Should my mom get a second opinion?

mamasbabygirl

Someone has mentioned to me that with diminished lung function that my mom may never come off the ventilator. Scared the crap out of me.

If it were you and your had a horrible standard of living to where you could not get yourself to the bathroom or turn over in bed, would you risk brain surgery? I am afraid my mom is not going to recover from this.

What would you do?

Lori,

How much confidence do you have in the hospital she is being taken care of? Is it a National Cancer Institute Hospital or one recognized and recommended by them? I personally would seek the opinion of a surgeon that does nothing but treat and operate on Cancer Patients. It's a big decision and deserves the very best. Just my view. God Bless in any decision you make.

CharlieD

Hi Lori; if I was aasured of a reaonable chance of success, I would take the risk to improve my quality of life. I would probably go to a major center like Fred Hutchinson Center in Seattle. I hope you and your mom feel reassured after the presurgical appointment.

Don M

I have to agree that if I were facing going blind and wasnot mobile, an emotional wreck, I would have to take the chance to live.

Dr. Warnick is a neurosurgeon at the University of Cincinnati. I plan on asking how many times he has done this procedure, the outcomes, etc.

I hope we all feel reassured Don!

Fingers crossed for today.. will update later.

Love, me

OK, here is the update..

Surgery is scheduled for January 9th. She will admit Sunday evening and surgery will start around 830 or 9am MOnday. It will last 4-6 hours and then off to ICU where they will watch for seizures or something catastrophic for about 2-3 days. She should be off the ventilator by Monday evening, but very groggy for a few days. Then, once she wakes up, she will be watched a few more days in the hospital and then it's off to inpatient rehab. Some things the Dr. said today:

When asked how many times he has done this procedure, he said, "Unfortunately over 200 times with an 80% cure rate (removing the necrosis)."

Once he is in her brain, if he sees any brain tumor, he will also implant brachytherapy seeds while removing the necrosis.

He states that her symptoms will be far worse for the first 2-3 months and then things will improve through therapy and her very strong will.

He noted that he had great success with another man in worse shape than her (that man is back at work 9 months post surgery) and commented that they had one thing in common-a very strong will to live and a positive outlook on things.

More when I can. I'm at work til 5 today..

Lori,

Thank you for the update,

Sounds like you got a good surgeon and he is

not afraid of giving details about the surgery

and the recuperation, that in itself is remarkable.

Will keep your Mom in my prayers for the best

for her and take care of yourself, you will have

to keep smiling all the way through the recuperation.

Love

Jackie

Lori,

Sounds like the doctor is very confident this will work for your mom and give her a good quality of life. You are a good and caring daughter. You sound a lot like my niece, very strong and determined. That's what your mom needs right now. For you to take the bull by the horns and move all obsticals out of the way. A real leader loaded with questions and advocacy. I applaud you for your stellar actions. You are there also to keep your mom motivated and anxious to get well and fighting the good fight.... :D

We are here for you and please keep us posted...

Sending lots' of prayers and hugs,

Karen

Lori it sounds like a plan is made and all you have to do now is wait. That will be the hard part but you are strong and will make it. If you or your mom get discuraged during recovery just think a few weeks ahead and picture something special that you will do together. My prayers are with you and your whole family.

Lillian

Thanks everyone for all of the well wishes and support. I pass them along to mom and they boost her up. I tell her how brave she is and she beams.

She had her whole body physical yesterday and her heart looks good. They did bloodwork, etc. to get her ready for this major operation.

I will update on her status. Love to all.