"It is what it is"

Don M

I kind of like that saying.

Anyway, I just got the results of my scan and the radiologist says the tumor has grown from about 1 cm to 3.4 cm in just 3 months. For the previous year, it had hovered right around 1cm. Then it takes off and grows exponentially, after 33 treatments of intense radiation and 4 rounds of alimta. I was very surprised and disappointed that my treatment apparently did not work. I talked to a radiation oncologist at Swedish tumor Institute in Seattle, and she says that the apparent large tumor could also be explained by a large amount of inflammation caused by a dying tumor. It is as if my tumor went nova. I like that explanation better. I am going to see the tumor docs next week in Seattle and see what they have to say.

"It is what it is".

Don M

Hi Don, I am sorry that spot is still hanging around...it's got to be inflammation.

How could it grow that much so fast while it showed so little growth before. It only makes sense it is inflamed from being blasted to pieces. :)

You've been so patient waiting for results. Hopefully those docs in Seattle will confirm what the lady onc said.

Prayers,

Barb

It is so hard to imagine that the tumor had such growth with the rad and alimta, isn't it? Guess seeing what they have to say at the Swedish Institute is all you can do at present. I will believe that the nova explanation is correct and keep hoping for the best for you, Don. You just keep getting knocked down by this.....and bless you.....you get up and knock it back again and again. I am sorry you have to keep doing that.

Kasey

What a shocker, Don.

I am hoping with all my might that this is supernova.

I admire your guts and determination to move forward and onward. You always seem to have strong reasoning and an intellectual approach to beating back this bugger. You have so much going for you, Don.

I am counting on your good doctors to help put this bad boy to rest once and for all...

Cindi o'h

Hi Don,

You are definitely one who is inspiration on here as you certainly are a fighter. I knew you were having your testing and after all the treatments I along with everyone here was hoping for good. How disappointing this news has been.

But I pray for the results to be the latter. So there is hope and if not I know you will do whatever it takes.

You are so brave and I am so sorry you are even going through all of this turmoil.

I am sending prayers...

Maryanne

Hey Don, Here's what you wrote; the radiologist says the tumor has grown from about 1 cm to 3.4 cm in just 3 months. Now since when do we believe anything those darn radiologists write? :)

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that this concentrated beam of radiation would create scar tissue just like regular radiation. Only it would probably look denser and very localized because the beam was so concentrated. Of course, what good radiologist wouldn't jump at the chance to call this tumor growth?

I'm not a radiologist, :) , but I think your oncs probably spread the beam out a little bigger than your actual tumor just to give you a safe margin. This is why the spot looks bigger now.

Anyway, just my theory Don. Barb

Thanks for your support again every one. My radiation oncologist and the lung cancer expert at Swedish Tumor Institute, Dr. West, are going to review the data and take it to the tumor board this Friday morning. My radiation oncologist will call me Friday after the meeting and tell me what’s up. I also have an appointment to see Dr. West the day after Christmas. The radiologist at Swedish will offer his own interpretation of the scan too. I had the scan done at my local facility. I would take it to the Swedish guys to say what they have to say about it no matter what the local radiologist said anyway.

Barb, that is excellent insight about what could be causing the 3.4 cm spot. It stands to reason that the object on the film would have a tightly defined boundary because the beam was so focused. I had a radiation burn spot on my chest that was a little circle somewhere around 1.5 inches in diameter, maybe a little less. I remember being concerned about it because it was considerably bigger than the diameter of the tumor itself. Anyway, that is about 3.4 cm.

I am tempted to mention it to Dr. West, but I think I will just wait until the consultation. I am sure that they are looking at all the possibilities.

Don M

The tumor board at Swedish in Seattle looked at my scan today. The radiation oncologist called me and said the next step is for me to get a bronchoscopy and possibly fiducial placement in the tumor the same day for cyberknife treatment. The radiation oncologist thinks there is a small chance that it is a dying tumor, but when he mentioned fiducial placement, that indicates to me that he thinks it is very likely that the tumor is still active. At least it is apparently still in my lung and there is no new disease. If the tumor is bigger now, I suppose it should be easier to find with a bronchoscopy.

Don M