Duke of Earl - Chapter 46

Guest ginnydec

Guest ginnydec

Our onc. called last friday pm and said that Earl had multi tumors in his liver and that this was 'untreatable'. He would start him on Iressa. He said that the past year had been a reprieve and that we would shoot for another reprieve. He also said he was not a candidate for RFA or for his particular clinical trial. This was all told to us after he read the report created by the radiologist at another hospital.

Today, we meet with the onc. Came prepared. Earl and I had each taken and adavan and our two daughters were with us. I also a an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of questions.

Remember we have spent the last 8 days with the impression that this was it - that the iressa was a nice safe palliative solution.

To net it out - Earl starts Carboplatin/Taxol infusions next friday after they install a port. Two treatments 3 weeks apart - scan - 2 treatments - scan - 2 treatments - scan. Obviously 3 - 6 only if scans show improvement. Next step Iressa. Quote the onc. - Let's get him one more year and then let's get him a second year.

Adavan is now in medicine chest.

We almost blew the hospital down with our big sighs of relief. Is it good news - not really - but it is hopeful news.

Thank you for your prayers.

Special thanks to Ry for her info on Iressa.

My special love to you all.

Ginny

Hip, hip, hooray!!!!! You have a plan, and a back-up strategy, and it sounds as if your onc is in your corner all the way! You never know what treatments might be just around the bend, so keep on keepin' on. So glad both of you are feeling hopeful...I just love Earl's attitude and your sense of humor.

Much love.

Ginny,

Hang in there love, the fight is long from over. This battle can still be won!!!

I would also suggest that you still look into the RFA. My husband has 4 mets in his liver, and his oncologist says that he is keeping RFA on the back burner in case they grow. Right now his liver mets are small, and not his major concern. But he says if they grow, Keith can still have this as an option. So, if Keith can have RFA with 4, Earl should be able to have it with 3.

Hold onto hope. I know that when Keith was first diagnosed, we were told that they were hoping it didn't spread to other organs, and after we found that it was in his lymph nodes and liver, we were told from the Mayo Clinic that it didn't mean he didn't have the same chances of remission as everyone else. It just meant we had to say prayers for success in multiple areas. It can happen. It has happened for others and it can happen for us as well. Keith's liver mets are shrinking from his current chemo. He got another scan today, we find out the result next Tuesday and I am praying and hoping it continues on until they are gone.

I am now praying for the chemo to work it's miracles in Earl too. to quote McBeth "Out out Da_n Spot(s)"

Praying hard and sending lots of love

Carleen

DUKE, DUKE DUKE, --- DUKE of EARL --- just can't find the musical notes on this keyboard??? :):):):) Yea, love that song-

Ginny, that's fabulous news :D:D , so very happy for you and Earl!! Back in the fight again!!

Good to be a survivor today!!

God bless you both

Bobmc- NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

We are all in the same boat; my wife received her 2nd Taxol/Carboplatin cocktail at the doctor's office this morning. Right now, she is sitting next to me watching TV and she is doing pretty good! There was a 3 weeks interruption in her treatment because of a surgery to remove tumors in her small bowel 3 weeks ago. Her oncologist wants to hit her again in 21 days. She is in good spirits and has no pain - this is great! We only had bad news so far... it can't get any worst!

Hang in there and good luck!

Johnny

I look forward to your posts about the Duke, as well (and yep, Ry, the song always comes to mind). I love that the doc is looking for another 'reprieve'-see, hope floats! Take care, and looking forward to the further adventures of...

Ginny and The Duke

Take care, and I hope that you know that you and Earl are always in my thoughts and prayers-Deb

Ginny

Great news, no reason the Duke can't buy another year, then another. That is all we can hope for, any of us, one day at a time, one year, etc, etc. There is a woman that I have known for 12 years and all of those 12 years she has had cancer. I have never seen her with her own hair, but she is still around and still doing good, still runs her own business, she gives me hope. Thats all we have is hope and by God we are strong on that.

I too always think of that song whenever I see your posts, showing my age!

Bess B

Wonderful, Ginny! The ongoing saga, NOT a mini-series made for TV, an epic, a Michner novel!

Not the do-wap rendition here, Ginny....Billy Joel with his "I thought I was the Duke of Earl when I made it with a redhaired girl in a Chevrolet.." I think the title is "Keeping the Faith" THAT seems to fit, too!

KEEP THE FAITH!

Ginny,

I am so happy for the both of you. :D:D What I don't like is the up and down they put us through. :( Why couldn't he have told you that the other day. Why put people is such horrible stress.

If I were you I would ask exactly why Earl cannot have RFA. I know when they told me buddy had mets to the liver (which evidently he did not) they said his was to small for RFA and you can only have RFA if they are a certain size. Can't be to small and cannot be to big but if and when his grew then that would be something to look into. After what happened to Buddy I want all the answers down to the period in the sentence. NO, just can't will not do for me or you... Who knows why Earl can't have it, only the Dr and he needs to explain why not in laymen terms to you.......

Give Earl a big hug from Buddy and Me.....

I Look forward to reading MANY MANY more chapters on the Duke of Earl.

This IS hope...THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

I'm so happy for your family and continue to pray for all of you.

(((HUGS)))

KatieB