Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe vent a little. (Well maybe I'll wait a bit before I do that.)

I found I had a large mass in my RUL back on March 24th, finally I got a biopsy last Monday, April 29th, Last Thursday they called me and told me it is malignant. It really wasn't a surprise to me to hear that, I had suspected as much back in February when I had spent the whole month with what I told myself was the flu and possibly light pneumonia or my yearly bout with bronchitis which they always send me home with lots of bed rest and fluids. I guess that I had blocked out the increasing shortness of breath and tiredness that had been increasing over the last 12 months or so, chalked it up to getting old and out of shape.

I turned 50 last year who knows how you should feel or when you should start feeling old. :D

This is the first time in my whole life I've ever been ill, besides the common cold, flu and other assorted illnesses. Never sick enough to go to the hospital at least. Seldom even bad enough to go to the doctor. So the whole experience is quite new to me.

Although this is my first time being ill, I've been through the whole lung cancer thing twice now, once with my father when he was 52 and then again with my 36 year old sister. I think there is a big hereditary factor in it at least in my fathers side of the family. Pretty much as far back as I can find all the men have died in thier late 40's and early 50's from lung cancer, smokers and non-smokers.

Anyway I was hesitant about Chemo, especially after seeing the effect of it on my father and sister,it seemed as if they were worse off with it rather than feeling better, but then they also had radiation therapy along with it. I am not eligible for radiation as the tumor is too large which may be a good thing for me or a bad thing I don't know yet.

I started Monday on an 80% dosage of Cisplatin and Etopiside, I want to see how the half dose would affect me before I go whole hog and do it. My biggest fear is that it will affect my mind and ability to make decisions. the same reasons I was fearful of the "dreaded" Morphine. I don't want to sleep the rest of my life away. I haven't so far so I have hopes that it wil stay that way. Also I haven't had any of the horrible side effects of the chemo yet except for a little diarrhea, if I feel a cough coming on I run forthe bathroom :oops:

Actually though I feel better than I have in a couple of weeks so I am taking things as they come. My biggest problem now is staying hydrated. It seems I am drying out really fast and I am drinking loads of water and kool aid and everything else I can find.

Thanks for letting me talk and best wishes for everyone who is also going through this.

David

Hi, David, welcome to the group.

I turned 50 last year who knows how you should feel or when you should start feeling old.

Ain't it the truth!!

I don't think you said how long ago it was that your dad and sister went through their chemo, but if it was a decade or so ago, keep in mind that some good advances have been made either in the chemo agents themselves or in "premed" drugs to minimize the side effects of the harsher chemicals. This is especially true with nausea, which used to be a real problem with lots of people. I went through all my chemo without the slightest hint of nausea, though I did have some other side effects. Like you, I haven't had radiation, but I do know that it typically adds to the fatigue factor.

Give us some more info on cell type, stage, scans, etc., preferably in a profile which will appear below each of your messages and save you a lot of typing in the future. Here's how:

Click on My Profile above, scroll down to the Signature block, enter/update your information, scroll down further, ensure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, and click Submit at the very bottom. From now on, your profile will attach to every message you send.

Ask as many questions as you like, and never hesitate to jump in with a comment even as a "newbie." You won't be a newbie for long! Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome David. It seems we have a few things in common.

I was 50 when I was told I had lung cancer in my Right Upper lobe.

As you see below, my treatment started with Cisplatin and Etopiside, but also daily radiation.

Do you have a central port for this chemo. Ask about one if not. It is better to have one.

I hope you also will celebrate your 60th birthday as I did !!!

Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hello David and welcome

So sorry you had reason to find a site like this but I am glad you joined this one.

Please let us know how we can help you as you fight this and know that we are always here for you. And always, ALWAYS feel free to vent. We are excellent listeners and we understand.

Warmly

Christine

David-

Welcome to the website - you will find lots of helpful people and insight here.

