Surgery Scheduled

-Cheryl-

Hi everyone,

I met with the surgeon today. My scheduled surgery date is for the 15th! I am very anxious and scared. I have heard such horror stories. I have a lymph node swollen by the pulmonary artery which frightens me the most. It is not that large, but this is a delicate area. My doctor got my consent to use this experimental glue to seal my lung. It is a blind study, so I may not get the glue. The company will fly in some guy to watch the surgeon perform the surgery. I'm thinking the surgeon with perform better with an audience, huh!

The surgeon sent me for a lung function and capacity test. I performed above normal for my age, weight and height! I am still a bit anemic from chemo and rad, but blood gases look good too.

Anyone with positive insight about surgery would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I still vividly remember my fear before my pleurectomy back at the end of May. What I kept saying to myself was "what's my choice? I have no other choice." I also kept reminding myself of how advanced surgery has become, that I was young and otherwise healthy, and that I had the utmost confidence in my surgeons and their level of experience/expertise.

Just to give you some idea of what to expect, I awoke in the recovery room with the thought "well, I made it." With the next breath the pain hit, and the ultra-efficient nurse was there, asking me to rate it. I whispered "at least an 11" :wink: and she started the morphine. She was back every five or so minutes (who knows the time interval, since I guess I was not in a position to really judge) and kept giving me more until I felt better.

Re-reading that paragraph it sounds bad, but it really wasn't. Just the fact that I was awake and feeling was the important thing for me. Hold on to that when you wake up!!!!!

Aside from the few hours back at your room when everyone will be there looking concerned, and you'll be in the twilight zone, in and out, things will be fine. You'll finally sleep a deep sleep, when the morphine high runs its course. Also, post-surgical pain is taken very seriously these days, and they'll give you plenty of Percocet or equivalent so you won't be aware of even *being* in pain, since they'll cut it off at the pass.

I'd advise you to get the hell up and out of bed as soon as you feel able. Go to the bathroom dragging your IV pole, walk around the ward (accompanied) when you're up to it, and insist they let you out as soon as you feel comfortable. (I happened to be coming out of the bathroom when my surgeon arrived, and he saw me on my feet. I said "you're letting me out today, right?" with a big smile, and he instructed how to deal with the chest tube I still had. It was a cakewalk for a few days, to be able to be in my own home, compared to staying in that damned hospital!)

Finally--TAKE THAT PAIN MEDICATION. I made the mistake of trying to wean myself before I was ready--and that was about a week and a half after surgery--and never had a worse day in my life. The side effects are NOTHING if they keep the pain at bay. Also, insist on an anti-anxiety med like Xanax or Valium or Ativan to help you rest and stop thinking so much. :wink:

You're a young woman. Your cancer is operable. Hang on to this!

All the support and love I can offer,

Barbara

Cheryl.

Just keep repeating the mantra 'Surgery offers the best chance for cure, surgery offers the best chance for cure.'

Earl was miserable for a few weeks but he came home with the chest tube which ended up being in 3 weeks. Also he had the chest surgery just 2 months after the brain surgery. PAIN MEDS AND A PILLOW. PAIN MEDS AND A PILLOW.

Barbara, is right. At least at Fox Chase they are very concerned about post op pain. Most of Earl's pain was due to movement. The pain gets better each day. I don't think he even took all the pain pills he had.

The surgery was definitely worth it. He was only in ICU for 12 hours.

Cheryl, you are young, you will do beautifully. Many prayers and thoughts will be there that day for you.

Cheryl-great that you get to have surgery! That's a good thing.

Tim went though it and had tumor that had grown onto his pulmonary artery. They had to go into his pericardum to remove the tumor--but they did it! When he got back to his room--no ICU for him--within a 1/2 hour he was sitting in a chair watching a baseball game. He was totally out of it and very funny, but really not too uncomfortable. He had his ups and downs during the week he was in, but they removed his chest tube within about 3 days and he was home in a week.

Take all the pain meds they give and ask for what you need. He had his done in June and is doing pretty well. He takes walks and swims a few laps now and then.

You'll do fine. Your young and plus you have all of us praying for you.

Annie

Cheryl,

You will do just fine, you are young and strong. You are in my prayers today and every day.

God Bless you and your family.....

Praying for a "Cure" for all of us........

