Friday the 13th strikes...

OK, so I'm really not that superstitious, but Mom is back in the hospital. Even with daily, 3-hour hydration, she is not doing well with her esophagus problems due to the radiation. She is barely able to choke food and her meds down (she drank "one whole can" of Ensure the other day--and that took all day), and they often "get stuck" and come right back up. Even drinking water gives her grief. Thrush is developing in her mouth and throat.

Hopefully she will only be in for a few days. I know that this problem will pass, and they are trying to keep her numbers up until it does. She was able to keep down a spoonful of mashed potatoes and some applesauce yesterday at the hospital, partly due to some new meds she is getting.

I just hate seeing her like this. She fights so hard and is so strong, but it is really starting to take its toll. She hasn't had a break from chemo since last July, and they are thinking of giving her one now. I am afraid that it is because her last scans showed no improvement, even with the radiation and chemo. There was no progression either. Trying to look on the bright side.

Prayers, as always, are appreciated.

:) Kelly

Oh so sorry, Kelly. I had LOTS of esophagus trouble.....had it stretched about 4 times. I don't know if that is an option for you guys or not. Anyone talk about a feeding tube? Remember Jamie had one and felt it was a godsend.......just a thought.

Thoughts and prayers for all of you, Kelly. It's hard to remain strong and positive when you get slapped down like this, but you are a remarkably strong young woman........not that you really want to hear that, I know. And no progression....good for sure.

Kasey

I am so sorry to hear your Mom is having so much difficulty. I second the suggestion that you ask her doctor about a feeding tube. My doctor’s told me the majority of patients who get radiation to the esophagus will need one.

Kelly,

Prayers are on the way for you , your family and your mom. She has been such a fighter. It's such a helpless feeling to see the ones we love suffering like that. Sorry she is in the hospital , but hope that they can help her and get her built up. A feeding tube could be an option.

Sue

Kelly, I also feel you should see about a feeding tube. My mom also had these problems, but she didn't want a feeding tube. We all can't help but wonder if we would have insisted she get one she might still be here today. Instead, even though she tried very hard to eat and drink enough, she got very dehydrated and very very sick. While she was in the hospital for that she slipped and fell and developed a hematoma on the brain, then needed brain surgery. Well she just never really recovered after that. You mom is in my prayers.

Oh Kelly, some of my mom's worst pain was from the the radiation. Even water hurt my mom. It did subside, but it took a month or so after her radiation had ended. I pray it subsides quciker for your mom, but it sounds like a feeding tube may be a quick patch until she can eat again. Prayers my dear!

Hope your Mom is feeling better now.

I read in your post that she has Crohn's Disease. That will effect her esophagus also, if it happens to be flaring up ..... Poor thing.... Having Crohn's is bad enough-(I have it, and it's rotten!), but to have cancer too. She must be a very strong lady.

Bless her heart !

Take Care,

Nova

Hey Kelly-

I am sorry your mom is having trouble with this-I know it is painful.

We made popsicles from carrot and apple juice for my mom when she could not swallow and they just sortof melted in her mouth without her having to 'swallow' much...

the doc also gave her some miracle mouthwash that has benzocaine and maalox-told her to swallow it and this 'numbed' her enough to get some liquid in her. The pharmacist can make it for you.

Sending lots of prayers your way

Blessings

Melissa

Kelly,

So sorry your mom has to endure this suffering. My husband had very severe problems during chemo/radiation and ended up unable to swallow which was because of an esophageal stricture. He had dilatations (stretching open)of his esophagus 8 times. He now eats anything he wants. He refused a feeding tube (Peg tube) but many do very well with them. Prayers for your mom. She is so strong.

Laurie

Kelly,

I came here to post my concerns for my mom but your story was so close to mine. My mom is currently in the hosptal. The pain to her esophagus was just to much. She couldn't even swallow water without being excruciating. SHe is getting IV pain meds and hydration. They also have given her two different liquids that she takes to numb her throat. She can then take in some water and eat a few popcicles. I too know this will pass but when?! I know how hard and frustrating this is first hand. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Please, if you find something that works pass it on to me and I will do the same. And thank you to all the reply's any advise or suggestions help.

Dana