Everyone is very fearful in the beginning of chemo but, I for one, have been blessed with hardly any side effects. And once you are off those intial hard-core chemos, you may be put on something like Avastin or Alimta or even the pill Tarceva. Avastin and Alimta which are both chemos are much easier than the initial carbo/taxol I was on.

Please come here often, let us know more about you and remember to never give up!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Welcome to our board. I am sorry you have a need to be here. The beginning is hard-- vent away-- we've all been there as either the patient or the caregiver. We're here to listen. I hope your treatment plan gets great results.

Rochelle

Hi David, and welcome!

Sorry you've a reason to jind us but I'm really glad you did.

Both my father and my mother passed away in their mid-50's from lung cancer and you'll find there are a few members that seem to have a strong familial line...and, as you can see with Donna, we have some long-timers hanging around here, too! LOL

This is a wonderful place of information, support, and most importantly, of HOPE.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way~~

Welcome David,

Sounds like you have a good grasp on what you are dealing with.

I am an 8 year survivor of both nsclc and sclc. Currently going through chemo (again). There are alot of really good drugs now that help deal with chemo side effects. This is my 6th chemo over the years, also had radiation. I am feeling good (most days) and still working (part time). We are an auto racing family and I have only missed a few races due to surgeries. I am part of the crew and really like to be there when I can.

Just let us know how we can help you.

God Bless,

Nancy B

Welcome David,

Glad you found us. Glad you decided to take treatments. They have come a long way in chemo and meds to off set side effects. Everyone is different and reacts differently. Their are many survivors here who have been around for many years. Take it one step/one day at a time. Stay positive and focused. Research, research and more research-- Knowledge is the key! Attitude goes a long way on how one approaches things. Don't fall into the negative (who, what, when and why) trap, serves no purpose and is counter productive. Be pro-active and never never never give up! Lung cancer is not a death sentence and is doable-- one can still have a life and be active. Stay with us and lest us know how things are going. Lots of sharing, caring and support here. Prayers for the best.

Rich

Hi, David.

So sorry you had to join us, but hopeful that we can all be helpful as a support system (and a source of information: the amount of knowledge the patients and their families and friends here have amassed is incredible! Enough to put any oncologist to shame! :))

You mentioned your tumor, but not the grade, type or stage or if it has metastasized?

As to cisplatin and etoposide, that's the same chemo treatment I had last year (followed by taxotere). It wasn't so bad on me (they give you very good drugs :lol:), but I must admit that it was difficult for my family (both all the travel and the caregiving) and if I had it to do over again, I would have enlarged my "support system" (my daughter took on way too much of the burden... would have been much better if we'd arranged for more members of my extended family to help share that burden with her).

My very best to you!

Carole

David,

Welcome. I am so sorry you need to be here, but you have found a wonderful family of people who are blessed by our friendships and tears we shed with each other every day. Please know we are here for you...keep us posted.

Jen

Welcome David. I had same chemo mix as you and did not suffer too badly. Everyone is different though. And I also had radiation, with a fairly large tumour, that was very effective. I would recommend pursuing radiaition further as it was the big ticket item in clearing up my lung and lymph nodes. Glad you found this site. Lots of good info and support. and you have got it right, during chemo, drink and drink some more. Take care

Sandra

Hi David,

Welcome to this warm and friendly board. It's a place of information, and a super group of survivors/family members, and friends.

Let us know more as you move forward with your treatments?

(PS: .... and venting can be good for the soul :) .)

Barbara

David,

Welcome to our site. We hate to have so many new members because of the reason most have to come here. But, if you have Lung Cancer this is the very best place to be for support, information and yes, venting. I am now over 5 years out with stage IIIA NSCLC and there is no doubt that my treatments have made that possible. I was able to have surgery and followed with Carboplatin and etopiside. Then I had radiation just to "make sure". Yes I had side effects but never bad enough to tell myself it wasn't totally worth it all to increase my chances of survival.

I am glad you decided to take treatments and glad that you found this wonderful group of people. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Nina