Karen

Dx'd 3-03 - 3a - nsclc

radiation 3-25-03 to 5-15-03, taxol/carbo 4-1-03 to 5-20-03

started taxol/carbo 7-23-03 (every 3 weeks ) for 6-8 cycles

Annie,

What type of chemo did Tim have and how may radiation treatments did he have. You said the tumor was on the pulmonary. Was it in the right or left lung?

I was told I couldn't have surgery because the tumor was on the pulmonay and I had too much radiation along with taxol/carbo at the same time. The thorasic surgeon said it was a very delicate surgery and that my chances were 50/50 and that I probably would not make it home from the hospital. Then in his next breath said if I get tired of chemo treatments to give him a call. (??????) Confusing to me. Please let me know.

Praying for all members on this board. God is good, he does hear our prayers.

Thank you for your response.

God's Blessing to all.......

Praying for a "Cure" for all of us

Karen

Dear Cheryl,

Im so happy to read that your surgery is the 15th. I'll be praying for you all day till I read Jack's post in GOOD NEWS!!

As you know Im praying that my father's scan in 3 weeks will show he is ready for surgery. However, he had this lung surgery two years ago for his lymphoma biopsy so I can tell you a thing or two. They will give you morphine for the pain if you need it. They dont want you to be in pain so theyll do whatever they can to keep your pain minimal. My father was in ICU for a day or two just to be safe, but he is quite a bit older than you so maybe that was why. He was in the hospital about a week. Then came home w/ pain meds which he took as needed. The recovery takes a bit, but dont be scared, dear Cheryl, you are going to do GREAT, I just KNOW it!!!!!!!

Cheryl,

I am so happy for you (and so jealous) that you are scheduled for surgery. As you know, I still have both lungs, such as they are, but I do have experience with major chest surgery. The morphine PCA is wonderful except after sleeping when you haven't pushed the button for a while. I woke up in ICU on a ventilator with my hands tied down, which was scary, but once they determined I was awake, they took it out. I'll just echo everyone else's comments about pain medication and walking. Once they take the chest tubes out you begin to feel dramatically better, and the sooner you are up walking around, the sooner you get to go home away from people waking you up in the middle of the night to check your vitals. (Oh, and bring your own pillows!)

Becky

Cheryl,

I know that you have been working up to this surgery for quite a while. I can't believe that it is finally going to happen for you!!

My surgery was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. That's not to say that its a walk in the park, but I imagined the worse. And being young and having the lung capacity that you have written you have, will really come into play as it did with me. I was operated on on Monday and was watching my reality TV shows Monday night :) . By Tuesday I was complaining that I wanted something to eat besides friggin pudding and tea AND I wanted my hair washed! I was uncomfortable but not in extreme pain, especially when I learned how to work the epidural pump thing and found out I couldn't overdose myself. Like others have said, TAKE the pain meds... I tried to wait before pushing the button...what was I , crazy?? Free drugs... they'll be gone soon enough!!!! :shock:

When I first came out of surgery, it was a little disconcerting because of all the things I had hooked up to me..the epidural catheter, the bladder catheter, the IVs, chest tubes, ekg wires...what have you. They had said that I may be on a respirator temporarily but when I woke up, I was not. Still, I just didn't EXPECT all that stuff hooked up to me!! But its all normal, and all that stuff will be gone before you know it. I was lucky enough to have the chest tubes taken out on Thursday.

Make sure when you have plenty of pillows for when you get home...you will want to prop yourself up in bed to be more comfortable. I had to send someone out last minute to get 4 more (I already had 4)!! So that's definitely something you will want to prepare for! And like said by others, start walking around the hospital as soon as they say. It is real difficult at first and I walked on a list...leaning to the one side at like a 45 degree angle...kind of like the Titanic before it sunk under the ocean (which was a metaphor for how I felt at the time!) My friend thought I resembled another movie character and started calling me Shrek.. :lol:

You will do fine Cheryl...just remember that no matter how bad you feel, the next day will be better. Every day you will notice a small improvement (to this day, 10 weeks later, I'm still gaining every day). The 4th day is really when I could say that I actually felt 100% better than I had (coincidently, was finally detoxed from the nicotine). It was also the day when everything was taken off me and I had my first shower. You certainly learn to appreciate the little things in life all over again!!

Will be thinking of you and wishing you the best!!!

