Hospice for Tim

Anniemac

More bad news on the boards. When will it ever end??

Tim's has new tumors in his chest and maybe in his right lung. He was on Iressa for almost 2 months and it seemed to be working at the beginning. He was strong enough to go to CA for a weeks vacation at the beginning of December. It was a good visit, kids and granddaughter and friends and family. He was pretty beat when we got back and has spent more time in bed.

His lung was very congested during the last week and I had to call our onc on the 26th because he was so short of breath. He had a CT and a bone scan done on the 22nd and the doc told me that they were not good at all. The disease was progressing and there was nothing left to offer us but hospice. He said anything they would try at this point would be so hard on his system that it would do more harm than good. He doesn't have much reserve left and has never been able to put on the weight he lost. He's not eating much at all now. Half a boost, 1/2 a tuna sandwich and 1/2 a glass of milk today.

They brought oxygen tonight and want him on it all the time. Tomorrow he will have a blood transfusion and hospice will start on Wed.

How do I deal with this?? How do you watch the person you love go through this?? I guess I will because I have no choice, but this sucks big time!!

My niece is moving up her wedding from the spring to less than a month so her Uncle Tim will be able to come. My heart breaks for all my friends here who have lost loved ones to this beast. Now I will be one of them.

Annie,

If you've read my posts here you know I'm a "wordsmith", but ... there are no words to express my anquish for you and Tim. Please know that I will be praying for both of you.

I'm on hospice also. They are wonderful folks who have helped me and my wife tremendously. Lean on them all you can.

Dean

Oh Annie I am so sorry ((((((HUG)))))))

I am saying non-stop prayers for Tim. I am praying that the transfusion bring him strength and that Hospice will bring him comfort.

I wish that I could offer some words of wisdom on how one goes through this, but there are none. I can't image the strength and courage it takes to say good-bye to the person you love. Knowing he will always be with you in love does not lessen the pain that comes with missing him. I am here for you, always if you ever want to talk. My heart is going out to you.

Have you gotten any other opinions on further treatment, or are you both comfortable with the war you've waged thus far, and feel that it is time for rest and peace? I have heard of patients who've gone into hospice and built their strength up enough to resume treatment. I pray for that miracle for you and Tim. But if that is not the course you chose or is not an option, I pray that this final time is one of pain-free peaceful blessings and gentle farewells.

God Bless You,

Carleen

Dear Annie,

I am sending big (((HUGS)))) to you. I am so sorry that Tim is not doing good. As Carleen said, have you gotten any other opinions. You and Tim are in my prayers everyday and remember miracles do happen. God be with you both during this difficult time in your lives. Thinking of you both.

God Bless...

Karen

A wise person once said

''That someone to love,

something to do,

and something to hope for

is the essence of a happy life''

You have it all at the moment, but day by day only, make the maximum

of each day, that is the important part for both of you.

Best wishes.

J.C.

so very very sorry to hear your bad news----

how very heartbreaking for you and your family to go through this---my thoughts are with you and your family at this very trying time

sincerely

Dear Annie,

It is just horrible to watch the one you love more than anything go thru this. I will be thinking and praying for you. I always thought hospice was only for end of life, but have since discovered that they are there to help very ill people with everyday functions.

Don't give up hope. Don't be sad each minute. Love Tim, laugh with Tim, cuddle with Tim.

Hospice told a sister of my dear friend with ALS to make every day HAPPY. And really that is all any of us can ask.

Ginny

Ohhh Annie !!!

I'm so saddened by this, my heart also goes out to you, I know there's nothing that can be said to make it better for you but please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

may God bless and keep you and Tim in your time of need!!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Annie,

Carleen said it all beautifully.

May your days together be filled with grace, and may God bless you with strength you need to see this through.

Today, at least, with hospice we can be cared for in spirit as well as body having waged a good fight. Bless you both, and know you are in my prayers.

MaryAnn

Annie,

Life is so fragile, and the time we have here on this earth is but a blink of an eye. I am so sad for you and Tim, it hurts all of us here on this board that have invested in your story. I for one, feel as though I know you well by reading your posts. I wish that I were superman, and turn the earth backwards very fast, so that I could undo all the sadness on this board. I would bring back Katie B.'s Dad- Jessie, Lenny, Greg, Ada, too many to name. Better yet, I would go back in time and stop this disease from ever happening! But alas, I can do none of these things. What I can do is pray for you. May God watch over you both and bless you with his divine healing spirit.

Cheryl

Dear Annie,

I know where you are right now and can feel your pain for I fear we are not to far away in the caring of our loved ones.

WE both know what we have to do for our loved one and we will do it no matter how much it hurts. Cancer is an ugly illness for it has so many hopes then denials of those hopes. I guess in the long run we can be thankful for the many years we have had with them and the great times that were shared with our honey's. I know that we all will pass on from this life for that is the way of life and for Buddy and I as with you and Tim, we had a good run at life together so what ever happens tomorrow, it was meant to be. God Bless both of you.

Annie and Tim,

I too am so saddened by this last turn of events. There is nothing harder in life than what you are both going through right now.

Take all the help and support you both need at this time.

If I may suggest this without heartache, write to each other. Put your thoughts in writing so you have that to hold in the days to come and take pictures.

I know that both of your hearts are breaking at this time. But take the time to be with each other and just treasure life for what it is.

You are in my prayers.

Wishing you enough....

Much love,

Shirley