More cancer in my family

Carleen

I am hoping their is room enough in everyones prayers for my uncle Ken and aunt Bernie.

Tuesday I found out my uncle was admitted to the hospital Monday after going in for stomach pains. As it turns out, he was diagnosed with with Stage IV SCLC with mets to the liver and brain. They started him on Topotecan immediately. However, his liver is in such weak condition that he became jaundiced and they are now checking his blood daily and adjusting his chemo to low doses as allowable per day by his liver functioning. His doctors have told his family that they feel he as a couple of weeks to a month at best. (I told them they don't know that). His wife Bernie (Bernice) was diagnosed last year with advanced ovarian cancer and is also not doing well. (I just found this out Tuesday as well as they were keeping it quiet). They are being treated at a local VA hospital as they have no insurance, only my uncle's veterans standing. They are afraid he will be denied the latest and best available treatment because of it, and they are losing hope because of it.

I don't know how VA medical treatment or referrals go if anyone can update me I'd appreciate it.

My father has been at the hospital every day from dawn until midnight. He is devastated and his heart is breaking. This is his baby brother. My father is the oldest male, second oldest child of 13, and helped raise his younger brothers and sisters after his father died when he was 14. We are a very close family, in fact we all live within 10 miles of each other and see each other at every birthday and every occassion and with this size of a family that means every other weekend. He has already lost his youngest sibling, my aunt Wendy, to SCLC 7 years ago at the age of 48 and his brother Bobby to SCLC the year before that at 50.

I hope you can find it in your hearts to pray for my dear and beloved uncle Ken, his wife Bernie, and for my father as well. Please pray for my cousins as they care for and deal with the illnesses of both parents together.

Thank you and God Bless each and all of my friends here on LCSC.

Carleen,

I always have room in my prayers!!! My philosophy is when you think you have it bad..just look around you and someone is in worse shape, this was proven to me again tonight..by your post. I hope and pray everything turns out alright with you and your family.

Prayers and hugs

Connie

Oh Carleen,

When does all the pain stop!, and why? I ask my self alot these days, you don't need any more, but for whatever reason..it is happening to you, I, like others unfortunately totally understand. Carleen, stay strong, like the strong woman you are! You have many people here who are here for you, whenever and in whatever way you need no matter how big or small. I'm sending my prayers to you and your family...

Grace

So very sorry, Carleen. Of course I will say prayers for Uncle Ken and Aunt Bernie. I will also say a prayer for your father. I know how difficult this must be for him.

Carleen -

You guys have gone through so much -- your family is truly an inspiration. So many prayers for your aunt and uncle and Dad - I can't even imagine how tough this is for all of you, yet if anyone can thrive through the chaos, it is you. Your faith is a testament to all.

Holly

Carleen: I never cease to be amazed how some families are just inundated all at once... it just doesn't seem fair. But our experiences strengthen us and maybe help us to help and comfort other families. I will be praying for your uncle and aunt, and to give your Dad strength to deal with this.

Sandy

Dear Carleen,

I'm so sorry this wretched disease is hitting your family so hard. Many, many prayers being said for your Uncle and Aunt, your father and of course, you and Keith. God Bless. Keep the Faith and take care of yourself.

Lynda

Oh Carleen. I am so sorry...you can most certainly count on my prayers. This disease is so vast...I can't believe it. May God continue to watch over you and your family, may He bless you all with peace, renewed strength, and as always miracles...Jen