Debi

47 years old

Stage 1a - nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003, upper & mid lobe removed

Cheryl, I felt a great sense of relief after surgery. I wanted that thing out of me. :) I didn't have much trouble with the surgery or the recovery. As the others have said, Take the pain medication whenever you need it. I tried to tough it out at first but then realized that you actually recover faster if you use the pain meds. I was able to pop into our local pub and say hello to my friends a few weeks after surgery. Didn't stay long but it was still a great feeling. I found great comfort from a microwavable heat pack. You'll do fine and be back on your feet in no time. I'll be wishing you the best. :):)

Cheryl,

Just wanted to add by prayers and best wishes for success with your surgery.

I don't have any experience with that, unfortunately, but I will be thinking about you and send out prayers that everything comes out 100%, for a speedy and painfree recovery, and a successful prognosis of everything out.

God Bless

Carleen

Cheryl,

My mom just had surgery Friday. They removed part of her left lung and 3 ribs. She wasn't able to have an epidural because of her platelets so I think she was in quite a bit of pain. It doesn't sound like they're removing your ribs, so I hope it will go as well as what the others said. Although they did give her moriphine through an IV and allowed her to "push the button", they didn't want her too be so drugged up that her breathing was repressed. Her first 48 hours were rather intense. Finally they gave her tarvol tarvodol (sp?) for the pain, and she was able to get to a better place. (You might want to write that down just in case the moriphine doesn't work.) She was out of ICU Sunday and they had her up Saturday. I echo what everyone else has said-- use the meds (moriphine) they give you.

From what I could see from my mom, it is an intense surgery. I think maybe she wasn't exactly prepared for that, which is why I'm telling you. Reading what the others wrote, though, should help a bit. It sounds like you are otherwise healthy and have good lung functioning so you should come out of recovery well!

Good luck and prayers to you.

YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :lol:

So happy you are scheduled for surgery! Barbara's "rate the pain" comment reminded me of when I was in labor. The nurse asked me to "rate the pain between 1 and 10. I answered "52". My husband looks at her and says, "I think it really hurts!"

All the best, have Jack keep us posted. Where are you hiding him?

Cheryl,

I am so glad that you got the go-ahead for surgery! I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way! I won't tell you not to be scared because I was TERRIFIED :roll: , however, when it was all over, I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I had my upper right lobe removed, and when I woke up in recovery, I had an epidoral drip in me that they kept in for 2 days. That seemed to control the pain VERY well. (I also had that annoying chest tube in for 3 days and was very relieved to lose that thing when the time came!)

I had surgery on a Monday morning, they had me up and walking the halls Tuesday morning, the epidoral drip came out Wednesday morning and the chest tube came out Wednesday night. I came home early Thursday night. Once the epidoral drip was gone, they gave me Oxycodine and Motrin for pain. I have to say that the worst days were Fri/Sat/Sun of that week. (The worst part was trying to get up off the couch or bed after laying still for awhile -- make sure you have someone there to help you up!!!) But after the first week, it was a steady improvement and about three weeks after surgery, I weaned off of the Oxycodine and was able to drive myself around again.

I know that everyone has different experiences with surgery/pain -- I pray that you will sail through surgery and recover quickly!!!

Heather

Cheryl,

Am so happy you are having surgery. You know, that is a horrible thing to say to someone for surgery is not easy but for you it is a great thing. You will do well, you are ready, you have waited for this day to come.

After Buddy's surgery, he could have went home the 2nd or 3rd day. thank God the surgeon was out of town....

a friend of ours just had surgery and part of his right lung removed on the 11th of Aug. he is age 80 and I was talking with him last night and he is doing great....said it was a piece of cake. It probably was Marble Cake for one has to have marbles in their brain to say it was a piece of cake. haha..

All kidding aside, don't worry, you will be fine. You have your love to keep you fine.

Cheryl,

Congratulations on finally being able to have your surgery scheduled. I know that I could not wait to get that awful tumor out of my body. I was absolutely terrified, but I had the epidural for pain relief and when they got that calibrated correctly, I did just fine.

Was not on a ventilator when I woke up--doesn't sound like you will be either. Just had oxygen in my nose. Did have the IV, catheter, ekg all that while in intensive care the first night.

