Joanie (Daggiesmom) Hospitalized Again

daggiesmom

Hello again, folks. This is Brian with yet another request for your prayers and good thoughts.

As Joanie may have mentioned, she has been fighting infection(s) almost since the day that she left the hospital in early September. Her cough was just about completely gone by early last week but she developed a low grade fever at around the same time. (She had a doctor's appointment for this past Friday.)

Roll forward to Wednesday night. Fever but no cough until about 9-10 PM when she had a bad coughing spell & expelled a lot of sputum. This was accompanied by shortness of breath -- a new development -- that passed within a few minutes. We went to bed a bit before midnight and, just as we were falling asleep, Joanie started coughing up a very large amount of sputum streaked with blood. Once she stopped long enough to pull on clothes, we called her doc & took off for the ER. (EMS will only transport to the nearest hospital.)

The doctors' preliminary diagnosis was pneumonia and they attributed the bleeding to very high Coumadin levels. (The bleeding stopped on its own by early Thursday morning & has not recurred.) After a CT scan and bronchoscopy, it appears that 2 things are going on: another fistula has developed in the vicinity of her previous surgeries and there is pneumonia in the upper lobe of her right lung. The infection is being treated medically and the plan is to go in tomorrow and eliminate the fistula using 1 or possibly 2 "minimally invasive" procedures -- a stent to repair the hole and possibly a pigtail stent to create a vacuum, causing the fistula to collapse in on itself. (Sorry, but that's the best I can describe it.)

The doctors are optimistic that this approach should take care of the problem. They were also very optimistic in both December and August. We are praying that they are right this time. Please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming.

I'll update as possible. Thanks again for your support.

Rgds,

Brian

(Daggiesdad)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Brian............not AGAIN is about all I can say. I just wish I was there to visit and help bolster spirits for you both. You KNOW you've got lots of prayers and best wishes coming from PA.

I hope what they say is true..........third time's a charm. You are a GREAT advocate, Brian. Keep strong.

Kasey

I am so sorry to hear she is back in the hospital again--she has to be so tired of this. Let her know we are thinking of her and wishing her home soon. Have they called in an infectious disease doctor about her infections? It seems they should be able to knock those out with all the new antibiotics out now.

Joanie's surgeon stopped in and told her they will not be proceeding as I had outlined -- at least, not at this time. She has a serious drug resistant bacteria in the fistula that needs to be eliminated. (Yes, there is an infectious disease doc involved.) They will be going in surgically in the next day or two in an attempt to clean it out. They are talking about packing the area w/gauze & leaving it open to heal. They didn't discuss how they plan to proceed after that.

This is very discouraging news & indicates a much longer than anticipated hospital stay. I don't know what else to say.

Brian

PRAyers coming from NC So sorry to hear this news. Is a good thing there is a plan in place and glad they are proceeding.It sounds like all tha bases are covered which helps. Many prayers today for you and Family and Joanie!! Keep us posted when you can and take care of yoursef and Her.

Brian,

Thank you for faithful udates.

Remind Joanie how much I care.

I have asked my Brian to come sit by her for a while. He is in a better postition to do that than I am.

Joanie was one of Brian's very favorites on LCSC and he called her "that spunky girl".

remind her.

Love

Pat

Brian,

I, like all the others, am so terribly sorry to hear Joanie's in the hospital again. I know how tired she is of not feeling well, and I hope the doctors can fix this so it gets her back on her feet as soon as possible.

Cindy