Scan Time--Up Date 7/14--Pleural Effusion

fillise

Mom goes for her 3 month scan tomorrow. I'm hopeful that the tumor in her lung will remain stable, but am a little concerned about some complaints she has had about pain in her ribs. She will see her onc and get the results on the 14th.

Susan

I just spoke with Mom and the CT scan showed a pleural effusion. She is going to have it drained next Tuesday and then she will go back to the Onc. on the 28th to discuss. I knew the pain and tightness she haad been describing in her chest was a signal that something was up.

So I need to know everything you wise sages know about plural effusions.

I've been over the Grace, and will do a search here, but first hand experience is always best.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan,

I know nothing about pleural effusions , other than what I have read here. I hope our members will be able to share some good information with you . I'm so sorry that this showed up on your mom's scan. Please keep us posted and know that I will keep her and you in my prayers.

Hugs,

Sue

Susan, I had a pleural effusion and they drained 2 liters of fluid off my left lung. They gave me a local and I was awake and leaning on a little table or shelf throughout the procedure. They entered from my back to do the draining. It was most uncomfortable but they did keep offering me morphine. I stupidly kept refusing because I often vomit with pain killers and I was afraid to. The doc finally told the nurse to give me a little. As I recall the pain subsides pretty immediately when the fluid is gone. Your mom is tough. I'm sure she'll do fine. Wish her the best for me. She's one of my heros.

Judy in Key West

Sorry don't know anything about pleural effusions. Dad supposedly had one that was going to be drained but he wound up with a heart attack from going off of his Plavix and then had to have LASIX that apparently cleared up the pleural effusion.......crazy! Thoughts and prayers for a great outcome.

My husband had the pleural effusion done twice before they finally inserted a chest tube because it just kept coming back He then had the pluradesis done with the talc that sealed the lung. The pleural effusion wasn't actually that bad for him. He coughed a lot after the procedure but that is because the lung has spasms which are expected. The chest tube however was very painful for him since he refused to be sedated in anyway. Afterward he certainly wished he had though.