Try to get up as soon as they want you to. I think that was the beginning of my recovery. I was only hospitalized for 3 nights. First several nights I slept on the couch because it helped me breathe when my head was elevated, plus it was so much easier to get up. If your husband can help you get up that is even better.

Take the pain meds. My surgeon said there is no extra credit for enduring pain, in fact it just delays healing. I was on the pain medication (tylenol with codeine) for 2 weeks after I got home. Back at work in 2.5 weeks.

I wish you the best of luck--you're young and otherwise healthy--you should do fine.

Hello Cheryl;

I think Ry put it best with the YIPPPEEE, comment, :lol::lol::lol: So very happy that your getting the surgery. Remember, it is your best chance for a cure. Scary, yes, :shock: but your young and strong, you'll do well. I see others have given you all the right suggestions. So I'll just wish you well. :)

And, my family pic was taken 8 weeks after my left lung was removed, hiking in the rainforests of Costa Rica. again you'll do well!

God bless, be well and you will be in my thoughts and prayers

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Thanks Everyone,

Your insight and encouragement has helped me tremendously! There seems to be a theme....TAKE THE MEDS FOR PAIN! I will do that. My husband gets so mad at me because I never take meds prescribed, but I am by no means a marter and will do what is necessary to heal. You guys have been a second family to me and I can't tell you much your support means to me. I have heard people say "nobody really understands what were going through, but the people on this board." That is true, I have turned to you in some pretty dark times. You guys have always been there.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I just got back from seeing my mom and thought of some more advice. Her nurse tonight was telling her how important it is to speak up and tell the nurses how you're doing, especially when they move you out of ICU. If you're in pain, in an uncomfortable position, thirsty, or anything, just push that button and speak up! I think my mom is worried about being a pain or a baby but she's paying them a lot of money so she should feel ok asking for what she needs. If she doesn't speak up, they can't help her (nurses words).

My other suggestion to you is to make sure and have some family around when they transition you out of ICU. When you're in ICU, there's like one nurse for two patients. When you move out, the ratio goes up tremendously. It's not that you don't get good care purposefully, it's just that the nurses have a lot more people to tend to. When I went yesterday, no one had cleaned my mom up and she hadn't had lunch. When I asked one of the nurses about it, she told me that they expect patients to be responsible for their own care (difficult when you're on moriphine).

People will be asking you how they can help. LET THEM AND GIVE THEM SOME SUGGESTIONS!!!!!! I don't know your family situation but meals to your family might be one way, errands, picking up dry cleaning, etc. For you, you might want to suggest that your visitors bring your favorite foods. The food at my mom's hospital is horrible (I tried it)! I've asked some of her friends who are visiting to come with snacks. She needs to eat but can hardly stand the food. Strawberry shakes have been working nicely.

I'm sure this is very scary for you. It's a scary thing but what is a few weeks in recovery compared to a second chance? Most people are not fortunate enough to get a reminder of how precious life is AND the opportunity to really enjoy it.

If you are able to over the next two weeks, treat yourself. Go get your nails done, get a facial, splurge on a Starbucks, do whatever it is to keep yourself positive.

I've seen your responses all over this site and you are truly a very giving person. If generosity is rewarded, I'm sure you will breeze through this!

Hello Cheryl,

I would like to add my very best wishes for your recovery after your surgery on 15 th. I will be thinking of you as well, when I work out the time difference. Cheryle it is 7 years and 7 months since I had my right lung removed. When I awoke in intensive care, my daughter was with me, and yeah it is a bit scary expect that. I pushed a way at that button when thw pain was a bit much. That is what the pain relief is for " USE IT"

My daughter tells me I kept saying "Upwards and Onwards" to her That was a twilight zone night. Next day I did so well I was moved to a ward, was up that night, in the shower next day, with my oxygen. I was home in a week. It is harder then, but I walked, a little more each day, it is so important to get that remaining lung going for it !! You know what it will. I had no chemo or radiation. Have been cancer free for almost 8 years. Feels good. You are all so brave, and I am humbled to read your posts and responses. If I can be of help to anyone anytime. Dont hesitate to contact me. Good Luck , oh yes have apillow or cushion with you all the time for a little while to cough , hold it against your empty lung area. So good. And a heat bag for the micro wave is such a comfort. CONFORT is the word give yourself lots of pillows lots of comfort. Love yourself to bits, and just keep on pampering YOU, forever.

Cheers Aussie Ina. : :)