One of Heaven's newest angels....my Mom's Obit.

DebsSky

Edith St. Amant nee Bara

After a long and courageous battle with cancer, it is with great sadness that the family of Edith St. Amant (nee Bara) announce her passing at the age of 62 at the Lloydminster Hospital on August 20, 2006.

Edith is survived by her mother and stepfather, John and Betty Marshall of Merritt, B.C, her brothers Gordon and Bob Bara both of Merritt, B.C., Gary Bara (Sandy) of Malakwa, B.C. and Dennis Bara of Vancouver Island, B.C., her sisters Isabelle and Dorothy Bara (Henry) of Merritt, B.C, Rhonda Wills (Rick) of Merritt, B.C., her two sister-in-laws Verna Landry (Ray) of Prince Albert, SK., Jacqueline Boucher of Toronto, ON, her three children, Donald St. Amant (Tammy), Deborah St. Amant (Ivan) both of Marwayne, AB, Dan St. Amant (Joyce) of Blackfoot, AB., her seven grandchildren, Jenavee, Katelynn, Willson, Reshaun, Laryssa, Jordan and Joshua, as well as, numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, many other relatives and beloved friends. She is predeceased by her husband Maurice St.Amant, her father August Bara, her father-in-law Aurther St.Amant, her two brothers Donald and Terry Bara, her two brother-in-laws Peter and Aurther St. Amant Jr., her sister Julianne Bara, her niece Jacqueline Bara, her nephew Ricky Dean Wills and her grandson Brett St. Amant.

How can you sum up in a few short paragraphs the gift my Mother’s life was to people? If I had one word to describe her it would be beauty. Beauty from the inside out, she truly was and is a beautiful soul. Her family and friends were everything to her and it showed in her life by the many things she did, the words of encouragement she provided and the wise advice she gave. She had such a heart of gold that even if you did not know her and you were in need, she would give so freely. Right down to picking up hitchhikers, which we begged her not to do because of the obvious dangers, and she would even end up coming home with their phone numbers and call them to make sure they were okay.

Throughout her life she worked very hard from cooking in camps and restaurants, to caring for the elderly which she went to college for, to building her own business, an oilfield environmental company named ECO Enterprises Inc., which is still in operation today. Someone once said that she is the only person they know that had a $900.00 a month donut bill because she had to make sure the truck drivers had at least a snack. She devoted herself to all that she did. She actively volunteered in the Lloydminster Aboriginal Head Start program and other programs, but Head Start was her passion. She had such enthusiasm and zeal for the program and all of the people involved or attending that you could see it.

My Mother and Father met when she was 16. They eventually married in 1971 in Merritt, B.C. and made their home on Vancouver Island and throughout B.C and had all three of us in the process. After my Dad’s death in 1982 in Fort St John B.C., all of us eventually gravitated out to the prairies, and she, always a mother first, followed.

As a child I can remember her very protective nature, as little as she was, she would not let anybody or anything hurt any one of us if she could help it. She would even fight our childhood battles for us even if it meant chasing someone down with a broom in hand. Her caring for her family was always dominant in her life even in her final days. As sick as she was, she had to make sure everybody else was okay. People would come to see her in her hospital room and she would end up comforting them instead of them comforting her. Even with all the pain she was enduring, she always had a smile or hug for you. She was an exceptional woman.

I could go on and on about what a great lady my Mother was and how lucky I was to have her as my mother, but no words would capture the magnitude of it. All I can say is that God truly blessed me when He chose who my Mother was to be and I am a better person for it. I will always miss her and love her dearly and she will always be in my heart.

God bless you Mom and I won’t say goodbye, just see you later.

Deborah St. Amant

The family would like to acknowledge Dr. AnnaMarie Snyman of the Lloydminster Clinic and Dr. Charles Butts of the Cross Cancer Institute for their great compassion and caring, Myrtle Racette and Marleen Gormley for being such great friends and support during Edith’s and our time of need, as well as, all of our other friends and family that expressed their great sympathy and caring during this difficult time.

The service was held at the McCaw Funeral Chapel with Pastor Mercer Moye officiating (whom we would like to thank for driving such a great distance to be here), Kent Armstrong delivered the eulogy, honorary ushers were Robert Stuebing and Ken Allen, special music was performed by Corrina Ludwig – Beulah Land, Jenavee St. Amant – Ashoken Farewell, Willson St. Amant – In the Sweet by and by, Eleta Moye and Steve Cook – There’s a River and Eleta Moye – Softly and Tenderly.

In lieu of flowers, all donations with regards to Edith’s memory were or can be directed to the Lloydminster Aboriginal Head Start Program or the charity of the donor’s choice.

As appearing in the Lloydminster Meridian Booster, Lloydminster, AB/SK

• 3 months later...