I AM BACK HOME...

carolhg

I am back home in my own house and it feels wonderful.I have been staying with my in-laws since I got out of the hospital, and they were wonderful. You know what they say: There is no place like home. I feel pretty good. I am really sore in my right rib area. The doctor explained to me that he removed one of my ribs when he did the thoracotomy. I had a boracoptophy (sp), thoracotomy and lobectomy. The good news is that of the 20 lymph nodes removed from my chest and thorasic area none of them were cancerous. The residue that was left from the tumor after radiation was removed with the lobectomy. I am not complaining and I am not going to complain about my discomfort. I have vicodin for the discomfort. I am not having any trouble with movement, breathing or appetite. I have an appointment Tuesday with my oncologist for followup chemo. I plan to go back to work at the end of August to start the new school year. I had surgery on July 1st and I was dismissed from the hospital on July 9th. The entire time that I was in the hospital I was in the ICU unit. I was not there because I was so ill, but because the hospital was so crowded that they just could not find a bed for me. The good part about being in ICU was that I got the best of care and the nurses were just wonderful. Having taught school for 32 years in my town it turned out that some of my former students are now nurses in the ICU unit. I asked them if they remembered years ago when I told them that one day I would be an old woman and they would be the doctors and nurses in the hospital taking care of me. They were so wonderful, they just said but you're not old-great kids! The down side about being in ICU was that I did not have a telephone. The other is that being in ICU for that long, I was there while people died and I could hear the pain and agony of family members as they lost their loved ones. That was really emotional and difficult for me. I too have a whole new respect for medical staff. One moment thay would be talking a joking and the next they would move in precision doing all they could to save a life. Believe me I have taken See's candy to all of the medical staffs that I have been lucky enough to work with on this journey. I thank God for them. You all know how scared I was and I want each of you to know that I am so very grateful to each of you for your encouragement and support. I pray that God Blesses each and every one of you. Please do continue to keep me in your prayers.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Just want to say Welcome home. I know you are sore, that rib thing is a killer. But you will recover its just takes time.

The best news is all those lymph nodes are all negative.. Your are so lucky there.

So glad you are home!!

Maryanne

Hi Carol

Thank you so much for the update! I really enjoy the dickens out of your attitude! You have a choice to complain about this and that (we all can) and you choose instead to see the goodness and be grateful. Thank you for the inspiration!

Heal up quickly, Carol, and prayers coming for a speedy, painless recovery!

Glad you are here!

Cindi o'h

Thank each and every one of you so very, very much. I am so grateful to all of you for your understanding, your concern, and your support. I pray that God Blesses each and every one of you. Thank you again. I am so grateful to be here.

Carol :D

Thank each and every one of you for your support and kindness. I am enjoying being home. I had one of my ribs removed during surgery, so I am very sore, but like I said I am NOT going to complain. I am so grateful that everything went well for me. Thank you all so very, very much.

Carol

Carol,

What good news! No matter how nice the company, nothing beats coming HOME. It just feels so good to be back in your very own bed around all your own stuff.

I really find it interesting that some of your former students were taking care of you! I'll bet they were glad to be able to help you and wanted to give back a little of what you gave them. Nice to see them turn out so well, isn't it?

Rest, relax, and feel all better soon!

Leslie

Carol-

A very nice post giving credit to medical staff---nice to hear some positives for those folks, thanks.

So glad that you are home and that your healing seems to be going well and that you are making plans. Keep it up and keep us posted.