survival. I hope today is a better day for you. Donna G

It seems as though you have some bad news to go along with the wonderful news that you are alive 5 years after surgery. I hope the bad doesn't take all of the good away from a BIG celebration. This is a wonderful thing to be happy about.

Nina

Hey Eileen.

The big 05. That's what everyone is shooting for! Congratulations. I remember passing my 5 year mark and remembering what my surgeon said to me way back when. He said, "son, if you get to five years, the probability of you dying of cancer is very small." So watch out Eileen, you said this five years went by so fast...well, soon ten years will be sneaking up on you. And sorry to hear about your recent losses. Take care.

David P.

Eileen,

I am so sorry to hear of your sister's health and of your cats. I know what you mean about Bo-Bo being more of a dog than a cat, I felt the same way about Casey, my cat I lost this year. Its' not easy and sometimes it amazes me that I still get choked up when I think about him not being here..

On the positive side, 5 YEARS, Eileen, you have made it to 5 YEARS!!!!! You are amazing, and without your friendship, I don't know if I would have made it this far. You have always been a power of example to me, first of all because you actually commute every day, that alone is the bravest of persons!! :lol: Secondly, because you have always been so real.

Anyway, I am GLAD you are here, and that you have stayed here. You have helped me from day one.. (I also stole the .... thing from you :roll: )

Hi Eileen,

Congratulations on your 5th year anniversary, that is great news and very encourageing for this board.

I am so sorry about your sisters diagnosis. She certainly did not need that on top of her other illness.

Maybe she can come here and we can give her some support which she will need.

Sorry about the loss of your babies, that had to be so depressing for you. My cat is 15 and still going strong. I would feel so lost without her around. But we know that someday they will not be here any longer. Even though you know this, it still is so hard to face that they are gone. You grieve for them just like you do a person.

There are so many older cats out there who needs homes. Either their owners died, or moved to an apartment assisted living etc. and could not take them. Maybe, you may consider adopting one on them instead of starting with a kitten. My heart always goes out to them when I see them locked in a cage, when they probably had the run of the house.

You have certainly been through so much. I hope things lighen up for you.

Maryanne

Five years, Eileen! That's truly wonderful. You give so much encouragement to others with that news. And I am sorry about your sister == but hope that she will be encouraged to go ahead and get treatment with you as a shining example for her. They can do so much more now, even with the horrible cancer spreading to the lymph nodes.

I know how you must feel, juggling your own good news with the constant bad news coming over the wire here and with friends and now your pets. It's a balancing act we all have to contend with....you have both our sympathy AND our congratulations!

Ellen

I congratulate you on the 5 year mark but am so sorry to hear of your other news. Has your sister visited this website? Perhaps when she's ready, it may give her the inspiration to fight this da** disease although your 5 year mark should do that for her. I'm also sorry to hear about your pets. I, too, love my animals. They are my best friends so I really do understand.

I expect that you're on your way to the next 5 years now.

I will hold your sister as well in my thoughts and prayers.

gail p-m

Thanks to all that replied--

My sister decided to go for the chemo and radiation and she starts next week

If she gets an adverse reaction , she can always stop.

Maryanne, I do have three other cats that are also elderly, they are just not like my Bo-bo. I would definitely adopt again and an older cat that does not stand much chance of getting a home--

Best wishes to everyone,